Kremer and Bradish are playoff starters

wildcard

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Whether they will start playoff games (the original postulate..)

Or will successfully start playoff games...

Are two different questions.

Given the current situation.. it is likely that Bradish and Kremer will start playoff games.

Sure, so will Gibson. Lots of guys start games.

But I believe the point of the post is that we should feel good about these guys starting playoff games.  

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure, so will Gibson. Lots of guys start games.

But I believe the point of the post is that we should feel good about these guys starting playoff games.  

That may have been WC's somewhat optimistic point... but I took the post at it's title premise.

That Kremer and Bradish will be starting playoff games... which on it's face will likely turn out to be true.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Not sure about Kremer. He would be 4th for me. It's not a given he pitches depending on the schedule and how far we get.

He may be 4th... but I suspect we'd use 4 with any success at all in the post season.

And I don't discount the possibility that Bradish and Kremer will continue to progress as the season wears on.

They get an opportunity to sharpen their skills against some pretty good lineups on a regular basis.

6 minutes ago, owknows said:

That may have been WC's somewhat optimistic point... but I took the post at it's title premise.

That Kremer and Bradish will be starting playoff games... which on it's face will likely turn out to be true.

Well he talked about how well they pitched Vs Texas this weekend. 

I think it’s pretty obvious he’s saying they can pitch in the playoffs and that we should feel confident in them.

Combine that with his overall thoughts on these 2 and I think it’s pretty obvious what he is saying.

12 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah and lots of TOR types also crap the bed in the playoffs .. i have seen plenty of middle starters do fantastic in playoffs and plenty of TORs flame out. 
Just because you go get some TOR guarantees absolutely nothing. 

If TOR starters were all that important, the Hudson/Mulder/Zito A’s would have won multiple World Series and the Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz Braves would have a ring on every finger.   Instead, they have one WS title between those two teams.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If TOR starters were all that important, the Hudson/Mulder/Zito A’s would have won multiple World Series and the Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz Braves would have a ring on every finger.   Instead, they have one WS title between those two teams.  

Clayton Kershaw of great TOR types may have been the prime example but a number of others.  Baseball is so streaky and so contingent on game variables.. it is why the 69 Mets could win over the best team in baseball.. The best team doesn’t routinely win in the playoffs or Series, the hottest team in the playoffs usually wins. 

Kershaw rests alone in the deep trenches of postseason stinkiness. If we look strictly at postseason ERA compared to regular season, Kershaw is almost two runs above. That figure is the worst among pitchers with at least 50 innings in the postseason. The only other pitchers I could find who pitched a minimum of 50 innings in the postseason and had an ERA at least one run higher than their career ERA, are Bret Saberhagen, Greinke, and Vida Blue. Kershaw’s 158 innings are double any of those pitchers in the postseason.

https://baseballegg.com/2019/10/12/is-kershaw-the-worst-great-pitcher-in-postseason-history/

29 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'd say "possible", not likely. Most projection models don't even have us making the playoffs >50%, let alone winning a WC series. I'd need at least 4 to 1 odds to take a bet that both pitch in the postseason this year. 

It will exceed my expectations even baking in the banked wins of the first two months if in the final five games Hyde gets the luxury of tweaking the pitching however he wants.

It is a fun baseball barstool conversation.    The Orioles best pitchers are probably working FRI-SAT-SUN to gain access to the TUE-WED-THU opening round.     Even if we are safely in the top six, we might be close with TEX or NYY or TOR for 4th vs. 5th, and how much fuel do you burn trying to get that first weekend in your ballpark?

Edited by Just Regular

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

He's been our best starter imo.

Wells 2.1 HR9 and 5.04 FIP concern me. The rest of his numbers look good but until he can lower his HR 9, that limits how effective he is.

Well's has given up 5 HR's and 8 ER in his last 10 innings.

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd say "possible", not likely. Most projection models don't even have us making the playoffs >50%, let alone winning a WC series. I'd need at least 4 to 1 odds to take a bet that both pitch in the postseason this year. 

Most projection models didn't have us playing .643 ball with the second best record in the Majors either.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Same…but there is being optimistic and being realistic. They aren’t the same.

Well realistically we are going to find out how well these guys do in the playoffs. 

it’s not written in stone, but that’s where the trend is headed.