Game of the year?

Moose Milligan

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We have Felix, and they don’t.  

Yeah, good point.

On "King Felix Night," no less. Delicious irony! :)

(Side note: Dream image on awaking this morning was a huge mountain lording over the Seattle skyline... and it was called Mt. Elias, or Mt. St. Elias*). ;)

* an actual mountain, I later recall, on the Yukon/Alaska border

Edited by now
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, I read several remarks to that effect in the game thread, but it’s not like the Mariners were hitting the snot out of the ball.  It was a great pitchers’ duel and it was a matter of which team would find a way to eke our a run.  We did, and they didn’t.   We have Felix, and they don’t.  

Agreed.  We didn't get lucky or steal one.  We eked it out.

And yes, we have Felix.

Insert some try hard quote from Kevin Brown about having the right King Felix here.

• Upvote 1

This was an excellent pitchers duel all the way around. Even the losing pitcher in the game, Suarez, was throwing 102 MPH heat.

Roy had a thread that he posted earlier from Any Given Sunday about the game of inches. In this game Kirby pitched a gem. Cole Irvin pitched a gem. Mike Baumann pitched a Gem. Felix Bautista pitched a gem. 

But where the inches matter was the inch it took for the Mariners base runner to hop off the bag while Gunnar still had the tag on. That got them out of the inning and allowed Baumann to return to the mound to pitch the 10th inning. 

The base runner inches that were prevented when Anthony Santander got that right field batted ball back to the cutoff man fast so that the runner on 3rd had to stay at 3rd. Then the inches for Cano throw a pop out instead of a home run, and a few inches underneath the bat to get a ground ball that Cano could feild and throw to 1st for the 3rd out.

The inches for Cedric to get a good jump and be safe stealing 3rd base 

Enough inches for Mountcastle to get enough of the base ball to drive it for an RBI game winning hit.

And enough inches for Felix's splitter to drop and miss swinging bats. 

Those are the inches that all stacked up for a win. A great victory.

But tomorrow we must keep in stacking. We have a great chance to win the series after winning this instant classic pitcher's duel tonight.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This was an excellent pitchers duel all the way around. Even the losing pitcher in the game, Suarez, was throwing 102 MPH heat.

Roy had a thread that he posted earlier from Any Given Sunday about the game of inches. In this game Kirby pitched a gem. Cole Irvin pitched a gem. Mike Baumann pitched a Gem. Felix Bautista pitched a gem. 

But where the inches matter was the inch it took for the Mariners base runner to hop off the bag while Gunnar still had the tag on. That got them out of the inning and allowed Baumann to return to the mound to pitch the 10th inning. 

The base runner inches that were prevented when Anthony Santander got that right field batted ball back to the cutoff man fast so that the runner on 3rd had to stay at 3rd. Then the inches for Cano throw a pop out instead of a home run, and a few inches underneath the bat to get a ground ball that Cano could feild and throw to 1st for the 3rd out.

The inches for Cedric to get a good jump and be safe stealing 3rd base 

Enough inches for Mountcastle to get enough of the base ball to drive it for an RBI game winning hit.

And enough inches for Felix's splitter to drop and miss swinging bats. 

Those are the inches that all stacked up for a win. A great victory.

But tomorrow we must keep in stacking. We have a great chance to win the series after winning this instant classic pitcher's duel tonight.

Don't forget the inches of Mateo's great catch and jump throw, and Hays to snare that sinking liner at full sprint.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Dude made the mistake of sliding in feet first.  I don't know why anyone would do that on a stolen base attempt for that very reason...harder to control staying on the bag when you slide in like that and pop up, you run the risk of coming off the bag.  Easier to stay attached to the bag when you go in headfirst.

29 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Bautista is a K machine, and that is a huge advantage in the free runner in extras era. But we definitely shoplifted that game.  That’s what makes it a good win!  Schadenfreude.

Correct, the fact that he strikes out batters at an absurd rate is helpful.  But he cannot control the running game, anyone with good speed and a good technique can steal at will against him.  I'm not sure if Marlowe fits that bill but I was a bit surprised to not see him try to steal third.  

21 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I vote for this as the greatest win of the season missed by Roy Firestone.

This is hilarious.  I wanted to rep you for that but I'm all out.