Win the Division this week.

TopGunnar

18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I imagine run differential has a lot to do with it but that’s just a guess.

I just don’t think they adjust their model in-season.   They decide before the year starts how good the players are and how good the team is, and if reality is different than that 80% of the way through the season, they assume their pre-season assessment was correct and that the in-season results are an anomaly that should be disregarded.   That might make some sense 25-50% of the way through a season, but at some point it becomes absurd.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just don’t think they adjust their model in-season.   They decide before the year starts how good the players are and how good the team is, and if reality is different than that 80% of the way through the season, they assume their pre-season assessment was correct and that the in-season results are an anomaly that should be disregarded.   That might make some sense 25-50% of the way through a season, but at some point it becomes absurd.  

I have similar thoughts. They seem like they never want to be wrong. Even if they look at run differential and Pythagorean w/l, that still says the Orioles should "only" be a .575 winning percentage team. Where does the projection that they should play .500 the rest of the way come into the picture? They've played 139 games of .633 baseball and now all of a sudden they're only going to be .500 the last 23 games because fangraphs made a preseason prediction that they would be bad?

8 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I have similar thoughts. They seem like they never want to be wrong. Even if they look at run differential and Pythagorean w/l, that still says the Orioles should "only" be a .575 winning percentage team. Where does the projection that they should play .500 the rest of the way come into the picture? They've played 139 games of .633 baseball and now all of a sudden they're only going to be .500 the last 23 games because fangraphs made a preseason prediction that they would be bad?

Needless to say, I don’t think it’s specific to the Orioles or biased against them.  It’s just really inflexible and not realistic.   

FWIW, Vegas has the O’s with the 4th best odds to win the WS, at +900.   I’m not sure I fully understand how that converts to percentage odds, but I think it’s basically 10% or 10 to 1.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Needless to say, I don’t think it’s specific to the Orioles or biased against them.  It’s just really inflexible and not realistic.   

FWIW, Vegas has the O’s with the 4th best odds to win the WS, at +900.   I’m not sure I fully understand how that converts to percentage odds, but I think it’s basically 10% or 10 to 1.   

So what other teams does Fangraphs give this type of treatment to?