Tyler Wells 2023

Mooreisbetter27

On 9/2/2023 at 10:50 PM, Frobby said:

He’s been talking with Flaherty apparently.  

He being Hyde? That's a Hyde quote. That language struck me as well. Weird stuff. Appears the team has marching orders on how to communicate injuries. Similar to Mountcastle "under the weather." I wonder if we will hear that more. 

I'm not sure what the plan is with Wells going into next year. We saw him be a weapon out of the pen as a rookie and looked really impressive down the stretch in 2021. He's gotten the job done as a starter for the most part. But yeah he should be a #6 or #7 option on Opening Day for a World Series contender. The 2.0 HR/9 is too scary to ignore. He's shown some ability to keep a low H/9 but I'm not trusting an OD rotation spot to a guy relying on a .206 BABIP. 

I can see logic in putting him back in the pen or starting him in the AAA rotation and keeping his innings low. It would be a little weird having him in the minors when he's going to be 30 years old next year. But he's still controllable for a few more years. 

Hopefully: Bradish, Kremer, Means, Rodriguez, FA Addition w/ Wells, Irvin, McDermott next up. I'm not sure how management will handle DL Hall going forward. There's other lower prospects in the upper minors or rehabbing their way back there as well but I won't list them off. 

20 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I'm not sure what the plan is with Wells going into next year. We saw him be a weapon out of the pen as a rookie and looked really impressive down the stretch in 2021. He's gotten the job done as a starter for the most part. But yeah he should be a #6 or #7 option on Opening Day for a World Series contender. The 2.0 HR/9 is too scary to ignore. He's shown some ability to keep a low H/9 but I'm not trusting an OD rotation spot to a guy relying on a .206 BABIP. 

I can see logic in putting him back in the pen or starting him in the AAA rotation and keeping his innings low. It would be a little weird having him in the minors when he's going to be 30 years old next year. But he's still controllable for a few more years. 

Hopefully: Bradish, Kremer, Means, Rodriguez, FA Addition w/ Wells, Irvin, McDermott next up. I'm not sure how management will handle DL Hall going forward. There's other lower prospects in the upper minors or rehabbing their way back there as well but I won't list them off. 

Bradish and Grod have reasonable possibility for 2024 of being a good 1-2 top,  Means is the wildcard.. his past performance could land him right there at top or he could be a lesser starter, Kremer can be a reasonable 3-5 next season.  

i agree with the depth possibilities you list and any of them could step up and be a reliable 4-5 next year.. or a signing obviously. 

DL Hall is yet another uncertainty.. i think he is destined to be a high leverage BP guy but could still be in mix next spring 

Wells could also advance enough to be starter but feel too he may be a BP piecein 2024

McDermott with Povich as a wild card are still a step away I believe 

Edited by tntoriole

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

Wells got tagged for 2 ER in Norfolk’s loss today. His ERA down there is now 6.75. Something tells me they’re going to shut him down soon. I don’t expect him to throw for the O’s again this year. 

He didn’t look very good out there. Almost looked lost on the 1st two batters. The 2nd batter he walked  but ball 4 almost hit the batter low. The pitch was so off the catcher couldn’t even get a glove on it and it skidded all the way back to the wall. 

The triple was pretty hard hit. Reminiscent of some of the hard hit balls he gave up in Baltimore. Cowser semi misplayed it. Probably should have caught it, but didn’t. Tough read though because it was hit at him but sliced off toward right center so it looked like he misjudged it. Those ones right at you are always tough. 

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was looking at the game logs and it appears Wells, Baker, Baumann and other well known names have all gone missing during the month of August. They didn't play the month of August after being optioned.

Baumann has been pitching and he's been effective at Norfolk. I think there's a chance we see him back soon with Wells struggling.

https://www.milb.com/player/mike-baumann-657508?stats=gamelogs-r-pitching-mlb&year=2023

8 hours ago, baltfan said:

He is cooked for this year. Sad….

I'm not sure this is sad.  If he can't come back to the MLB then this was expected with all the pitchers we have hitting career highs in IP.  There's a reason we've been using a 6 man rotation.  Baumann and Wells were huge for us this year.  We'll see what happens, but these guys are a big part of our pitching staff past this year.