What are the pillars of modern baseball statistics?

Greg Pappas

36 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Being clutch isn't a repeatable skill </C_o_C>

Don't you at least think some players are chokers like @Malike said? It seems perfectly plausible to me that some people are more resilient to increased stress than others. Now which stat measures that is another story.

20 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Do you guys not think it's a skill/ability to perform well in high-pressure situations that some players can reproduce and others can't? I feel like almost everyone who players/coaches the game would disagree with that.

I question why the "clutch" player can't consistently perform at that level.  They mail it in during lower leverage situations?

Edited by Can_of_corn
lower not power.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I question why the "clutch" player can't consistently perform at that level.  They mail it in during power leverage situations?

This is broscience, but some guys might actually rely on the adrenaline that comes with high-pressure situation in order to be motivated/focused enough to produce. Like people in academic/professional settings who can't get anything done until they're pressed right up against a looming deadline. If there's any truth to that, you could also see a flip side where some players don't know how to properly deal with the adrenaline increase.

It's most interesting to me because it's something that people who play the game reference all of the time. Palmer cites RISP all the time during broadcasts. Part of that is because he's from another era and does still mention stuff like pitchers' wins. But when Grayson first came up, multiple younger players were talking about how he had a penchant for clamping down when things got sticky. Seems real to them.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just know I hate looking at the fangraphs website. 

That is all. 

Absolutely, haha. I like wRCA+ and wRC+ a lot too, and feel like it's the best statistic to measure a hitter, and they don't show it on baseball reference, but I still end up using baseball reference 99% of the time just because fangraphs is impossible for me to look at. 

If I had to narrow it down to two, it would be Barrells or Barrell Rate for Hitters and Swinging Strikes or Swinging Strike Rate for Pitchers. If a player's in the red (red is good) for those stats and is underperforming, by standard stat standards, it tells me that better days are probably ahead. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just know I hate looking at the fangraphs website. 

That is all. 

Im like that too. The bbref layout is easier for me to read even though they are way behind fangraphs as far as newer/better stats go.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

This is broscience, but some guys might actually rely on the adrenaline that comes with high-pressure situation in order to be motivated/focused enough to produce. Like people in academic/professional settings who can't get anything done until they're pressed right up against a looming deadline. If there's any truth to that, you could also see a flip side where some players don't know how to properly deal with the adrenaline increase.

It's most interesting to me because it's something that people who play the game reference all of the time. Palmer cites RISP all the time during broadcasts. Part of that is because he's from another era and does still mention stuff like pitchers' wins. But when Grayson first came up, multiple younger players were talking about how he had a penchant for clamping down when things got sticky. Seems real to them.

I'm in camp you should be clamping down almost all of the time.

You can let up a bit when you have a six run lead.