My Thoughts on Today’s Game

RZNJ

11 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

My first taste of Orioles' playoff baseball was as a 7 year old in 1966. Cried myself to sleep the night they lost to the Mets in '69. Rejoiced in '70, and have deeply hated the city of Pittsburgh since October of '71. As a kid didn't know how spoiled I was. '79, '80, and '82 were a kick in the teeth, but '83 was meant to be. Then came the dark years when we meandered between miserable and mediocrity (even the Why Not '89 team was so so TBH). '95 and '96 were nice, but should have been better, same for 2014 and 2016. 

Now we're in 2023 and we have playoff baseball again after 7 long years in the wastelands. And I can't take it. I'm in my mid '60s and have to turn off the television even with a five run lead. I love 'em but I hate 'em. 

I could have written this word for word except I was 8 years old in 1966!

I was 26 in 66. What you missed were the years leading up to 66. Those years saw the emergence of a lot of good young players. And Frank completed the trajectory. We can only hope history in some way repeats itself but this ride seems so familiar. But your take after 66 is spot on.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

I don't know if Grayson "fell apart".   He walked a guy on a 3-2 pitch, he gave up a good base hit, got a couple outs, and gave up a hit on a hit on a bad hop grounder.   2 runs.

If that happens in third inning of a normal start, do you say the pitcher "fell apart"?   No, you just say he gave up some hits.    They got to him.   It happens fairly often to every pitcher, no matter how good.

So the guy has faced the minimum and given up 1 infield hit and 1 walk through 5, and because he gives up a walk, a double, and a bad bounce single in an inning he supposedly fell apart?

Falling apart is what happened to McClanahan.   Giving up 5 runs in an inning, giving up 2-run doubles to batters like McCann and Mateo.   Getting touched for a couple runs by a good offense is not falling apart, it's just something that happens once in a while, even to very good pitchers.

If it happened in the 3rd every start then yes. This is the 6th inning again. Seems to routinely be in the 6th when he stops locating, nibbles a bunch then finally gets burned. I'm watching the pattern. Getting squeezed, whatever it's all in the 6th each start. 

My assessment might be wrong, but it could be right as well, that mentally something is happening in the 6th and once he gets through that I'm thinking he's going to thrive. 

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Whole bullpen looking shaky other than Bautista.  No way Cano was going to be as good as he looked the first 2 months.  Hopefully a decent setup guy, but not #1 setup in a good bullpen.

Any hope for Tate or Givens coming back?  Maybe Povich out of the bullpen?  Clutching at straws now.

Elias needs to trade for a Miller type lock down reliever (or two). We have the assets, so there is no reason not to get this done.

8 hours ago, Hallas said:

My thoughts: I only marginally care about what happens tomorrow, because we'll leave Tampa with at least a share of the division lead.

We have one of our two best starters going against a rookie with a 5+ ERA for a chance at a 2 game lead and setting us up so we only need to take 1 of the final 4 games against the Rays to grab the tie breaker.

I strongly care what happens in the game today. :)

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, bluedog said:

We have one of our two best starters going against a rookie with a 5+ ERA for a chance at a 2 game lead and setting us up so we only need to take 1 of the final 4 games against the Rays to grab the tie breaker.

I strongly care what happens in the game today. :)

Me too! I think we should press on the gas!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Jays get the red hot Dodgers for 3 in LA next.  Would be nice to see them get swept. 

I root against every other AL east team each day.   Jays have lost a couple of tough ones to the Mariners.  I would love to see them get swept by anyone.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

4.  I’m starting to question GRods mental toughness.  He had three pitches working.   Henderson bailed him in the 4th or 5th with the line drive DP after a bad walk.   He’s in the dugout joking and laughing.  I guess it’s good that he was relaxed but it took me aback.  I like all business until your job is done.   He had a low pitch count, all 3 piches working and I believe the bottom of the lineup in the 6th and 5-0 lead.    Lead off walk on a 3-2 changeup?   Really.    A great job to get the two outs with 2nd and 3rd.  A chance to make a statement.   A back door breaking ball on 3-2?    That’s not a swing and miss pitch.  That’s maybe I‘lol catch him looking pitch.  Blow the mf away with your 97 mph fastball.   At least the previous pitch, a slider that bounced was thrown with bad intentions.

Anecdotal, but when I attended the Birdland Caravan this year and the guys were guest bartending, G-Rod was the ONLY guy that took his job at all seriously. 

I’m not sure if Adley poured a single beer (he spent the whole time hob-knobbing with fans, which was great, it was fun talking to him, great kid). DL Hall spent the whole time giggling and falling over hugging his guys. 

G-Rod was intense and “on it”, fully attentive and pouring beers faster than the bartenders. He struck me as an intense and focused guy, though admittedly I didn’t notice the laughing footage that you saw during the game yesterday.