The Orioles Winning The World Series Would be Unprecedented In Modern Baseball History

brucewayne

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm a firm believer in taking risks when you have outsized talent.

I don’t think the level of Gunnar’s talent was clear at that point.  But anyway, I believe you did float the idea of signing him to a long term deal back then.  Impossible to know if he would have been interested.  He presumably switched to Boras for a reason.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the level of Gunnar’s talent was clear at that point.  But anyway, I believe you did float the idea of signing him to a long term deal back then.  Impossible to know if he would have been interested.  He presumably switched to Boras for a reason.

Of course you might not be able to come to an accord.  You can't force them.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course you might not be able to come to an accord.  You can't force them.

Agreed. You cannot force them, but you have to try. With Gunnar and Holliday both hiring Boras that pretty much means that after 6 years they are playing for the Yankees, Met, Dodgers. It's just the way the sport works and people who hire Boras are sending a screaming signal that their overwhelming priority is to maximize compensation. 

We have 3 top position player talents in our organization. Adley is under control through 2027. Gunnar is under control through 2028. And Holliday has yet to debut, but if when he debuts the clock starts and it's a countdown for 6 years. My strategy to stack these years together and go for it. Why? Because 2 of them have already signaled that they are 6 and dive kind of guys.

Edited by brucewayne

8 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

Agreed. You cannot force them, but you have to try. With Gunnar and Holliday both hiring Boras that pretty much means that after 6 years they are playing for the Yankees, Met, Dodgers. It's just the way the sport works and people who hire Boras are sending a screaming signal that their overwhelming priority is to maximize compensation. 

We have 3 top position player talents in our organization. Adley is under control through 2027. Gunnar is under control through 2028. And Holliday has yet to debut, but if when he debuts the clock starts and it's a countdown for 6 years. My strategy to stack these years together and go for it. Why? Because 2 of them have already signaled that they are 6 and dive kind of guys.

Seems to me these guys are high iq and quality personality guys. You can’t assume they will bail for the highest bidder come 6 years from now. They may have won some things together and love playing in Baltimore and with each other and give the Orioles every opportunity to make it work so they can stay together. Now if the Os can or are willing to, that may be a different story. I recall Manny saying he wanted to stay in Baltimore. Despite ownership, guys like playing on this team. 

1 minute ago, sevastras said:

Seems to me these guys are high iq and quality personality guys. You can’t assume they will bail for the highest bidder come 6 years from now. They may have won some things together and love playing in Baltimore and with each other and give the Orioles every opportunity to make it work so they can stay together. Now if the Os can or are willing to, that may be a different story. I recall Manny saying he wanted to stay in Baltimore. Despite ownership, guys like playing on this team. 

Of course they are going to say they want to stay in Baltimore. What kind of guy says to his employer I hate this place, you all suck, I want to leave. Who says that while currently under contract for multiple years? Again, the signal has been sent every since Boras was hired. You hire Boras for 1 reason and 1 reason only and that is to maximize compensation. 

Good thread.

Braves & Astros are the best models in recent history to model after. Once you have your core of young stars, pay them to keep them and keep winning, then supplement with talented free agents where necessary.

Obviously not every young star is going to be kept around (I.E. Correa & Swanson) but you can prioritize the top players to extend so that you have some home grown star power with a team identity.

Also, Rays never won a championship and can't build much fan support, so they should not be the organization to emulate.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Good thread.

Braves & Astros are the best models in recent history to model after. Once you have your core of young stars, pay them to keep them and keep winning, then supplement with talented free agents where necessary.

Obviously not every young star is going to be kept around (I.E. Correa & Swanson) but you can prioritize the top players to extend so that you have some home grown star power with a team identity.

Also, Rays never won a championship and can't build much fan support, so they should not be the organization to emulate.

This. Astros didn't win poo until they spent money.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

The playoffs are not entirely a crapshoot, but they largely are.  Let’s get into the tournament and see what happens.  It would be terrific if we could win the division and earn a first-round bye.  That would greatly improve our postseason odds.  

From what we saw this week, Houston will be a tough out come playoff time.  

Houston has a great lineup 1-4. 5-9 they are basically the Royals. We need our pitchers to realize that come Playoffs. Also, this is why Holliday comes up. Him batting 8th/9th gives us the deepest lineup in the game. 

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Houston has a great lineup 1-4. 5-9 they are basically the Royals. We need our pitchers to realize that come Playoffs. Also, this is why Holliday comes up. Him batting 8th/9th gives us the deepest lineup in the game. 

We need to stack Adley, Gunnar, Holliday years while we still can. Maximize the talent on the field and go full throttle towards a championship. WIN. THE. WORLD. SERIES.