Jack Flaherty for Closer

ScGO's

11 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I have been a huge fan of Elias, but I feel like he really swung and missed on the deadline when we really needed to add a starter that was better than what we had and a back end of the bullpen arm to take the pressure off of Bautista.

He got neither

Fuji is an interesting project, but kinda makes more sense as an arm that we would have brought in for 2021 or 2022. I'm not sure he's the answer at the end of the bullpen, but he's decent depth

Flaherty has been terrible in a starting role.

However, I am wondering if we might have actually acquired our back of the bullpen piece with Flaherty.  He's striking out 10.9 per 9 IP. I think his velo could play high 90's out of the pen. His BB per 9 have dropped a bit too. With Bautista out, we really don't have a shutdown guy. Flaherty needs to be out as a starter, but could his stuff play up in a bullpen role and possibly as the closer? He also seems like an asshole, so maybe he can just let all that hangout in a 9th inning role as opposed to dealing with his BS attitude for 4-6 innings

Elias could have been hampered by JA not willing to spend anything, don't forget. 

Whatever the role going forward for Flaherty, the hook needs to be quick and without hesitation.  With that HR in the 4th on Friday night, you could literally see him deflate.  He's done when that occurs.  Recognize it and move to the next guy.  I think he's a middle reliever from here on out.  I want him to succeed, but he just doesn't seem right right now.

So I went to BR to see how much Flaherty has pitched out of the BP. It's not very much. He's been a starter his whole career. He's had 4 appearances in his career where he didn't start. That's counting one in 2017 when he was just called up. 2 in 2021 and one appearance in 2022. He's never pitched in relief in the post season. 

Why would anyone think he would would excel as a closer or even a high leverage reliever? I'm not saying it's impossible. But it seems rather unlikely to be a successful experiment.

7 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So I went to BR to see how much Flaherty has pitched out of the BP. It's not very much. He's been a starter his whole career. He's had 4 appearances in his career where he didn't start. That's counting one in 2017 when he was just called up. 2 in 2021 and one appearance in 2022. He's never pitched in relief in the post season. 

Why would anyone think he would would excel as a closer or even a high leverage reliever? I'm not saying it's impossible. But it seems rather unlikely to be a successful experiment.

His first three innings in last start maybe?  His FB touched 97, not 92.   Maybe not closer, but see how he functions in setup or 7th inning roles ..if he blows up then DFA him 

It looks like this rotation tweak not only joins Bradish and Grayson but it also puts them on schedule for the Nationals Tuesday-Wednesday perhaps in hopes of giving the Red Sox series an extended spring training vibe.

In the bad scenario, it also gives Bradish regular rest for next Sunday Game 162 if work is not complete then.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is an ass covering move because he didn’t work out here as a starter. So now they gotta put him in the bullpen. 

I’m happy he’s out of the rotation but I don’t think our bullpen needs another guy with command issues. I’d have rather just released him altogether. 

It still could happen if the next 7-10 days don't show any promise.     His 40-man spot could be useful if they want to go reliever heavy for the first tournament series, or even goof around with Terrance Gore type things for a short series.

I haven't looked at his numbers much, but do notice looking now the FIP is 5 while the ERA is 7.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is an ass covering move because he didn’t work out here as a starter. So now they gotta put him in the bullpen. 

I’m happy he’s out of the rotation but I don’t think our bullpen needs another guy with command issues. I’d have rather just released him altogether. 

I mean, if he looks as good as he did in the first 3 innings of his last start, I'd take that out of the pen. The dude was flat-out dominant.

• Upvote 1

Rotation after

35 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It looks like this rotation tweak not only joins Bradish and Grayson but it also puts them on schedule for the Nationals Tuesday-Wednesday perhaps in hopes of giving the Red Sox series an extended spring training vibe.

In the bad scenario, it also gives Bradish regular rest for next Sunday Game 162 if work is not complete then.

Of course always possible something changes. Assumes off day changes nothing. 

9/19 Gibson @ HOU

9/20 Bradish @ HOU

9/21 Grayson @ CLE

9/22 Kremer @ CLE

9/23 Means @ CLE

9/24 Gibson @ CLE

9/25 - off day 

9/26 Bradish - WAS

9/27 Grayson- WAS

9/28 Kremer- BOS

9/29 Means BOS

9/30 Gibson BOS