Stowers optioned, Gillaspie up

SteveA

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So, who starts in RF if Santander is DH? I hope not Vavra or Frazier. If Santander is in RF, then who is the DH (other than when Adley is)? These are the perfect spots for Cowser. He should be able to get 4-5 starts a week. 

Right now if you have Hays/Ced/Santander in the OF, Gunnar/Mateo/Frazier/Mountcastle at 1st, and Adley catching, the 5 remaining players are Ortiz, McCann, McKenna, Vavra, and O'Hearn.   So one of those is DH.   vs LH McKenna probably starts in the OF and Santander DHs;  when Adley gets a day off from catching he DHs and McCann catches;  and vs righties Vavra and O'Hearn probably share DH.   Ortiz maybe plays 2B vs lefties, and maybe gets a day here and there vs RH if Mateo gets the day off.

7 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So, who starts in RF if Santander is DH? I hope not Vavra or Frazier. If Santander is in RF, then who is the DH (other than when Adley is)? These are the perfect spots for Cowser. He should be able to get 4-5 starts a week. 

Maybe Frazier, opening up some PT for Ortiz.

5 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Stowers has the most baffling development plan we never saw.

He got two weeks of consistent playing time.  I would have gave him a few more weeks, but this team is trying to win now, and with Urias' injury, they prefer to have Ortiz on the roster.  Fair enough.

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Stowers has the most baffling development plan we never saw.

It’s not that baffling.  All signs point to there not being a strong consensus within the organization regarding Stowers.   Still, if he had hit or shown something positive offensively he’d probably still be here.  Henderson is a nugget.  Stowers is not.   Eventually, we’ll see how they handle Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, etc.

Vavra or Ortiz will likely only be up until they feel McKenna can play.  When McKenna is full go, send Vavra out and bring up Cowser. When Urias is back, Ortiz goes down.

Make Cowser the starting RF with Santander getting most of his time at DH.  My two cents.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

It’s not that baffling.  All signs point to there not being a strong consensus within the organization regarding Stowers.   Still, if he had hit or shown something positive offensively he’d probably still be here.  Henderson is a nugget.  Stowers is not.   Eventually, we’ll see how they handle Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, etc.

I agree with this take.  In other circumstances I’d be more patient with Stowers, but he looked really bad and we have other immediate needs right now.  I hope he keeps his chin up and gets back in gear at Norfolk.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We don’t have a Gillespie.   We have a Gillaspie, and a Gillispie.   It’s the former who was called up.

And the reporter is Andy Kostka, not Costka.  

Sorry for the misspellings, heard Kostka on the radio driving to work, the move actually happened while Vinnie and Bob were interviewed him on 105.7.   Pulled into a parking spot at work, grabbed my phone, saw no one had posted it, so I hurriedly posted it before going into work.

• Upvote 3

• SteveA changed the title to Stowers optioned, Gillaspie up
5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You could even live with some adjustment to MLB pitching if we saw some plus defense, but he doesn't look to be an improvement over Santander, and that's not a very high bar. With a possible playoff team and other prospects chomping at the bit, we can't afford a long leash. I do wish he had been given more of a chance early in the season when we thought he'd be our opening day RF, but the way he has played has backed up what appears to be the organization view on him. 

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Sorry for the misspellings, heard Kostka on the radio driving to work, the move actually happened while Vinnie and Bob were interviewed him on 105.7.   Pulled into a parking spot at work, grabbed my phone, saw no one had posted it, so I hurriedly posted it before going into work.

Thanks for posting it, and sorry for busting your chops.   

Even as one of Stowers' biggest supporters on here, he earned this demotion. He needs to get out of this funk. I don't know if the pressure got him or because they never let him face left-handers (which he hits better) but Stowers looked totally over matched at the plate. 

Now why Gillaspie? He's most rested reliever on the 40-man in Norfolk. He won't be here long. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We don’t have a Gillespie.   We have a Gillaspie, and a Gillispie.   It’s the former who was called up.

And the reporter is Andy Kostka, not Costka.  

Damn man, who pee'd in your cheerios this morning? :D 

• Haha 3