2023 16th Round Pick (#481): Cole Urman - C - (Jr) Cal State Fullerton (CA)

Just now, 86this said:

After looking at the school's page, yeah, he's a Jr.  MLB lists him as a Sr which is what I was going on.  Damn you MLB!

Ahhh I think they might have counted the 2020 season as a year played, but everyone got a free year of eligibility when the season was cancelled. 

Also, thanks for all the work you’re doing in updating the selections!!!

Just now, waroriole said:

Ahhh I think they might have counted the 2020 season as a year played, but everyone got a free year of eligibility when the season was cancelled. 

Also, thanks for all the work you’re doing in updating the selections!!!

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Man, he is so easy and fluid behind the plate and yet so awkward and uncomfortable looking batting. There is no balance and at time looks to be falling back trying to lift the ball and other times out on his front foot just trying to make contact. He needs to start from the ground up on that swing but luckily, the Os are pretty decent at that. It will be interesting to watch his progress at the plate over the coming years. 

10 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Man, he is so easy and fluid behind the plate and yet so awkward and uncomfortable looking batting. There is no balance and at time looks to be falling back trying to lift the ball and other times out on his front foot just trying to make contact. He needs to start from the ground up on that swing but luckily, the Os are pretty decent at that. It will be interesting to watch his progress at the plate over the coming years. 

They’ve had some success turning no offense/ defense catchers into at least a threat with the bat with Handley and Ardoin.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

They’ve had some success turning no offense/ defense catchers into at least a threat with the bat with Handley and Ardoin.

Catchers just take so long to develop. I also wonder if the amount of time they have to catch and develop in the minors already wears them down years beyond their actual age when they come up?  

Has the catcher become less important with the new and possibly upcoming rule changes. Not a lot of teams run. Especially the vet/older contender teams. They play more station to station baseball. Even the O’s slowed down considerably on the base paths. Also, if mlb goes robo ump then framing doesn’t matter. The pitchers using the pitch remote to call their own pitchers means that catchers don’t really have the pressure of calling their own games anymore. 

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Handley was the no offense with defense pick in 2019.  I optimistically find his improvement from Short season to A+ to AA to AAA that he improves his stats every year against better pitching.  Especially if he can maintain what he has done since returning from his IL time in Early June.  Defensively, Handley has been had a few errors logged against him for a couple errant throws but otherwise he is still throwing out 40%ish of runners and the ones he doesn't he has no chance because of the pitcher.

Ardoin was supposed to be equal to Handley defensively when he was drafted in 2022 but with an already advanced bat.  Poor end of season in Delmarva in 2022 and up until a 1 week stretch just before the AS break wasn't hitting .180.  Then the entire Aberdeen team raised their averages against Greensboro.   So with Willems success and the stud in Delmarva beating on the door... Ardoin absolutely needs to keep his hot streak up to not be a let down.  Between Aberdeen and Handey at AAA there isn't much but filler material.

I personally don't see Urman lasting more than 2.5 years 

• Upvote 1