Your current top 5

Skywalker76

With just one month to post our final top 10/20 I thought it would be fun to post our current top 5 as I think there have been some changes at the top of our minor league system.

1. Rowell

Still number one mostly due to his ceiling but some of his stats are concerning and I'm a little dissapointed in his season so far.

2. Olsen

Had a rough time to chose between him and Liz for number two. But I chose Olsen because of his recent starts after his demotion to AAA. Sometimes after getting demoted from the majors to AAA a pitcher struggles but Olsen doesn't and shows he's ready when they promote him again. Btw. whenever I think about Olsen I think how lucky we were with Townsend not signing, although I also feel bad for Townsend, too, as he was clearly lowballed back in 2005.

3. Liz

I think by adjusting to AA he finally did show that he can be a pitcher as opposed to just being a thrower. To be quite honest I always thought he would falter once having to face more advanced hitting but I'm glad he did prove me wrong. 2008 in AAA with a possible september callup doesn't sound too bad, does it?

4. Erbe

This kid is so young and he has enough time to go through these growing pains. And it's better he's going through these now than later. But his status did take a hit as I always had him at the #2 spot on my lists.

5. Snyder

Here we go. After another disappointing april I thought he would finally fall out of the top 10 for good but the overall season had me wrong again. Great comeback season and welcome back Mr. Snyder.

Overall I think our minor league system is in much better shape than most people think. What I like is that our minor league stystem isn't about 5-6 players anymore but about 25-30 players who are all talented and have a shot at contributing. Whenever one of the top prospects disappoints there always seems to be one of the lower/newer prospects taking a step forward (Bascom for example).

IF we sign Weiters and Arrieta our farm system could finally become a top 15 again, maybe if some prospects perform in august even a top 12-15.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Rowell. Still #1 despite a disappointing season. We can't forget. He's just 18 and holding his own in a full season league.

2. Olson. Finally, a top prospect who is surpassing expectations. Putting up an impressive season in AAA.

3. Reimold. What can I say? Injuries or not, I believe in this guy.

4. Hoey. Putting up a dominant season. Should be vital bullpen cog next season.

5. Liz. Nice season, but I still think he's a bullpenner in the end.

Wieters is probably right up there at #1 if he signs.

I like that list and pretty much agree with it.

I still believe in Reimold too.

Although, I am starting to believe that Liz may be able to make it to the show as a "starter-er" now, as opposed to being projected as a "bullpenner". :D

1. Rowell. Still #1 despite because of incredible ceiling. Has held his own this year but some concerns have arisen. Hard to say how much his injury has effected him even since coming back (see Ramon).

2. Liz. Developing into a top prospect. Absolutely dominating at AA now after a shaky adjustment period at first. Great potential, if he can cut down on the walks has a top of the rotation ceiling (where have we heard that before!).

3. Reimold. Not much he could do about the injuries, but he's not let that effect his numbers which are excellent. Needed no time whatsoever to adjust to AA, let's hope the same can be said of the Majors. Needs to walk more but simply got his pitches to hit and hit them, hopefully that's all it is. There's a place in the Balitmore outfield ready and waiting with his name all over it.

4. Olson. Hard to say how the International league strikeout leader translates to the majors. Held his own in two starts but not overpowering.....yet.

5. Snyder. Lots of guys could fit into number 5. By a hair's breadth I put Snyder. V solid comeback season and is improving in all facets of his game. Again, v high ceiling but will be interesting to see his position next year. There's no one's stats I look out for before this guy everyday.

5. Snyder. Lots of guys could fit into number 5. By a hair's breadth I put Snyder. V solid comeback season and is improving in all facets of his game. Again, v high ceiling but will be interesting to see his position next year. There's no one's stats I look out for before this guy everyday.

Same first thing I do is always check how Snyder and Rowell did in their games. It would be really great to see these guys at OPACY one day after following their career so closely.

Same first thing I do is always check how Snyder and Rowell did in their games. It would be really great to see these guys at OPACY one day after following their career so closely.

It's funny that you both say that you go to Snyder and Rowell's stats everyday but dont mention Tripp who is outperforming both of them. I know he is a little bit older but I certainly think he is back on the radar screen. I would like to see him in Bowie to start next year.

It's funny that you both say that you go to Snyder and Rowell's stats everyday but dont mention Tripp who is outperforming both of them. I know he is a little bit older but I certainly think he is back on the radar screen. I would like to see him in Bowie to start next year.

After you did put him on your top5 I immediatly took a look at his numbers and I agree that he's someone to take into consideration for the top 10. I think he's still a little under the radar because he barely gets mentioned. He wasn't even mentioned at all by BA in their prospect book.

1. Weiters (assuming he signs)

2. Rowell

3. Olson

4. Reimold

5. Erbe

I still love Erbe's upside and age despite his struggles. Hoey and Liz are a pretty nice honorable mention here.

I agree, Weiters immediately jumps to the top of the list "when" (i'm being optomistic) he signs. Olson is certainly in the top 3, though he has shown everything he can and deserves to be in the bigs.

I think Tripp and Bascom are in a similar spot for me, as they both are a little older but doing pretty well. Bascom just got here, so maybe he gets a little more slack. He has only thrown 43 innings but he is throwing hard and appears healthy.

If you say Tripp where does that leave Bascom? IMO both are kinda just outside the top 5 with a outside chance to jump in, but they need to do it against higher competition I think.

I pretty much agree w/ most of the top 5 picks up here but I still feel as though Finan doesnt get enough recognition. He is definitely a dependable player.

My top 5, not necessarily in this order:

Liz

Finan

Olson

Hoey

Tripp

(Rowell has been a bit disappointing)

Finan? Really?

It's gotta go:

1) Rowell - Upside is unbelievable. He's playing way up right now and will catch up with time.

2) Olsen - He showed guts in his two pro starts and has been untouchable since returning to Norfolk

3) Liz - This guy has been silly this year. He's a little older then you'd like, but he's progressed steadily. Guthrie is a 28-year-old rookie. Liz can do it at 24.

4) Snyder - At one time he looked like an absolute bust, but this year he's gotten back on track after the injury. Maybe the move from out behind the plate did the trick.

5) Erbe - I'm going to stand by him until he quits the game. His stuff is sick, but his fastball is too straight by reports I've read. He's young enough to still make a major impact at some point. Maybe moe his release point a bit and let him focus on the fastball with another pitch and he could turn out to be the dominant closer we are looking for. I'm not going to dismiss a 20-year-old that can put it in the upper 90's consistently.

In alphabetical order by last name, the next 15 would consist of Ryan Adams, Matt Angle, Tim Bascom, Pedro Beato, Brad Bergesen, Kraig Binnick, Wally Crancer, Blake Davis, Tyler Henson, David Hernandez, James Hoey, Tyler Kolodny, Nolan Reimold, Chorye Spoone, Brandon Tripp and Chris Vinyard

Archived