Sunday, July 16: Orioles vs Marlins

86this

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, I don’t disagree that he shouldn’t be here but since he is and Hyde didn’t want to use certain guys, he made sense in that situation. 

Hyde can only go with the cards he is dealt.

Yes agree.  Discouraging but that’s right.

17 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Yeah, I forgot to include Coulombe.  Seems like Baker has been more reliable than Baumann -- both have a place on this team I think. 

I think we can agree this staff needs at least two more pitchers -- hopefully Grayson will be one of them.  It would be nice if Means is the other but we can't count on that.

Regardless of who the starters are, I believe that we need another reliable bullpen arm.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Regardless of who the starters are, I believe that we need another reliable bullpen arm.

If the O's add two starters (presumably Grayson and someone from a trade), then you can move two of Irvin/Kremer/Gibson (or even Wells if there are concerns about his pitch count as a starter) to the bullpen -- and do the occasional start.

But yeah maybe the O's really should target a bullpen specific arm.  I can't see the O's adding Grayson and trading for two pitchers (a starter and a reliever), but maybe that is the ideal way to go.  If we get lucky enough that Givens or Means is also ready next month or the month after then even better.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If the O's add two starters (presumably Grayson and someone from a trade), then you can move two of Irvin/Kremer/Gibson (or even Wells if there are concerns about his pitch count as a starter) to the bullpen -- and do the occasional start.

But yeah maybe the O's really should target a bullpen specific arm.  I can't see the O's adding Grayson and trading for two pitchers (a starter and a reliever), but maybe that is the ideal way to go.  If we get lucky enough that Givens or Means is also ready next month or the month after then even better.

46 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I disagree because right behind him is Jorge Soler who happens to have 24 home runs.  Miami is not some pushover team.  O's played quite well against a good team until that last inning.

I also have no problems with Hyde's decision (Why put the potential go-ahead run on base?), but Soler had been taken out of the game already.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, LA2 said:

I also have no problems with Hyde's decision (Why put the potential game-tying run on base?), but Soler had been taken out of the game already.

Ah good point. Then maybe they should have walked Arraez 😆

Actually if they had walked Arraez they would have been putting the go ahead run on base.  Dane Myers was already on second.  

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

Ah good point. Then maybe they should have walked Arraez 😆

Actually if they had walked Arraez they would have been putting the go ahead run on base.  Dane Myers was already on second.  

Yeah my mistake--fixed it. I wd have all the more not walked him. Glad Hyde restrained any impulse to bring Bautista in instead of Coulombe.

33 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I don’t see any reason to be optimistic about Givens this year. I also don’t think it would g be a good idea to take 1 of our 2 really good starters and use him out of the bullpen. 

38 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I also have no problems with Hyde's decision (Why put the potential go-ahead run on base?), but Soler had been taken out of the game already.

The on deck hitter had a .541 OPS. Of course you take the risk vs. pitching to the guy who gets a hit 38% of the time. 

26 minutes ago, dystopia said:

The on deck hitter had a .541 OPS. Of course you take the risk vs. pitching to the guy who gets a hit 38% of the time. 

You're playing checkers and Hyde is playing chess. So you think that Schumaker would have stuck with the .541 hitter instead of going to Friday and Saturday's clean-up hitter, Jesus Sanchez, sitting on the bench with an .816 vs. LHP and 3 for 9 performance in those two games? Regardless of whether they intentionally walked Arraez or yielded a hit--and regardless of whether Coulombe wd have then stayed in the game or Bautista was brought in--you would have then had a power hitter up with the opportunity to put the Marlins ahead by two runs in the top of the 9th and their closer (Puk) rested and ready to try to shut down the O's in the bottom of the inning. Arguments can be made for either strategy, but I'm with Hyde's, esp. since Arraez is not a power hitter and it was best to keep Sanchez on the bench.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 2