Has Gunnar's struggles slowed the promotion of other O's prospects?

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Eight full or partial seasons, 13.3 rWAR, 11.8 fWAR.

I'd say league average is fair, I would not say better than average.

That was years ago. Last night he was batting lead off and making elite level turns on double plays. He’s just steady eddy for us. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you miss the part where I said "I'd say"?

I think WAR is the superior metric since I value volume of play.

There is a reason everyone here (except you when it suits your argument) uses WAR.

Hard to win a title with replacement level players. You play against the MLB, not AAA teams. 

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not just this thread though.  (And he isn’t the only one)

There are plenty of people I see here or Twitter or whatever that completely question all these younger kids yet they are the same people who can’t wait to jump for joy because we have the #1 farm system.

Lol Twitter.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr-splash said:

Hard to win a title with replacement level players. You play against the MLB, not AAA teams. 

This makes little sense even for you.

It's a metric.

I'm going to adjust my evaluation of two players if one is a platoon player who plays a third the games of the other.  There is value in staying healthy.  There is value in games played. 

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How can you speak in absolutes?  I mean, we weren’t going to see Gunnar last year. I guess you’re right everyday until Holliday gets called up. 

Holliday is just a different cat. He’s not Stowers or Cowser. He’s more Gunnar. 

The fun with Holliday is maybe he's more than Gunnar!     Whenever it happens it should be fun to watch the Adley-Gunnar-Holliday-Cowser-Kjerstad stack try and beat the world's best right handed pitchers.     

It is just gravy if that happens this September or October, or not until after Aaron Hicks, Ryan O'Hearn, Jay Gibbons and Joe Orsulak have given all they have to give.     

Credit where it is due - Hicks and O'Hearn helped us beat Logan Webb last night.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

WTH?

If he is promoted to the majors he's going to be on the 40 man and won't be eligible for the Rule V draft.

There is 0 chance he gets put on the 40, promoted, and then they attempt to remove him from the 40.

You have to basically pull a Josh Hamilton to go 1-1 and be taken in the Rule V.

I don't know where you are coming from with this.   I am saying that Holliday is not going to on the 40 man this season.    

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Twitter was dumpster fire back on October 26th.

It’s always been a dumpster fire. Whoever owns it has little to do with the fact that it’s a bunch of people trying to have arguments with small character limits.  But that’s fine for a society that’s got the attention span of a gnat and everyone’s just trying to pwn someone else. 

That’s all Twitter is for. The fact that people think it’s a significant medium for the exchange of ideas and discourse should be scary to everyone. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s always been a dumpster fire. Whoever owns it has little to do with the fact that it’s a bunch of people trying to have arguments with small character limits.  But that’s fine for a society that’s got the attention span of a gnat and everyone’s just trying to pwn someone else. 

That’s all Twitter is for. The fact that people think it’s a significant medium for the exchange of ideas and discourse should be scary to everyone. 

I agree.  That was why I cited the date that I did.

• Upvote 1

The second post in this thread should’ve been “Colton Cowser shouldn’t even be mentioned when talking about Gunnar.”  What does Gunnar have to do with Cowser?  Now Gunnar and Holliday… that’s when there can be a discussion. 

The thing with Holliday is that we don’t really need him until the deadline to add players to the roster for postseason eligibility. 

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't know where you are coming from with this.   I am saying that Holliday is not going to on the 40 man this season.    

Oh the ever present looming 40 man roster crunch. Yeah, that’s not going to slow down Holliday. See… come September if a pitcher without options for the following year.. can be just jettisoned off the roster. Why wait till November when you can do it September 1?  

Above is the technical reason, but the actual reason is that Logan Gilaspie or Nick Vespi won’t prevent us from calling up Jackson Holliday. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Oh the ever present looming 40 man roster crunch. Yeah, that’s not going to slow down Holliday. See… come September if a pitcher without options for the following year.. can be just jettisoned off the roster. Why wait till November when you can do it September 1?  

Above is the technical reason, but the actual reason is that Logan Gilaspie or Nick Vespi won’t prevent us from calling up Jackson Holliday. 

I don't think that is the way Elias develops prospects.   He like to see them play well at a level for  at least 200 PAs.   There is a reason for that.   Over that time the league will adjust to him and the player will have to adjust back.   200 PAs gives time for this to happen several times.   If he is still doing well at 200 PAs he is promoted.

Holliday has 134 PA at A+ ball.  He probably does not reach 200 PAs until late June.  If he is doing well at that time he will be promoted.   Then he has to do well for 200 PAs at AA.  That takes him until late August.    And then the season runs out at AAA before he can get to  promoted to the majors.  And that does not account for any injuries or fatigue for the 19 year old.   He has never play 150 games before.

While this is JMO.   Its is what I have been seeing Elias do.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There is zero chance Holliday will be in the majors this year.  Zero.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The second post in this thread should’ve been “Colton Cowser shouldn’t even be mentioned when talking about Gunnar.”  What does Gunnar have to do with Cowser?  Now Gunnar and Holliday… that’s when there can be a discussion. 

The thing with Holliday is that we don’t really need him until the deadline to add players to the roster for postseason eligibility. 

Guys, Holliday is not ready for MLB. Just stop it. Give the kid a chance already and let him develop in the minors. Hes 19. I'm very excited about Holliday, but the time is not 2023.