Coby Mayo is tearing it up in Bowie again tonight..

Roy Firestone

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Joun Means was at the game today.. 

Yeah I forgot Means. It feels like the O's starting pitching equation is already complicated and if you add a healthy Means, that's seven guys vying for 5 spots even without a trade.

1 minute ago, bluedog said:

Yeah I forgot Means. It feels like the O's starting pitching equation is already complicated and if you add a healthy Means, that's seven guys vying for 5 spots even without a trade.

We have two good starters.  There's nothing complicated about it.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Ripken said:

We have two good starters.  There's nothing complicated about it.

We may agree on that, but tell it to Elias.

Since he's been with the O's, when has he ever just sat down a veteran player?

Unless he can move 1 / 2 of our starters in any deal to clear a rotation spot, I am not expecting him to give up on Means, Kremer, GRod, Irvin or Gibson unless he can trade for a controllable pitcher who is significantly better than what we have now. I just don't see him trading anything of major value for a rental and I don't see him punting on the money he's paid Gibson even though that's the first pitcher I'd move on from if I were him.

1 minute ago, bluedog said:

We may agree on that, but tell it to Elias.

Since he's been with the O's, when has he ever just sat down a veteran player?

Unless he can move 1 / 2 of our starters in any deal to clear a rotation spot, I am not expecting him to give up on Means, Kremer, GRod, Irvin or Gibson unless he can trade for a controllable pitcher who is significantly better than what we have now. I just don't see him trading anything of major value for a rental and I don't see him punting on the money he's paid Gibson even though that's the first pitcher I'd move on from if I were him.

Davis.

Odor pretty much got sat down last year when Gunnar came up.

Edited by Can_of_corn

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis.

Odor pretty much got sat down last year when Gunnar came up.

Odor started 18 games and played in 20 of the 34 games after Gunnar debuted. That's not being "sat down" by any reasonable definition.

And I wouldn't use Davis as a predictor for how any front office would behave. He's the outlier of outliers in more ways than one.

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Odor started 18 games and played in 20 of the 34 games after Gunnar debuted. That's not being "sat down" by any reasonable definition.

And I wouldn't use Davis as a predictor for how any front office would behave. He's the outlier of outliers in more ways than one.

So you are going to just ignore my example because you want to.

OK.

I'd consider starting 18 out of 34 significant, especially since some of that was to game Gunnar's service clock so he wouldn't lose RoY eligibility.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you are going to just ignore my example because you want to.

OK.

I'd consider starting 18 out of 34 significant, especially since some of that was to game Gunnar's service clock so he wouldn't lose RoY eligibility.

"Sat down" as I intended to use it in my post meant the player sits on the bench and doesn't play meaningful innings. By that definition, Odor wasn't sat down.

In order to get Elias to sit Davis down, Davis had to put up over 1000 ABs at sub .200 average and sub .600 OPS at a premium offensive position. I couldn't have provided a better example of how resistant Elias is to sitting veterans if I'd tried. Thanks for that.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

And it bothers you....why?

To be honest, it bothers me a little.  It’s not a big deal when one thread about a AA player shows up in the Orioles Talk forum.   But if everybody started doing this, we’d soon have a very disorganized board.   Tony chose to create separate boards for Orioles, Minor Leagues, MLB, etc., and while he didn’t have to organize it that way, he did, and there were good reasons for it.  So, while I don’t think it’s a big deal at all, it would be my preference to stick to the structure Tony set up.  

Also, there’s a lot of good discussion of Mayo, including a lot of video, in his thread on the Minor Lesgue forum, that you might enjoy seeing, if you haven’t seen it.

45 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

It bothers me because it takes no more effort to put topics where they belong than it does to just spam Orioles Talk.

To me it shows a lack of respect for what Tony has built here.

That is also a board moderator you are questioning.

Edited by Can_of_corn

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It bothers me because it takes no more effort to put topics where they belong than it does to just spam Orioles Talk.

To me it shows a lack of respect for what Tony has built here.

That is also a board moderator you are questioning.

Repeat and unneeded threads are basically put on this board daily.

People bump threads that are several years old relatively routinely.

The clutter and disorganization this causes on here is very obvious at times. 

I say this only to say that if you feel Roy is being disrespectful here, I question why you don’t say that to others when it happens all the time around here?

Btw, I agree this isn’t a needed thread for many of the reasons you and others have stated, just wondering why you felt the need to say this now and not in the myriad of other threads this could have been said about.

16 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Boy, if only there was a “Minor League” forum to use to discuss “minor league” players, especially one that already has a thread dedicated to said player…

Ah well…

There's nothing Minor League about any thread started by Roy Firestone!  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Repeat and unneeded threads are basically put on this board daily.

People bump threads that are several years old relatively routinely.

The clutter and disorganization this causes on here is very obvious at times. 

I say this only to say that if you feel Roy is being disrespectful here, I question why you don’t say that to others when it happens all the time around here?

Btw, I agree this isn’t a needed thread for many of the reasons you and others have stated, just wondering why you felt the need to say this now and not in the myriad of other threads this could have been said about.

Because Roy said

If anyone else inquired I'd be glad to tell them.