Kevin Brown

Srey

I love the Kevin Brown/Ben McDonald broadcast team.  It's my favorite one for the O's.  I think they have a lot of chemistry and I think Ben actually enjoys the joking around with Kevin and of course doesn't care that he knows nothing outside sports and hunting and has no interest in learning anything.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

So I guess you want a TV broadcast that is just like a radio broadcast.  Fine, but I don’t need that.  

Umm that’s a straw man, Frobby and you should know better. I want a broadcast, whether radio or TV, that focuses on game play above all else because SPOILER ALERT that’s why we are watching/listening. The problem is minimized on radio because there are no visuals, but on TV it is severe, to the extent that the talking heads occupy a major part of the screen. And the baseball action is basically in the background.

interviews can happen anytime. A pitch, any pitch, is a never before and never again event, and that should be the focus. Interviews during pitching changes, between at bats, before an inning, sure. But not during game play.

and FWIW, I do often turn down the TV and listen to the radio guys just to minimize that problem.

I will say that tonight I listened to the Royals radio guys and I swear the main PBP guy sounded like Joe Angel on Xanax. A great voice but totally monotonous, no banter at all, and no emotion except a world-weary wish to die, which probably isn’t what the radio audience wants to hear.

The twins guys were pretty bad too. Despite my disdain for the yokels who run our radio/TV, there certainly are worse.

49 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'll continue to say, and mean it...Kevin Brown is the best young baseball announcer in the game. He's also the best PBP man the Orioles have had on TV since Jon Miller. You dont have to agree. But he is. In my opinion.Prepared, great voice, funny when necessary, and very very knowledgable.Palmer returns Monday in the Angels series in Anaheim. Also a great broadcast team...

I totally agree Roy. Kevin makes the game broadcast so much more entertaining that I really miss him when he is not calling the game. None of the other O's PBP announcers are remotely close. I really like Kevin and Ben and I enjoy the banter. When the game is on the line though, they are very serious and you can really notice the difference in their demeanors. There are no others in MLB that I'd rather have, and I watch a lot of games.

7 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'll continue to say, and mean it...Kevin Brown is the best young baseball announcer in the game. He's also the best PBP man the Orioles have had on TV since Jon Miller. You dont have to agree. But he is. In my opinion.Prepared, great voice, funny when necessary, and very very knowledgable.Palmer returns Monday in the Angels series in Anaheim. Also a great broadcast team...

Completely agree.   As a person who does not live in Baltimore, who grew up in MI listening to George Kell and Ernie Harwell in Michigan for the Tigers, and who now lives in Southern CA, I think KB is great.   I have no idea why he gets the hate on this website that he does.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Umm that’s a straw man, Frobby and you should know better. I want a broadcast, whether radio or TV, that focuses on game play above all else because SPOILER ALERT that’s why we are watching/listening. The problem is minimized on radio because there are no visuals, but on TV it is severe, to the extent that the talking heads occupy a major part of the screen. And the baseball action is basically in the background.

interviews can happen anytime. A pitch, any pitch, is a never before and never again event, and that should be the focus. Interviews during pitching changes, between at bats, before an inning, sure. But not during game play.

and FWIW, I do often turn down the TV and listen to the radio guys just to minimize that problem.

I’m just saying you are looking for something different on a TV broadcast than I am.  There’s nothing straw man about it.  I’m not judging your preference.  

For me, I can see what the TV picture is showing me.  I don’t need the broadcast crew to be describing everything as it happens.  I don’t need them to stop whatever conversation they’re having to explain that some guy has just fouled off a pitch or hit a routine grounder to shortstop.  I certainly do want my radio crew to do that.  But TV guys should use their judgment depending on the game situation.  And of course they must be discussing things relevant to the game most of the time.  

You have a different view, which is fine with me.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Yes Palmer returns Monday and I would love to see that but I, here in LA, will be stuck watching the Angels broadcast, anyone know a workaround for that?  Except on Wednesday when I'll be at the game.

10 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

He's one of the best of the Joe Buck clones, if you enjoy that straight laced, paint by numbers broadcasting.

I enjoy my broadcasters who bring something extra to the broadcast, Harry Carey, Jimmy Piersall, Bill  White Phil Rizzuto,Gary Thorne.

I don’t love Kevin Brown. But I like him a lot.  I also see a ton of potential for him to grow. I think the O’s are lucky to have him and I think if our future is as bright as we hope he will be wonderful to chronicle that journey for us. 

John Miller isn’t coming back. Nor is Joe Angel. 

Kevin Brown is a nugget. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Couldn’t agree more and he’ll only get better.  Would really like Rubenstein to extend him.

On 4/21/2024 at 12:21 AM, Philip said:

I find this interesting, because the problem you describe seems much more pronounced with the radio team. Or maybe it’s just more noticeable on a radio broadcast because I can’t see for myself. 

4 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I find this interesting, because the problem you describe seems much more pronounced with the radio team. Or maybe it’s just more noticeable on a radio broadcast because I can’t see for myself. 

The thing about the radio broadcast is because you can’t see the action, you can’t compare the pace of the call with the pace of the game, unless you’ve turned down the TV sound, and I’ve never noticed a major problem with the radio guys.

Usually, I actually prefer the radio guys, just because they’ve got to do so much better, because there’s no visual.