Postion players aren't the problem

Baltimorecuse

So I disagree pretty strongly with this. I understand the stat you used, but in my opinion you have to look at this from the position of what the team is and the resources it has. For me, the most resources it has to improve is offensively, where there are guys in Triple A that can legitimately come up and take at bats away from guys who are the lessers of our lineup. So I feel pretty strongly that our offense needs to improve for us to reach our potential. And offensive improvement will be “easier” to attain than will the pitching improvement, simply by the ease of the transactions.

• Upvote 3

The problem is that is we don't have the means internally to improve our pitching. In a perfect world they'd trade the older players for pitching and replace them with the Westburg's and Cowser's who are knocking on the door without missing a beat offensively . If Elias was truely was committed to the rebuild I feel like that's how he would approach it, but the fact that he didn't try sell high on players like Santander, Mountcastle and Mateo especially makes me doubt that's how it will play out. I understand that it becomes more of balancing act once you start to contend, but I'd still like to see him be a bit more aggressive in trying to solve the bigger problems. And I'm fine with them trading prospects, but if they do I want young controllable pitchers in return. I don't want downward trending arms like Lynn, Giolito, Bieber, etc. who have no long term future on this team. If that's who we're targeting then I'd push hard to trade some of the vets / lower level prospects instead. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The problem with that stat is that the first month really helps it. They were 11th in May and 22nd so far in June.

There is also the idea that many of the regulars have a (recent) history of not hitting well and don’t figure to get better.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but some of the "regulars" should have been traded for pitching help in the offseason. 

• Upvote 1

I kind of like the macro here, even though we are still aren't 100% trying with personnel to gain some longer term payroll efficiency and/or maximize asset trade value.

Unless the Bats for Arms trades are shock style, the Peak Adley Teams have a good chance to climb high on Runs Scored in all of MLB.       Certainly if we are fortunate enough to make October and stay more than 2-3 days, the best Orioles Bats solving the world's best pitchers will probably have to factor in regardless whether Tyler Wells or Marcus Stroman or Grayson Rodriguez is trying to get to the fifth inning.

Nothing is really the problem.  All though this board things the sky is falling we still have the 3rd  best record in baseball and are on pace to win 100 games.  There are still some areas that we can improve on though.  Another starter would be one, a solid lefty out of pen and another bat in the middle of the order.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

No brainer, we're 8th in all baseball in runs scored.  That is the offensive stat that matters. Sure we can always find more upside but so could the 22 teams below us.  

Our pitching has to improve.  

I think both need to improve.  The offense has been solid this season but has been stalling a bit lately.  The pitching has had ups and downs, but numbers don’t lie and they’re below average overall.  So, I’d like to see improvements in both areas.  

I disagree. Looking on the surface your statement may be correct, but when you look at the circumstances of the team and their available resources you have to improve where you can. 

They have a plenty of options for middle infield and options for the OF. Scoring more than your opponent is the goal regardless of how they get there.

14 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Nothing is really the problem.  All though this board things the sky is falling we still have the 3rd  best record in baseball and are on pace to win 100 games.  There are still some areas that we can improve on though.  Another starter would be one, a solid lefty out of pen and another bat in the middle of the order.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr-splash said:

I would like a true middle of the order high OBP, power bat. But that's expensive and rare to find. That said, we are 8th in runs scored playing in an extreme pitchers park. The hitters are getting it done, period. 

Even if you look at just this year, which is a stupid thing to do, the Park Factor for OPACY is 97.  That is not "extreme".  Last season it was 99.

This information is easily available if you want to provide actual data and not make things up.

• Upvote 2

The offense is sputtering. A hot April is propping up the numbers. We have ZERO hitters that are greatly feared by other teams. We need one big bag and one quality starting pitcher. Remember, come the playoff run, we won't be facing these same teams. We will be facing them, improved, as they will have traded for more pieces. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if you look at just this year, which is a stupid thing to do, the Park Factor for OPACY is 97.  That is not "extreme".  Last season it was 99.

This information is easily available if you want to provide actual data and not make things up.

I'm looking at the wall and concluding that it's the hardest wall in the league to clear.