Friday, July 21: Showdown in St Pete continues

SteveA

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

Maybe their worst offensive performance of the season after a big win last night....just pitiful...and it doesn't get easier tomorrow...McClanahan v Grayson..

We get it, Roy. The freefall is starting, Last place here we come.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Says who? I love Holliday and believe in his potential. But IMO when evaluating any position the combination of offense and defense must be the evaluative criteria. I hope Holliday can be as good as him in terms of the combination.

And as far as the other two are concerned, they are not in the same caliber in terms of the kind of offensive player he is, let alone the potential that he has. He's 3 years younger Ortiz and 5 years younger than Mateo. 

The place I'm coming from is not that Gunnar doesn't have SS in him. It's that I think Gunnar's tools are more likely to make him an elite 3B than SS. But he needs work there. And we have other guys both now and in the future who are better suited at SS than 3B. Regardless, it's certainly an open question.

15 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

This game shows why winning yesterday was so big.   Tampa maybe wounded but they still have all the parts of a great team.  If we get two down here it will be good.  Three games would be remarkable. 

TB is a bipolar team. They are completely different at home than on the road. A split would be a good deal for the O's.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

The place I'm coming from is not that Gunnar doesn't have SS in him. It's that I think Gunnar's tools are more likely to make him an elite 3B than SS. But he needs work there. And we have other guys both now and in the future who are better suited at SS than 3B. Regardless, it's certainly an open question.

It may indeed be true that one day SS doesn't work for him. But right now he looks kind of awesome at it. It appears to be no legitimate reason to move him off of the position RIGHT NOW. If one day he can't handle it and Holliday proves better, you can slide him over to 3B. But as the expression goes, "if it ain't broke why fix it?"

1 minute ago, O's84 said:

Can't wait till robo umps.  Seems like every other night we see a series of awful calls.

I have been waiting for it since Gregg Olson.  His curveball was so hard to call the Umpires missed it over and over.  I hated that the announcers said that the curve was fooling the umps.  Screw that.  If it is a strike it needs to be called.  Period.

• Upvote 1