Jorge Lopez is Back

Orioles Jim

4 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

I doubt it’s the primary motivator, just to be clear, but for a team that’s brought in Adam Frazier this year and kept Rougned Odor on the roster all last year (in addition Robinson Chironos last year), and cited their leadership as reasons for why they signed them, it’s clear the brass here place some level of importance on team chemistry in roster decisions.

Rightly or wrongly. 

This is silly.  Lopez has been awful and the expectations (and his leash) hopefully are very low and verrry short.  He was signed to pitch.. not to make himself or others feel good.   If he gets hammered even once then he needs to be waivered. 

33 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

This is silly.  Lopez has been awful and the expectations (and his leash) hopefully are very low and verrry short.  He was signed to pitch.. not to make himself or others feel good.   If he gets hammered even once then he needs to be waivered. 

No one is saying anything about making anyone “feel good” like this is some sort of a charity case.

Again, it’s clear that this team values team chemistry in the way in which they sign certain guys and continue playing them even after it’s long clear they’re on-field productivity is subpar (Odor, Chironos, Frazier, et al).

You don’t have to agree with it, you don’t have to like it, but they clearly do it.

Edited by Orioles Jim

16 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

No one is saying anything about making anyone “feel good” like this is some sort of a charity case.

Again, it’s clear that this team values team chemistry in the way in which they sign certain guys and continue playing them even after it’s long clear they’re on-field productivity is subpar (Odor, Chironos, Frazier, et al).

You don’t have to agree with it, you don’t have to like it, but they clearly do it.

Each player you mentioned was kept almost exclusively because of their contributions..I am not going to refight the Adam Frazier debate but for you to suggest he and Lopez are both on this team for team chemistry is just not so or to compare their contributions is also silly.  Plus Chirinos was a backup catcher.. was it feel good to have a backup catcher or necessary for every team? .  Odor was signed to do what Frazier has done much better.. the  only chemistry I gleaned from him was belting Jose Bautista and that was before he was on this team!! 

Lopez was signed to pitch.. not for some fan’s idea of “chemistry “. 

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Each player you mentioned was kept almost exclusively because of their contributions..I am not going to refight the Adam Frazier debate but for you to suggest he and Lopez are both on this team for team chemistry is just not so or to compare their contributions is also silly.  Plus Chirinos was a backup catcher.. was it feel good to have a backup catcher or necessary for every team? .  Odor was signed to do what Frazier has done much better.. the  only chemistry I gleaned from him was belting Jose Bautista and that was before he was on this team!! 

Lopez was signed to pitch.. not for some fan’s idea of “chemistry “. 

And I very clearly said that I didn’t think chemistry was the “primary motivator” at all. 

Hell, I never said that I even would want it to be a factor.

Also, the actual guys in the clubhouse disagree with you on what was gleaned from Odor chemistry-wise:

“I think a big part of it was just the clubhouse culture and some of the things that we were doing here as a team,” Hays said. “You could see the relationships building, and as the relationships between one another started to build, the chemistry of the team started to build. It was showing on the field, and I think a big part of that was Lyles, Chirinos and Roogie, and just the culture that they were creating for some of us younger guys that didn’t have a ton of experience.

“They created a good culture. And then we had a lot of guys who just went out and performed really, really well. So, I think it was just both parts. What was going on in the clubhouse was showing up out there on the field.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/on-chemistry-and-who-s-going-to-lead

5 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

And I very clearly said that I didn’t think chemistry was the “primary motivator” at all. 

Hell, I never said that I even would want it to be a factor.

Also, the actual guys in the clubhouse disagree with you on what was gleaned from Odor chemistry-wise:

“I think a big part of it was just the clubhouse culture and some of the things that we were doing here as a team,” Hays said. “You could see the relationships building, and as the relationships between one another started to build, the chemistry of the team started to build. It was showing on the field, and I think a big part of that was Lyles, Chirinos and Roogie, and just the culture that they were creating for some of us younger guys that didn’t have a ton of experience.

“They created a good culture. And then we had a lot of guys who just went out and performed really, really well. So, I think it was just both parts. What was going on in the clubhouse was showing up out there on the field.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/on-chemistry-and-who-s-going-to-lead

Good , I am glad we agree.  It isn’t a factor.  Talent and winning go together.  Lopez gets a verrry short leash, nice guy or not. 

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Good , I am glad we agree.  It isn’t a factor.  Talent and winning go together.  Lopez gets a verrry short leash, nice guy or not. 

So when Elias says that it IS a factor…

Elias wants to field the best possible Major League product, and if that means making a trade or two over the next four days, he’ll do it. But he’s also cognizant of the “excellent chemistry” inside the Orioles’ clubhouse, which is a primary reason why the team has been among the best in the big leagues over the first four months of the season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-elias-says-orioles-will-be-active-at-trade-deadline

1 hour ago, Orioles Jim said:

So when Elias says that it IS a factor…

Elias wants to field the best possible Major League product, and if that means making a trade or two over the next four days, he’ll do it. But he’s also cognizant of the “excellent chemistry” inside the Orioles’ clubhouse, which is a primary reason why the team has been among the best in the big leagues over the first four months of the season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-elias-says-orioles-will-be-active-at-trade-deadline

The article first two thirds talks about improving the team, trading away prospects “not hugs” , value, talent, upgrades, etc 

The writer says Elias is “cognizant”- cognizant means “aware of” it .. not that it is even a major factor in trades or signings .  

And it is the writer who creates the statement “primary reason why the team has been best in the big leagues” out of whole cloth. 

Is that a quote from Elias?  No it isn’t as It has no quotation marks.  I find it hard to believe Elias actually said that .. that “clubhouse chemistry” is the “primary reason” the club is winning.  

i think that is the writer’s take … period

On 9/2/2023 at 1:37 PM, Frobby said:

It’s pretty telling that he got to the Orioles without any other team claiming him.  He’s been putrid for Miami.  I’m a bit surprised we’d try this reclamation project at this juncture of the season.  

Same. Voth gave them length if needed out of the pen and had been better after a slow start. Strange move.

20 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The article first two thirds talks about improving the team, trading away prospects “not hugs” , value, talent, upgrades, etc 

The writer says Elias is “cognizant”- cognizant means “aware of” it .. not that it is even a major factor in trades or signings .  

And it is the writer who creates the statement “primary reason why the team has been best in the big leagues” out of whole cloth. 

Is that a quote from Elias?  No it isn’t as It has no quotation marks.  I find it hard to believe Elias actually said that .. that “clubhouse chemistry” is the “primary reason” the club is winning.  

i think that is the writer’s take … period

Elias in his own words:

"We bring somebody in from the outside, somebody's got to go," Elias said on Friday. "We're only allowed to fit 26 guys in that room, so there's that to keep in mind. This group's really tight, it's been working really well together. There's excellent chemistry in this group right now. So, you've got to keep that in mind, too. But I think if we make the right kind of move, it will help this team, and if the guys in that room like the move, I'm sure they'll be excited. But that clubhouse is a big asset for us.

“We've got as good of an environment as I think you'll find, and I can't imagine that's not helping us win this year.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mccann-on-clubhouse-chemistry-we-have-guys-who-truly-love-each-other-and-truly-want-the-best-for-each-other

In his own words, he clearly states that it's a factor as "a big asset for us" and that they "got to keep that in mind" and that he "can't imagine that's not helping us win this year."

You can argue whether or not it should be a factor, but by his own words, it clearly is.