Manfred on Os moving (spoiler, it ain’t happening)

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, TheWall said:

The future is going to look significantly worse if Angelos doesn't spend to keep some of our homegrown talent. He's made a point of saying it will be really hard for us to do that and that the fans will have to pay for it (despite the fact that the team has been massively profitable while he's spent virtually nothing).

He's also playing games with the city I live in -- while they're offering him a fantastic deal -- because he's obsessed with squeezing every last penny out of every situation. He cares way more about profitability than winning, which isn't a good trait for an owner to have. Maybe he ends up spending to keep the run going, but I'm not holding my breath based on how he's acted so far and the public comments he's made. 

It is distasteful that he is using those things for leverage to get a more lucrative lease deal, but that is the way of negotiations.  If we want Angelos to pay the Elias, the front office, the coaches and the players, he is going to need as much money as possible.  I don't know the man and he does not seem like someone I want to hang out with, but so far he has taken care of the Orioles.

2 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

It is distasteful that he is using those things for leverage to get a more lucrative lease deal, but that is the way of negotiations.  If we want Angelos to pay the Elias, the front office, the coaches and the players, he is going to need as much money as possible.  I don't know the man and he does not seem like someone I want to hang out with, but so far he has taken care of the Orioles.

But here’s the thing .. he has zero leverage.  ZERO!  He knows, the state knows , everybody knows that MLB will never ever approve a move and abandon Camden Yards.

But egomaniacal types believe they can argue about anything and get their way. 

Public negotiations are ugly.  He does seem to be stirring up the general public, with fear and threats.  It also feels like the new Governor is feeling a little pressure to get this done.  He shows up on the media all the time assuring voters he will get this taken care of.  Pressure is John Angelos's friend.   

1 minute ago, Daddy-O's said:

Thanks Tony, I am not going away.  I love the Hangout too much.  I am just saying we have everything we always wanted for this franchise and I am very content.   

I'm very content where the Orioles are right now myself, but I have zero confidence that JA won't screw it up somehow. I would never allow my contentment to interfere with the facts that JA is an awful owner, just like his father. The apple did not fall far from the tree, except when it came to being lawyer, then it bounced off and flew across the yard far away because at least Peter was a successful attorney that earned his money and success.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm very content where the Orioles are right now myself, but I have zero confidence that JA won't screw it up somehow. I would never allow my contentment to interfere with the facts that JA is an awful owner, just like his father. The apple did not fall far from the tree, except when it came to being lawyer, then it bounced off and flew across the yard far away because at least Peter was a successful attorney that earned his money and success.

I don't know the man personally and hated the whole Kevin Brown thing.  I also have been and Orioles fan since 1970 and have seen a number of good intentioned owners run this franchise into the ground.  We are finally having success and I am going to enjoy it.

13 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

I don't know the man personally and hated the whole Kevin Brown thing.  I also have been and Orioles fan since 1970 and have seen a number of good intentioned owners run this franchise into the ground.  We are finally having success and I am going to enjoy it.

You do realize it's possible to both thoroughly enjoy our success this year and also to hate how Angelos behaves and runs the ownership group?

57 minutes ago, TheWall said:

The future is going to look significantly worse if Angelos doesn't spend to keep some of our homegrown talent. He's made a point of saying it will be really hard for us to do that and that the fans will have to pay for it (despite the fact that the team has been massively profitable while he's spent virtually nothing).

He's also playing games with the city I live in -- while they're offering him a fantastic deal -- because he's obsessed with squeezing every last penny out of every situation. He cares way more about profitability than winning, which isn't a good trait for an owner to have. Maybe he ends up spending to keep the run going, but I'm not holding my breath based on how he's acted so far and the public comments he's made. 

I am not worried (maybe resigned is the right word) that they won't sign the talent to long term deals. I am more worried that ME leaves and the wrong people will be making decisions about personnel moves. I think they may sign one to a long term deal but they need to know when to flip them for younger talent. 

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

Exactly!

Nobody likes Angelos.  The really good news for us is that the best way he can make the most money is to keep the team doing very well.  As long as he keeps Elias, he has a pretty reasonable shot at doing being successful.  I don't like the politics of driving this rent negotiation to the edge, but that doesn't make it likely the Orioles do not have a home in 2024.  

JA is a putz, but he has delivered Baltimore it's best team in the Angelos Era.  It started with Elias and as long as Elias wants to be here, JA would be hurting himself to let him go.

I have zero worries of the team moving under Angelos.

You don't think he could make the most money through a sale of the team? Maybe that's just me "pipedreaming" lol

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

This is bad news. For 15 years or more I've been saying the Orioles won't move for the next few decades (after which my interest in the subject will be gone). I have posted probably dozens of times to present some of the reasons why the Orioles would not be permitted by MLB to relocate even if they wanted to. Something has finally happened  to shake my confidence in that conviction, just a little: Rob Manfred says the team won't move. That makes me worry. I suppose Manfred could be saying something that's true just by accident, like the monkey who types the complete works of Shakespeare. Still, I wish I hadn't known he said that. 

Lol, "they're not going to move" is what they always say just before they move.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I can't agree that JA is as bad as his father in the things he does -- at least not yet.  Yes, he opens his mouth and says stupid things, which he needs to stop doing.  But Peter A's worst quality is that he is a meddler (or was a meddler).  As long as JA does not meddle -- which he could end up doing -- he's a good distance better than PA and gives a chance for this team to win for several years.

1 hour ago, TheWall said:

I don't believe he really cares about winning, or really about the Orioles that much.  He's far more interested in this (fantasy?) idea he has about turning that area of the City into a profit-making scheme that I believe he thinks will bring economic growth and a revitalization of some kind. 

The Orioles baseball team's success or failure is a distant second on his list of priorities, and that's why Elias has had as much freedom as he's had - JA doesn't want to be bothered except to enforce budget restrictions in order to support those redevelopment plans. 

• Upvote 1