ALDS Game 2 - Revenge of the O's

86this

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

To me, pitch framing is a lot like flopping in basketball or soccer--an attempt to make something look like it happened even though it didn't actually happen. Those other sports tolerated the ruse for a while, and then tried to deter it by punishing the flopper. One difference is that pitch framing is much easier to detect, punish and deter. Just make it league policy that if the catcher moves his glove other than to catch the ball, it's not a strike.

I coached high school fast pitch for a long time, and between innings of a close game,  the umpire pulled my catcher aside to talk. He told her to stop insulting his intelligence with exaggerated pitch framing, that he's familiar with the strike zone. I had to smile. I don't understand why umps don't call out the catchers in MLB.

13 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

To me, pitch framing is a lot like flopping in basketball or soccer--an attempt to make something look like it happened even though it didn't actually happen. Those other sports tolerated the ruse for a while, and then tried to deter it by punishing the flopper. One difference is that pitch framing is much easier to detect, punish and deter. Just make it league policy that if the catcher moves his glove other than to catch the ball, it's not a strike.

There was a pitch that GR threw in the first inning where AR caught a strike that wasn't called and very obviously moved his glove in a manner that said "look at me....I am pitch framing".

Ump called it a ball.

There was a pitch in the same first inning where the Rangers catcher caught a very obvious ball and the ump called it a strike, all because the catcher caught the ball and moved it into the strike zone almost through osmosis.

It was cool to see. Kind of like seeing a dancer who has no rhythm and one who does.

AR  has no rhythm. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

10 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

The amount of time and energy catchers and their coaches put into developing this skill is considerable.  And framing “stats” are part of whether a catcher is judged. 
And the same umpires that can’t see strikes now and are easily fooled by framing are unlikely to be able to see “moving”. 
Nope.. I want balls and strikes determined by cameras like lines are judged in tennis