Wednesday, June 28: Orioles vs Reds, series deciding game

SteveA

Just now, seak05 said:

I'd prefer to talk about the game too..but some of the comments on here tonight remind me of why Pride nights, and talking about this stuff is necessary, and in social spaces 

So if you come into the game thread, and instead of talking about the game. you start talking about how much having to acknowledge Gay people in a social space one game a year makes you "hate em". Then that derails the game thread, but I don't think it should be ignored or treated as acceptable. 

Doing things like this that are highly visible, help to show kids growing up that who they are is ok. LGTBQ youth are 4x as likely to attempt suicide vs straight teenagers (and the teenage suicide rate as a whole is to high). For one game a year, talking about stuff like this to help remove social stigma, and maybe save a few lives...just put the game on mute if it bugs you that much

I don’t disagree with your overall premise but no one is changing anyone’s mind on here. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I totally agree. My first game at Candem Yards, they passed out ballots to all the fans. And it was fun to see who was in the ballot to vote for and talk about it with fans in the stands.

I remember at Memorial Stadium they would give you as many ballots as you wanted.

5 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

I wish they would just do voting at the park like the old days. Way too easy for non fans and bots to skew the numbers. 

I feel like the voting has actually gotten more accurate over the years as fans have come to understand stats better, and to be more exposed to players on other teams. Anecdotal but when I was growing up it felt like there were usually a few clearly undeserving winners, and I don't see that as much anymore.

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I'd prefer to talk about the game too..but some of the comments on here tonight remind me of why Pride nights, and talking about this stuff is necessary, and in social spaces 

So if you come into the game thread, and instead of talking about the game. you start talking about how much having to acknowledge Gay people in a social space one game a year makes you "hate em". Then that derails the game thread, but I don't think it should be ignored or treated as acceptable. 

Doing things like this that are highly visible, help to show kids growing up that who they are is ok. LGTBQ youth are 4x as likely to attempt suicide vs straight teenagers (and the teenage suicide rate as a whole is to high). For one game a year, talking about stuff like this to help remove social stigma, and maybe save a few lives...just put the game on mute if it bugs you that much

Mute is a very nice feature.