97 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins MVO?

• Adley Rutschman
    • Gunnar Henderson
    • Félix Bautista
    • Kyle Bradish
    • Kyle Gibson
    • Other (Please Name)

Probably a dozen others I would put before Gibson, but it is clearly a 3-man race between Adley, Gunnar and Bradish.

I went with Adley, but any of those three choices are defensible. I know Gunnar has put up the highest WAR but I think catchers are shortchanged in WAR calculations (as are designated hitters) and Adley's steady presence in the lineup has been the key to this team. Other guys get hot or cold, but rarely is there anyone I want up more in a big spot than Adley.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1

A ton of options.  We're not heavily dependent on a handful of guys. 

Adley is the bedrock.  So much of the team is built on his foundation (OBP, XBH, pitching, defense, relational skills...).  Can't go wrong picking Adley.

Gunnar's brilliance had been building all season.  He's been as advertised.  And better defensively.  Can't go wrong here either.

Grayson's development has been very important for the second half.  Not quite the threshold for the year, but maybe the playoffs.

A ton of offensive role players who have had big/key moments (Santander, O'Hearn, Mullins, Mountcastle, Hays, Hicks, Frazier) and crucial depth/match-ups.  Pitching has had a few big moments from Cano, Wells, Gibson, and Kremer too.

Bautista was the final nail for the 1-run wins.  There's a strong case to be made that he's the best at his position across the league.  Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think any of our other players have as strong of a case (some in the conversation).  

But I went with Bradish.  He's been a consistent TOR all season.  Top 3 in ERA is as valuable as it can get.

Our biggest questions at the beginning of the season was pitching.  Bradish was a big reason for the jump, Bautista was a big reason when healthy too.  I see good arguments for Gunnar/Adley and assume Gunnar gets the nod.

For me one of Bradish/Bautista helped the team make the jump this year and went with Bradish since he was listed.  

27 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Probably a dozen others I would put before Gibson, but it is clearly a 3-man race between Adley, Gunnar and Bradish.

I went with Adley, but any of those three choices are defensible. I know Gunnar has put up the highest WAR but I think catchers are shortchanged in WAR calculations (as are designated hitters) and Adley's steady presence in the lineup has been the key to this team. Other guys get hot or cold, but rarely is there anyone I want up more in a big spot than Adley.

Voted Adley too, only because the O's dont have another Catcher that provides the offense he brings. The O's have depth at SS and 3B even though Gunnar's still had a great year.