Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Kiké Hernandez averaged 300 at-bats for the Dodgers from 2015-2019 and was an integral part of winning teams. That is the kind of role I see for Ortiz if everything goes well with other infielders.

The problem with that, at least as I see it, is that is not a luxury that is afforded to us because we don't have the Dodgers starting pitching from that time period nor their financial willingness/spending power. 

We may be able to get a quality bullpen arm without trading Ortiz, but I'm not sure that I see us acquiring a really good starter another way. Right now I see us with 2 good starters, 1 decent one, a wildcard in Grayson and an aging Gibson (who is historically a mediocre pitcher at best who get's worse in the second half).

We may be able to patch is together for the remaining 69 games. But when we get to the postseason, it is likely that we are going to need better.

Maybe we don't have to trade Ortiz and can still upgrade our roster to give ourselves a good shot at beating the Rangers/Rays? But if we do, we have more than enough positional players to cover for his loss. 

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm saying that for a rental, no matter how good the player, it would be easy for him to stink in a short series.  All Star/MVP guys have 1 for 20 stretches. 

That statement can be made for any player. A rental, a regular, a $30 million a year free agent.

There’s more to baseball than what a guy does in a short series. Whoever the Orioles may acquire in the next few weeks, they need to be evaluated on their performance from their first day on the team to their last. Not exclusively based on 2-3 days of work.

Halos
2:01
If we are 10 games out, would Baltimore part with Grayson Rodriguez and Jackson Holliday for 2 months of the unicorn?

I can't believe I have been giving some posters here a hard time about unrealistic trades.  This would be the stupidest trade ever.  #1 prospect in baseball plus former #1 pitching prospect in baseball.  lol

https://theathletic.com/4701876/2023/07/19/ohtani-orioles-yankees-trade-deadline/?source=user_shared_article

A package for Ohtani could include one of first baseman Ryan Mountcastle, outfielder Colton Cowser (No. 13 in the BA rankings), third baseman Coby Mayo (No. 32) or outfielder Heston Kjerstad (No. 66), plus one of a middle-infield group that includes Jordan Westburg (No. 46), Joey Ortiz (No. 77) or César Prieto. Catcher Samuel Basallo(No. 59) could be in play. So could a pitching prospect such as lefty Cade Povich or righty Seth Johnson, the latter of whom is recovering from Tommy John surgery.

I posted on Monday that Mountcastle to the Angels makes a lot of sense. 

If EBJ is the future in CF, in the grand scheme of things the org may need to choose between a Cowser and Kjerstad. I’m not sure that everyone of Hays, Santander and Mullins depart by 2025. 

I’ve speculated a while that Westburg is the man out in the future infield. I don’t expect it to be this year and I would hesitate to give up a package of Mountcastle, Cowser/Kjerstad, Ortiz/Westburg and Povich/Johnson (really hope not Seth Johnson) for two months of Ohtani. 

I suppose that’s a type of package that hurts the org the least but mortgaging the future for this year only to lose Ohtani in the off-season and get nothing for him would hurt. 

In my opinion there isn't too much drop off between Kjerstad and Cowser so if they want Cowser and Cowser could get us Shohei Ohtani and by some miracle the ownership group would be on board with a plan to attempt to resign him, I'd be all for that. 

I think Kjerstad has more steady power anyways.

And for that you get arguably the greatest baseball player of all time in the middle of a race to the World Series, with that player potentially dethroning Aaron Judge by breaking the AL Home Run record in an Orioles Uniform.

And fans from all around the nation would come to see Camden Yards and Shohei Ohtani, which means more revenue.

There are obviously deals for Ohtani that we should make. There are guys we would hate to lose for a rental but would still do it.

There is also the aspect of revenue and how much he would generate and how appealing that would be to Angelos.

The excitement level would be off the charts.

If we got him and we won a WS, no one would care what we dealt for him but I think there is a limit to what you would deal for all of this.

The blister issue is a big problem too.

• Upvote 2

the FO must do a 5 - 6 player trade to get Ohtani. Once he gets to Baltimore and experiences the charm of the Inner Harbor and Fells Point he will fall in love and stay forever. I can see him eating at Phillips and ESPN and renting paddle boats to check out the harbor. Strolling along Federal Hill and even Ice Skating at Charles Center. It would be a huge win for him.

• Haha 1

I understand that we would essentially be trading for an all-time great hitter AND a ToR pitcher, only for the remainder of this season.  So, is acquiring an all-time great in his prime for the remainder of this season worth losing the six years of every prospect we'd deal?  Not if it includes Holliday, Cowser, Westburg, Kjerstad, or Mayo.  I could part with Mountcastle, Ortiz, Basallo, and any pitcher in our system, but it likely wouldn't be enough.  BTW, that package, especially Ortiz and Basallo, would be a heck of a get for some team.

2 hours ago, Sammy Seagull said:

the FO must do a 5 - 6 player trade to get Ohtani. Once he gets to Baltimore and experiences the charm of the Inner Harbor and Fells Point he will fall in love and stay forever. I can see him eating at Phillips and ESPN and renting paddle boats to check out the harbor. Strolling along Federal Hill and even Ice Skating at Charles Center. It would be a huge win for him.

ESPN??? You must not live in the market...lol

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38024142/mlb-trade-deadline-2023-shohei-ohtani-angels-yankees-dodgers-mets-rangers

Proposed deal: OF/1B Heston Kjerstad, 3B Coby Mayo, LHP Cade Povich, LHP DL Hall

With the Rays faltering and the Rangers and Astros having some of the same pitching concerns as Baltimore, now is absolutely the time for the Orioles to make the biggest trade in franchise history since they acquired Frank Robinson. If they acquire Ohtani, they would be the best team in the American League -- and no team is better equipped to make a deal than the Orioles, who have the best farm system in the majors. Heck, it's so deep they won't be able to play all these guys anyway. It's more loaded in position players and the Angels probably want some pitching, so we're including two hitting stars and two potential lefty starters. And, no, don't even ask about Jackson Holliday. -- David Schoenfield

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38024142/mlb-trade-deadline-2023-shohei-ohtani-angels-yankees-dodgers-mets-rangers

Proposed deal: OF/1B Heston Kjerstad, 3B Coby Mayo, LHP Cade Povich, LHP DL Hall

With the Rays faltering and the Rangers and Astros having some of the same pitching concerns as Baltimore, now is absolutely the time for the Orioles to make the biggest trade in franchise history since they acquired Frank Robinson. If they acquire Ohtani, they would be the best team in the American League -- and no team is better equipped to make a deal than the Orioles, who have the best farm system in the majors. Heck, it's so deep they won't be able to play all these guys anyway. It's more loaded in position players and the Angels probably want some pitching, so we're including two hitting stars and two potential lefty starters. And, no, don't even ask about Jackson Holliday. -- David Schoenfield

If that is the deal it takes to get Ohtani, by my calculations there is 1 team who can make that trade….in other words, that ain’t happening.

I have been fairly negative on Elias’ ability to be buyers at the deadline effectively but after reading Rosenthal’s trade proposal and Orioles Twitter trade proposals, I’d rather them do nothing. Pure insanity IMO. I get it is Ohtani but no way in hell am I sending them 4 top prospects for a rental. Are people high? Go get Montgomery from the Cardinals and a couple bp arms. 

• Thanks 1