Your current top 5

Skywalker76

Interesting stuff guys. Always fun to read the opinions of those who put time and effort into studying up on this stuff.

I agree, the minor league board has me pretty pumped to see what it can produce.

Where's Mahoney fit in here? I know we just drafted him but I was impressed by what I read about him on draft day....seems like a big first baseman with good power potential.

How's he doing this year?

With Bascom and hopefully Arrieta and Wieters, this could be a really good minor league system, the best we've seen in years.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mahoney has had his struggles at Aberdeen, like most power hitters seem to. Off the top of my head and with very little forethought, he may crack the top 25, but not by much.

Also off the top of my head Bascom might sneak into the top 10, or may just be outside of it. He and a few others are probably in the running for some of the final spots.

I'd like to see Angle in Frederick to start the year because of his age. Henson has time to move through more slowly, but we need to find out if Angle can hit on a higher level more quickly.

Kolodny should go to Delmarva for the full season. I'd like to see him and Binnick both in Delmarva to see if they can play at that level.

I'm real curious what Kolodny could do in Delamrva too. The only thing is where does Rowell play next year? They both play 3B and I'm not ready to graduate Rowell from Delmarva. It might be crowded at the hot corner as I'd like to see if Snyder can play 3B in Frederick next season, and I hope they will forget about Brandon playing behind the dish. First base should be manned too with Vinyard at Frederick and Mahoney, Martinez and Chmiel at Delmarva. You have to figure Jed Stephen (SS/3B), Tyrone Hambly and Matt Tucker in there somewhere as well. It's a nice problem to have. Maybe send Rowell back to Delmarva and move him up to Frederick in July and have Kolodny stay in EST to work on his fielding. Maybe start Kolodny to Aberdeen.

I agree on Henson, Angle and Binick.

Kolodny would be really young to make a full season squad. It's not to say he can't or won't, but he'd probably need to have an incredible spring to bypass both Bluefield and Aberdeen, which might be the more realistic expectation for next year. Remember, the NY-Penn League is usually filled with college players who would still be older than him.

This thread has raised a question about Rowell. Even though he has not put together a huge season hasn't he done enough to start in Fredrick next season?

Billy Rowell 3B 62 235 33 64 13 2 6 40 99 26 73 3 2 .348 .421 .272 .770

What do you think? He does strike out a lot(73 in 62 games). He'll turn 19 in the off season. Either way. Both he and Kolodny play the same position. There might be a logjam at 3B soon.

True. Bryan Bass was also a 19 yo HS draftee who played his first season at the GCL and a little at Bluefield. The O's did promote him to Delmarva the next season and the rest is history. I wouldn't be surprised if Kolodny made the Delmarva roster next spring, but I'd be more shocked if Rowell didn't start the season at Frederick.

Exactly. Rowell should be in Fredrick next season. He may not move through two levels a season right now, but he shouldn't be held back either. Thus, 3B would be open in Delmarva, giving Kolodny an opening. Stephen may be the more likely starter though.

Exactly. Rowell should be in Fredrick next season. He may not move through two levels a season right now, but he shouldn't be held back either. Thus, 3B would be open in Delmarva, giving Kolodny an opening. Stephen may be the more likely starter though.

Or Matt Tucker.

As Tony has mentioned numerous times, anyone who wants to get excited about a HS 3B tearing up the GCL should go back and look at the numbers Bryan Bass put up there.

John, I'm with you on this. No need to rush the kid, although I am curious what he could do around August with Delmarva. If he has a tremendous spring or not, Aberdeen would be where I'd start him next year. At the least he needs work on his defense.

No need to rush Rowell either. He needs to make more consistent contact and build his confidence. Snyder will hopefully be the 3B in Frederick next season. An entire season at those places for both Snyder and Rowell would not be a set-back.

Archived