If you were Adley, what contract terms would you agree to today if offered?

kidrock

35 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

The conclusion is that Adley is not profit over everything type of a guy. Meanwhile, Gunnar has a very robotic feel to him and his game. Gunnar is about that green. No doubt about that. Probably keeps an eye on his OPS every night (which he says he does) and thinks about hitting free agency as soon as possible so he can play for 35 million dollars a year somewhere in New York, Chicago, Philadelphia or Southern California where the media market can support that kind of contract. 

30 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Adley said he doesn't care about stats, he just wants to enjoy playing baseball. Gunnar is a religious OPS watcher. Add in Boras and yea, Gunnar has green in his eyes. 

These are some of the scorchiest hot takes I've seen on here in awhile.

I'm not a Boras apologist, but to think that every other agent NOT named Scott Boras isn't out to get the maximum value for their client is silly.  To think that a player that doesn't go with Boras as his agent doesn't care about money is also absurd.

Boras has been an agent since the early 80s, he's been an agent almost as long as free agency has been a thing, which gives him a significant leg up on any of his competitors.  There's a value to being first to market and since he's been doing this longer than anyone else out there it has been beneficial to asserting himself as one of the faces of sports agents.

He's also not afraid to ruffle feathers or speak to the media, which some don't appreciate.   Like every other agent, he exists to get the best possible value for his players and to look out for their best interests.  It's obvious that he does this exceptionally well, his agency is one of the most valuable in the world.

I'm not sure why this makes him a bad person.  Like I said, every agent out there is out to get the most dollars and the best deal he can for his client.  

• Upvote 1

The agent works for the player.

If the player wants to maximize earnings that is what the agent looks to do.  If the player wants long term security at an early stage of the process that is what the agent will do.  If a player wants to play for team X for life, the agent tries to make that happen.

Schoop was a Boras client and he wanted to sign multi-year extension with the Tigers.  He got one.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

These are some of the scorchiest hot takes I've seen on here in awhile.

I'm not a Boras apologist, but to think that every other agent NOT named Scott Boras isn't out to get the maximum value for their client is silly.  To think that a player that doesn't go with Boras as his agent doesn't care about money is also absurd.

Boras has been an agent since the early 80s, he's been an agent almost as long as free agency has been a thing, which gives him a significant leg up on any of his competitors.  There's a value to being first to market and since he's been doing this longer than anyone else out there it has been beneficial to asserting himself as one of the faces of sports agents.

He's also not afraid to ruffle feathers or speak to the media, which some don't appreciate.   Like every other agent, he exists to get the best possible value for his players and to look out for their best interests.  It's obvious that he does this exceptionally well, his agency is one of the most valuable in the world.

I'm not sure why this makes him a bad person.  Like I said, every agent out there is out to get the most dollars and the best deal he can for his client.  

Boras is such a hardass that hes arguably the boss in the relationship between he and the player. The man has his own logo for christ sake. Agents and players who dont try and squeeze every last dime out of their contracts actually often times face the wrath of Boras and the MLBPA. 

This America. You can make as much money as you want. Hell, the top marginal tax rate is only 37%. It used to be 70% as recently as 1980 and went down to 28% by the end of the decade. 

Look man, you have every right to make unlimited dollars. But at some point, you've made enough. If you're a greedy person we have the right to call somebody greedy.

1 minute ago, Mr-splash said:

Boras is such a hardass that hes arguably the boss in the relationship between he and the player. The man has his own logo for christ sake. Agents and players who dont try and squeeze every last dime out of their contracts actually often times face the wrath of Boras and the MLBPA. 

This America. You can make as much money as you want. Hell, the top marginal tax rate is only 37%. It used to be 70% as recently as 1980 and went down to 28% by the end of the decade. 

Look man, you have every right to make unlimited dollars. But at some point, you've made enough. If you're a greedy person we have the right to call somebody greedy.

No he's not.

He's the employee.

A player just dropped him as representation this week.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mr-splash said:

No, to @Can_of_corn's point, he's there to serve his players.  Per the Schoop anecdote, he got what he wanted, which is a multi-year deal from the Tigers.  Schoop wasn't out there trying to get the most dollars.

Boras isn't the boss in the relationship between him and the player, that's lazy thinking and it's wrong.  And any company that big has their own logo, that's nothing new.  

If you're here to cry about how much people make, that sounds like you've got a problem with other people making money.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, to @Can_of_corn's point, he's there to serve his players.  Per the Schoop anecdote, he got what he wanted, which is a multi-year deal from the Tigers.  Schoop wasn't out there trying to get the most dollars.

Boras isn't the boss in the relationship between him and the player, that's lazy thinking and it's wrong.  And any company that big has their own logo, that's nothing new.  

If you're here to cry about how much people make, that sounds like you've got a problem with other people making money.  

I wouldn't have as much an issue with it if I wasnt an Orioles fan. We have neither the means nor the desire from ownership to spend big money. If Gunnar hits FA and looks for the biggest deal then hes as good as gone. We cannot compete with the large media markets. I was there when Mussina bailed for NY. I was there when Machado bailed for southern California. 

Edited by Mr-splash

7 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

I wouldn't have as much an issue with it if I wasnt an Orioles fan. We have neither the means nor the desire from ownership to spend big money. If Gunnar hits FA and looks for the biggest deal then hes as good as gone. We cannot compete with the large media markets. I was there when Mussina bailed for NY. I was there when Machado bailed for southern California. 

You were also there when Boras got Chris Davis to stay.  You were also there when Matt Weiters stayed in Baltimore, too.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

You were also there when Boras got Chris Davis to stay.  You were also there when Matt Weiters stayed in Baltimore, too.

I dont like Boras guys. I'm not surprised Davis tanked after the huge deal. Everybody knew it. Davis lied about getting in the cage in the off season. Palmer already exposed the man for not putting in the work. Gunnar is on the team for the next 6 years. 

9 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

O's could have kept Machado.  They brought Davis back and extended guys like Hardy and O'day instead.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

I dont like Boras guys. I'm not surprised Davis tanked after the huge deal. Everybody knew it. Davis lied about getting in the cage in the off season. Palmer already exposed the man for not putting in the work. Gunnar is on the team for the next 6 years. 

Well if Gunnar becomes a great player, you're not allowed to enjoy him.  And if Gunnar suddenly drops Boras and goes with another agent, you're not allowed to suddenly start liking him, too.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No he's not.

He's the employee.

A player just dropped him as representation this week.

He's influential and a great salesman to get players on board with things that are often not in their best interest.  More often than not, it works out, and he does maximize their career earnings.  But a lot of times - as far back as Jason Varitek and JD Drew come to mind, he's successfully influenced the players to go along with things to fight back against the system or set a new precedent that was 100% not in those players' best interests.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mr-splash said:

According to calculations here the Orioles can comfortably add roughly $80 in payroll, with that they can certainly compete with the larger makets on a strategic basis. Ownership simply chooses not to.  

6 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

According to calculations here the Orioles can comfortably add roughly $80 in payroll, with that they can certainly compete with the larger makets on a strategic basis. Ownership simply chooses not to.  

True, but somebody like Gerrit Cole is not an option for the Orioles. We can't compete in FA for the aces.

3 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

True, but somebody like Gerrit Cole is not an option for the Orioles. We can't compete in FA for the aces.

And they really shouldn’t.

But trading for a Luis Castillo type guy and signing him to a manageable extension should be on the table.

There is a reason elite talents like Henderson and Holliday trust The Boras Corporation with their career.  Matt Holliday who knows much more than you and I and could have chosen any agent for his son-he went with Boras.

Boras and Elias have a cordial relationship, Boras has made  positive statements both publicly and privately about Elias.  Boras is one of the few agents Elias meets with each year to present the "Orioles Vision" or plan.  The only thing preventing the Orioles from spending is ownership.