Why isn't Ortiz in Baltimore instead of Mateo?

Greg Pappas

You would think that the sheer amount of bad play from Mateo will catch up with him and cause him to be cut.  I think Elias was so happy to have found Mateo for free and the idea of turning him into a major weapon was attractive.  The whole story was fun.  A thrown away player playing GG defense and steaing bases.  

It worked for a while but in the end proved to be a dream.  Mateo is not a starter.  In fact he isnt very good at baseball.  He has to be cut.

I have to wonder if the only reason Mateo is still on the team is because of what a guy like Santander thinks of him. Santander is our best hitter and everytime he scores a run or hits an RBI, he's celebrating and doing that twist thing with Mateo.

Makes you wonder if they're worried how cutting Mateo will affect the mood/performance of their best hitter etc.

Maybe that's nothing. I'm just thinking out loud. Trying to rationalize what seems irrational.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I have to wonder if the only reason Mateo is still on the team is because of what a guy like Santander thinks of him. Santander is our best hitter and everytime he scores a run or hits an RBI, he's celebrating and doing that twist thing with Mateo.

Makes you wonder if they're worried how cutting Mateo will affect the mood/performance of their best hitter etc.

Maybe that's nothing. I'm just thinking out loud. Trying to rationalize what seems irrational.

Can the O's just hire Mateo as a celebratory dancer and cut out the baseball activities?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, G54377 said:

There's no excuse at this point. Mateo has made a bone head error in a crutial spot in what, like 3 separate games in the past couple weeks? 

not defending him at all, think he needs to be replaced by Ortiz, but Mateo didnt cost us the game...Fuji did...especially with 2 outs...he walks a a lot of batters and hit two back to back...

12 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I think it’s a combination of how it affects team chemistry, and the fact that Mateo has no options. If Mateo had options, I think they would have already sent him down and brought Ortiz up. If you let Mateo go, it starts to feel a little bit thin at SS though. If there are injuries, they could be forced to rush Holliday to the majors, and I think we all know they don’t want to do that. 

34 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

You would think that the sheer amount of bad play from Mateo will catch up with him and cause him to be cut.  I think Elias was so happy to have found Mateo for free and the idea of turning him into a major weapon was attractive.  The whole story was fun.  A thrown away player playing GG defense and steaing bases.  

It worked for a while but in the end proved to be a dream.  Mateo is not a starter.  In fact he isnt very good at baseball.  He has to be cut.

There are 7.888 billion people in the world and he is one of 780 people that play in the bigs. Maybe you think there’s another 250 in the minors that are better than he is. The percent of people on his level is so low that I would have to throw an e-8 into it. Whatever you might think of whether he should be on this team, he is, in fact, good at baseball. I wish I could be as good at what I do as Jorge Mateo is at baseball.

Edited by Sydnor

16 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I don't think playing Ortiz playing twice a week like before will help him. He's better off playing every day at Norfolk.

The Orioles are better off with him playing every day in Baltimore if that means Mateo no longer starts.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I think it’s a combination of how it affects team chemistry, and the fact that Mateo has no options. If Mateo had options, I think they would have already sent him down and brought Ortiz up. If you let Mateo go, it starts to feel a little bit thin at SS though. If there are injuries, they could be forced to rush Holliday to the majors, and I think we all know they don’t want to do that. 

Westburg played more games at SS than all other positions combined at Norfolk this year.  He won't see any time there unless Gunnar and Ortiz both go down.  Urias has also played there although not recently.  Thinness really isn't an issue.  Nor is team chemistry IMO.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Westburg played more games at SS than all other positions combined at Norfolk this year.  He won't see any time there unless Gunnar and Ortiz both go down.  Urias has also played there although not recently.  Thinness really isn't an issue.  Nor is team chemistry IMO.

I’m pretty sure they view Urias and Westburg as 2B/3B guys and not anyone they want playing SS. If Ortiz gets hurt, they are forced to play one of those two at short to give Gunnar days off. We only have a month until rosters expand and they could just bring up Ortiz then anyway.