Moves in the near term

wildcard

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

People continue to underestimate the patience Elias and Hyde have in these guys and how much they hate to give up on guys.   Most of us would have dumped Voth and Perez long ago, and benched Mateo weeks ago.   They simply don’t operate that way.   I can only conclude that the believe in the talent and in the coaching staffs ability to get these guys back on track.  It also seems obvious that they prefer players like O’Hearn and Lester in reserve roles than guys like Ortiz, Westburg, and Cowser.  This is what I expect in the near term.  Nothing.

Henderson will start getting the bulk of the SS starts.   Urías will get the bulk of 3B.   O’Hearn will start getting more 1B starts.     Mateo and Mountcastle lose most of there time against RHP for now.  Lester will get the occasional 3B/1B/DH start and PH.   Hicks continues to be the everyday CF.

I'll also add that Elias actually wants the backlog pressure.  I'm personally ready for Cowser over Lester, but you're probably right on his level of patience surpassing mine.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

People continue to underestimate the patience Elias and Hyde have in these guys and how much they hate to give up on guys.   Most of us would have dumped Voth and Perez long ago, and benched Mateo weeks ago.   They simply don’t operate that way.   I can only conclude that the believe in the talent and in the coaching staffs ability to get these guys back on track.  It also seems obvious that they prefer players like O’Hearn and Lester in reserve roles than guys like Ortiz, Westburg, and Cowser.  This is what I expect in the near term.  Nothing.

Henderson will start getting the bulk of the SS starts.   Urías will get the bulk of 3B.   O’Hearn will start getting more 1B starts.     Mateo and Mountcastle lose most of there time against RHP for now.  Lester will get the occasional 3B/1B/DH start and PH.   Hicks continues to be the everyday CF.

That 2nd paragraph is not nothing.   That is  a significant change from what they O's did the first two months of the season.

If O'Hearn gets more playing time at 1B who gets the DH time?   Adley continues to get his DH time.  But that is only about 20%.    Santander?  If he is at DH he is not in RF.   The changes you describe opens room either at  DH or RF I think.    Room for Cowser?

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That 2nd paragraph is not nothing.   That is  a significant change from what they O's did the first two months of the season.

If O'Hearn gets more playing time at 1B who gets the DH time?   Adley continues to get his DH time.  But that is only about 20%.    Santander?  If he is at DH he is not in RF.   The changes you describe opens room either at  DH or RF I think.    Room for Cowser?

I would like to see Cowser up but I doubt it.   DH will just be a rotating spot for everyone else just like it has been.   

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This is the spot that we can get improvement from. When Santander is not DHing, he will probably be in RF. That means more McCann, Lester, etc... at DH. Bring Cowser up (If healthy), put him in RF 5 days a week and let Santander DH

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Absolutely true.  They are not comparable as hitters.  But of course it won’t be surprising if Cowser doesn’t hit well immediately.  And it wouldn’t be that unusual if he never hit that well in the majors.  

This is the part people miss most often. Even Cal struggled upon promotion. You just don't know what a prospect will do until they are called up. 

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I've been busy today, but based on perusing the board it seems no roster moves were announced. I"m not surprised the team would hold off until tomorrow, but was anything at least hinted at today (Westburg or Cowser) by Elias or Hyde?

Roch's report on Cowser:

“I would not say he’s sort of 100 percent of himself in terms of return to play and just checking all the rehab medical boxes that we want,” Elias said, “but it’s going well, nothing to worry about there.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-odds-and-ends

How expensive would 1 1/2 years of Goldschmidt be in a trade? I know we want to trade for pitching, but that may be the absolute peak sellers market, where getting an aging bat is more cost effective. Ortiz/Stowers/Mountcastle? Probably too cheap but something like that.

CF-Mullins 

C-Rutschman

1B-Goldschmidt

RF-Santander

3B-Henderson

LF-Hays

DH- O'Hearn/Urias 

2B- Frazier/Urias

SS- Mateo

Edited by G54377

On 6/13/2023 at 5:04 AM, wildcard said:

Roch's report on Cowser:

“I would not say he’s sort of 100 percent of himself in terms of return to play and just checking all the rehab medical boxes that we want,” Elias said, “but it’s going well, nothing to worry about there.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-odds-and-ends

What a load of BS. The posturing / coyness of Elias is absolutely exhausting.  He's like the Dave Roberts of GMs.