Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

By Rangers I mean if he's traded.

I think he won't be as the owner will get involved.

Unless the Angels have a complete collapse over the next week, I agree. They are 4 games out with 3 teams to catch. Not sure how you could support trading him off if you are that close with 50-ish games to go. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

It's a short list. Basically the fiscally irresponsible teams that are in contention. It would be absolutely hysterical if the Mets or Padres traded for him, because I really don't think either team is a contender. 

Honestly, the team that should trade for Ohtani is the Guardians. They desperately need offense and are only 4 games back in the Central. They could headline the deal with Allen, Bibee, or Williams and have Ohtani take whoever they trade's spot in the rotation. And then pay the Angel's to take on the remaining year of J.Bell's contract (they need a 1B). 

The Mets have 3 top 100 prospects. One higher than the ranges of Ortiz/Norby. Why would they give up all of that in a season where they are not going to contend when they can offer him the most lucrative contract in FA in the offseason? You do know that they have much more money than ANY OTHER TEAM right?

I guess the Padres could surrender Jackson Merrill for 2 months of Ohtani. But they are not exactly in contention right now. And the would be letting him walk in the offseason because they have too much money already tied up in big contracts to outbid the other suitors for his services in FA.

And the Guardians? Is this serious? Have you ever known the Guardians to do anything like yes, let's nuke our future for a 2 month rental when we are not even a .500 team?

22 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I was thinking fewer innings....the high leverage ones.   Just trying to think outside the box.  It helps our lineup and our bullpen.  I guess it's a pretty bad idea, huh?

Yes, it's a bad idea. Pitching more frequently as a reliever is only going to irritate the blister more.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's funny you cite fiscally irresponsible teams.

I think Ohtani will likely pay for himself in increased revenue for the club that trades for him.  He's owed 12M or so?

I also think it's the Rangers.

Listening to MLB radio this morning, Steve Phillips cited a report that the Angels do not want to send him to any "direct competitors" i.e. no Dodgers, no team in their division.

6 hours ago, dystopia said:

We have plenty of outfield depth and Mullins should be back for the playoffs. 

A lot of things "should" happen.  We have outfielders but not many iof them can play CF.   Cowser hasn't looked great in CF.  After that it's McKenna, who's basically an AAAA player/5th outfielder.  Not really ideal as your only CF depth.  If Hicks bounces back quickly, maybe it's better?

Bellinger covers for Mullins now, while we have an immediate need, and solidifies out outfield defense in LF/RF down the stretch when Mullins comes back.

7 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Unless the Angels have a complete collapse over the next week, I agree. They are 4 games out with 3 teams to catch. Not sure how you could support trading him off if you are that close with 50-ish games to go. 

It's probably STILL the right call to trade him, but I agree, making up 4 games with 50 to go is definitely doable if they go on a heater or two. They are really in an awkward spot. Not much is likely to change before the deadline, standings-wise, so I agree they almost certainly hang onto him. 

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I know it's all speculation and hearsay at this point, but wasn't it leaked that the Angels won't trade to a competitor which kinda nixes their division and/or the Dodgers?

That would be sheer stupidity... assuming that if they trade him it;s bacuse they are out of it... if you were the Angels wouldn't you love to get all their top prospects and then sign Ohtani in the offseason. That would be awesome.

7 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Or you could just call up Kjerstead now and get him acclimated for October if Hicks goes on the IL. Remember, Frazier can play right or left in short porch spots too.

I don't trust Frazier anywhere on field any farther than I can throw him.  Which coincidentially is about the same distance that Frazier can throw a baseball these days.

Just now, Fan4Life said:

That would be sheer stupidity... assuming that if they trade him it;s bacuse they are out of it... if you were the Angels wouldn't you love to get all their top prospects and then sign Ohtani in the offseason. That would be awesome.

It's the owner not the GM.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

But isn’t Ohtani 2 players? Also, I can’t see how Bellinger could help us more than Ohtani. I could understand not wanting to pay the increased cost, but in terms of ability, they are not close IMO. Maybe there is something I’m not considering?

Ohtani can't/won't play CF, we have our starting CF on the injured list for an indeterminate period of time, and our backup CF came up lame yesterday.

Honestly, I think Ohtani could play the outfield just fine, but no team is crazy enough to put him on the field when he's not pitching and risk him blowing his arm out on an outfield throw.

Edited by Hallas

1 minute ago, Fan4Life said:

I think the contention... (I'm trying to remember where the heck I read this) is that they were worried he would then negotiate a contract extension while with that team and then they'd be playing against him for the foreseeable future.  They were more likely to trade him to a team there was no chance he'd re-sign (like us haha).  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's probably STILL the right call to trade him, but I agree, making up 4 games with 50 to go is definitely doable if they go on a heater or two. They are really in an awkward spot. Not much is likely to change before the deadline, standings-wise, so I agree they almost certainly hang onto him. 

Well if they become buyers instead of sellers they may be able to add some pieces that move their needle enough.

13 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Thoughts like this are short sighted.  Literally everyone in the East is alive.  The good news is that being in first place means the Orioles control their destiny.

Today.

If the Orioles win the AL East (and get the Wildcard bye), it is highly unlikely that they will face the Yanks or Red Sox in the postseason. Furthermore, IMO the days are over (at least for the next few years) where the Yankees and Red Sox are some sort of boogey man. They are just not that good. They both have old an expensive rosters, and don't have a lot of prospects/emerging players. And are not the the biggest kids on the block when it comes to financial spending power anymore. Steve Cohen has more money in his war chest than then either the Yanks or the Red Sox (may be both combined). If he wants to, the Mets will outbid either in the offseason. Also, there are teams with billionaire owners who have made massive money outside of baseball like the Padres and Rangers who can probably compete with the Yankees and most likely outbid the Res Sox for any high priced FA. You know, kind of like how the Pads signed Bogaerts away from the Red Sox this past offseason. And then there are the Dodgers who have more spending power than the Yankees or Red Sox, you know like that time that they gave Mookie Betts the long term contract that the Red Sox couldn't.