Wednesday, May 31: Homestand and the month of May end with rubber match vs Guardians

SteveA

26 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We can continue to give reasons/rationale to never improve the team. Meanwhile, time will continue to pass and Adley’s contract will continue to run.

**whispers**

The point is that this team is ahead of schedule to the point that it's not even clear what is needed to get them over the hump.

Seeing some suggestion that what’s happening today is related to Hyde and overuse of the bullpen. I don’t agree with that. 

Which of these guys has been overused? Maybe Baumann, but most of these guys we’ve seen today have had pretty reasonable workloads for their roles. 

I would argue that the rest of the bullpen is being overused because of these guys. There are only four guys in the pen that Hyde can count on to get outs, and that’s if you include Coulombe and Baker (sometimes iffy). Those guys are being worked like rented mules, no doubt about it. They’re pitching tons of high-effort, high-leverage innings, and they’re wearing down. 

But the biggest reason for that is because we’re playing a load of close games and none of these jokers (Akin, Voth, Perez, Givens, and even Baumann) can be relied upon to protect a narrow lead at present. Akin and Perez have been hugely disappointing, and only the addition of Coulombe has managed to mitigate the damage of their regression. Voth has been painfully hit-or-miss. And the best thing you can say about Givens is “at least he’s not Tate.”

At some point, it’s not Hyde’s fault that half of the bullpen frequently just can’t get guys out. I keep reading posts that say things like “well, if X pitcher can’t protect a 5-run lead over 3 innings, then he shouldn’t be in MLB.” But they can’t! Frequently can’t. The utter collapse of the bottom half of the bullpen continues to be probably the single biggest issue with the team as currently constituted. Fortunately, at least in theory, it should also be the easiest part to fix.

Just now, Alasdaire said:

The point is that this team is ahead of schedule to the point that it's not even clear what is needed to get them over the hump.

Are they tho?

This is year 5 under Elias and right now they look to be competing for a WC spot.

Is that ahead of schedule?

This team has a great record in a extremely tough division.....but I have been struggling with "Imposters syndrome"  I have a deep feeling we are not as good as our record.  That somehow we have been playing way above our heads.  I fear the wheels might come off or the other shoe will drop.   

Still our record is solid and we have beaten good teams.  I should feel happy but I guess I am a "Glass is half empty" kind of guy.  

I think it comes from 40 years of horrible Oriole teams with five or six really decent clubs in that time.  I get so damn stressed in some of these games.  

I want to apoligize for calling Givens fat.  He doesnt deserve that.  I know better and I am sorry to have spouted off.  

• Upvote 1