Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

2 hours ago, MikeAD said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38024142/mlb-trade-deadline-2023-shohei-ohtani-angels-yankees-dodgers-mets-rangers

Proposed deal: OF/1B Heston Kjerstad, 3B Coby Mayo, LHP Cade Povich, LHP DL Hall

With the Rays faltering and the Rangers and Astros having some of the same pitching concerns as Baltimore, now is absolutely the time for the Orioles to make the biggest trade in franchise history since they acquired Frank Robinson. If they acquire Ohtani, they would be the best team in the American League -- and no team is better equipped to make a deal than the Orioles, who have the best farm system in the majors. Heck, it's so deep they won't be able to play all these guys anyway. It's more loaded in position players and the Angels probably want some pitching, so we're including two hitting stars and two potential lefty starters. And, no, don't even ask about Jackson Holliday. -- David Schoenfield

Screw that crap.  I would rather take my chances in the playoffs with all the prospects still in the org.  Hell most of them will be depended on by NEXT season anyway.  Screw this insanity.  

The guy is rental.  What happens if he comes over and gets a blister?  NO WAY.  

Edited by Gurgi
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MikeAD said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38024142/mlb-trade-deadline-2023-shohei-ohtani-angels-yankees-dodgers-mets-rangers

Proposed deal: OF/1B Heston Kjerstad, 3B Coby Mayo, LHP Cade Povich, LHP DL Hall

With the Rays faltering and the Rangers and Astros having some of the same pitching concerns as Baltimore, now is absolutely the time for the Orioles to make the biggest trade in franchise history since they acquired Frank Robinson. If they acquire Ohtani, they would be the best team in the American League -- and no team is better equipped to make a deal than the Orioles, who have the best farm system in the majors. Heck, it's so deep they won't be able to play all these guys anyway. It's more loaded in position players and the Angels probably want some pitching, so we're including two hitting stars and two potential lefty starters. And, no, don't even ask about Jackson Holliday. -- David Schoenfield

Those trades are so all over the place.  They have some teams giving up a ton and then other teams like the Mets and Yanks offering players that would not even be in our top 6-8 prospects.  I do agree though that a team from the West coast like the Giants may be willing to give up more rightfully so because that gives them a leg up they believe in keeping him there and signing as a free agent.  It an easier pill to swallow and give up top prospects if you believe you can resign him for 8 more years.   

17 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Screw that crap.  I would rather take my chances in the playoffs with all the prospects still in the org.  Hell most of them will be depended on by NEXT season anyway.  Screw this insanity.  

The guy is rental.  What happens if he comes over and gets a blister?  NO WAY.  

Maybe if this was the last hurrah for this group of players you make that deal for Ohtani.

This is just the beginning for O’s and many more prospects are in the pipeline. There’s no way you make this deal unless there are some assurances Ohtani will sign a contract extension. 

30 minutes ago, johnrambo said:

Ohtani comes from Japan. They are a conservative and bashful people. Baltimore is the hood. If you wonder around 80% of Baltimore at night you are liable to get shanked. Do not trade for Ohtani. He will never resign here.

If Ohtani resigns here he's going to buy a nice estate in Reisterstown or Cockeysville next to a thoroughbred horse farm like Ripken did and chill out in the burbs.  Or maybe Ellicott City if he wants to be near an Asian enclave.  He ain't comin to the city except to go to the stadium or the immediate vicinity..

• Upvote 1

I don't really know which one is definitely the better move here, but if we decided, forget Ohtani and trade 2 prospects for Montgomery instead of the 4 or 5 it would take to get Ohtani.... I'd still be pretty happy.  We still need pitching and Montgomery fits the bill.  Ohtani's hitting puts him over the top, sure, but it's a bit of a luxury for us.  Not that I'm opposed to bludgeoning teams for 10 runs every game.

Edited by Hallas

40 minutes ago, johnrambo said:

Ohtani comes from Japan. They are a conservative and bashful people. Baltimore is the hood. If you wonder around 80% of Baltimore at night you are liable to get shanked. Do not trade for Ohtani. He will never resign here.

And you wonder why you weren't offered the Baltimore Director of Tourism position....''

• Haha 1

People around baseball are just rooting for the Angels to fleece some team.  So they can bring it up for the next twenty years how a team gave away their future for a rental that cratered in the playoffs in the first round.  They want another Hershel Walker trade.  In no way in hell am I doing that if I am Elias.  No way he treats this team like his last chance to win before his owner dies like Steinbrenner in 09.  Or the Orioles before Peter lost sense of what is happening.  

We have no pressure we should do things smart and with an eye for the long term.  

56 minutes ago, johnrambo said:

This post should be downvoted into oblivion. 

1 minute ago, johnrambo said:

We're in America dude. The Constitution is the law of the land. 

You clearly have no idea how it works, dude. I'll help you out because you are a lot bit slow.

The First Amendment only prevents government restrictions on speech. It does not prevent restrictions on speech imposed by private individuals or businesses.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 2