Seattle really upset about Felix being called King Felix? Really??

Sports Guy

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Actually our try-hard announcer Kevin Brown started it, I believe. 

Is that where that's from? I'm trying to forget Brown embarrassingly homerishly going "Ohtani who?" 

It does sound like something he would say though. I do think this guy sounds like a bit of douche saying that to Bautista, like he controls what the Orioles "social media" says about him. But yeah, that's like Holliday coming up and then start calling him "The Kid."

Some nicknames are known to specific players and should not be reused.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is that where that's from? I'm trying to forget Brown embarrassingly homerishly going "Ohtani who?" 

It does sound like something he would say though. I do think this guy sounds like a bit of douche saying that to Bautista, like he controls what the Orioles "social media" says about him. But yeah, that's like Holliday coming up and then start calling him "The Kid."

He said it after a save against the Mariners. Something like “move over, there’s a new King Felix!”

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Eh, that does sound like Brown. Brown has that young, homerish fan style that he's developed when he gets a little too over the top.

The best part was when he tried to go out into the splash zone as a "man of the people" and looked so uncomfortable and nobody was really talking to him.

He then came back and said something like "It's a lot of fun out there...... I think they took my wallet though!" 

A bit cringeworthy. Overall Brown can be solid but as he's gotten more comfortable in his role, he's starting to get a little too "in your face" homerish for me with some of these comments. I'm sure that goes over well with some and announcers are certainly an individual taste, but I guess watching the 1970 World Series broadcast and seeing and hearing Chuck Thompson made me yearn for the days of having a seasoned professional call the game and not try and be clever all the time.

Maybe I'm just getting old! lol

No, I agree. I think for the most part he’s okay but trying so hard to be clever is annoying. That voice of his that’s always tinged with a tone of irony/cleverness is grating.

I don’t think it’s all bad with him and I’m aware we could have been stuck with a broadcaster like Bob Carpenter who is as bland as his name implies. So I’ll take Kevin and his cleverness and be thankful we’re still not listening to Michael Reghi. 

• Upvote 1

I'm OK  with him other than the "not going to see that ball again" homer call-which we promptly do with the fan showing off the catch or the ball being thrown back on the field.  It's not like the 1920's when they only used 7 balls a game.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

To be fair, he fired back at them and it was funny. From what little I have had from there, there may not be a more overrated restaurant in the area than Jimmys.

I’m from York. Heard a lot about this Jimmy’s place. Went there. Very mediocre and had a below average waiter. Not worth the trip.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The guy referred to the O's "social media team", not the broadcast team. Is there something else we missed? Definitely an overreaction to Brown if he is just talking about one comment in the context of the Mariners series. 

https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/news/baltimore-orioles-social-media-team-offends-seattle-mariners-fans-with-regard-to-tweet-about-felix-bautista

F0I9mqPWYAEOqJj?format=jpg&name=small

I wouldn't have done it, but I also wouldn't have harassed him during the All Star game celebration.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Why not? "The Kid" wasn't original to Ken Griffey Jr., it was Ted Williams's nickname long before.

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

Why not? "The Kid" wasn't original to Ken Griffey Jr., it was Ted Williams's nickname long before.

Ted Williams retired in 1960.  Griffey's rookie year was 1989.

Felix Hernandez's last season was 2019.

Not quite the same thing.

Also I don't think the Seattle social media was as douchey about it.