The Vibe is in Shambles

SilentJames

On 10/9/2023 at 12:08 PM, SilentJames said:

So here we sit in the cold leftovers of just a bummer of a weekend. The Orioles that showed up on Saturday and Sunday did not seem like the team that we have watched all summer. The team that generated just an immaculate vibe. 

Horrible pitching in game two, shockingly unclutch hitting in game one, miscommunication on the play in the late innings, and to top it all off noteable pest Zack Hemple claims he caught Gunnar's homer in the flag court. 

The vibe is in shambles my friends. 

What are we doing in the next 24 hours to bring it back? 

I don't know, maybe it's just me. Game 1 was fine. It's the playoffs and it was competitive through the last out. Some things didn't go the Orioles way. But nothing to really be upset over.

Game 2, Grayson just didn't bring it. But the bats and the team showed energy and life. If Grayson put together an okay performance, we might be sitting here with a 1-1 tie and feeling decent. But the starting pitching hasn't been as good as Texas' starting pitching.

What brings it back? Scoring first with our lineup becoming electric again, and shutting the door with pitching each inning.

Or just a crazy comeback win that gives the O's some momentum, which we've seen time and time this year.

Edited by dzorange
  • Upvote 1

I've been saying to those around me whom I can trap in a corner, the problem has been the pitching - I don't know if it's due to how the pitch clock has changed the game, or if it's just an us thing. The fielding and batting is phenomenal and can bust out some amazing victories.... but you can't rely on 8-run rally breakouts and up-the-wall catches (as exciting as they are) as any sort of strategy that's going to pay out with longevity.

Or even shorter: The rest of the team, with all they're bringing in, just can't keep up with the deficit that the pitching has been bringing. 

2 hours ago, dzorange said:

I don't know, maybe it's just me. Game 1 was fine. It's the playoffs and it was competitive through the last out. Some things didn't go the Orioles way. But nothing to really be upset over.

Game 2, Grayson just didn't bring it. But the bats and the team showed energy and life. If Grayson put together an okay performance, we might be sitting here with a 1-1 tie and feeling decent. But the starting pitching hasn't been as good as Texas' starting pitching.

What brings it back? Scoring first with our lineup becoming electric again, and shutting the door with pitching each inning.

Or just a crazy comeback win that gives the O's some momentum, which we've seen time and time this year.

For me, it's not even about Grayson. Grayson was going to pitch in this series. So, we have to live with what he gave us.

Baker on the other hand, had no business being on the roster, let alone seeing the mound.

37 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

For me, it's not even about Grayson. Grayson was going to pitch in this series. So, we have to live with what he gave us.

Baker on the other hand, had no business being on the roster, let alone seeing the mound.

That’s fair, but if Grayson doesn’t have a bad start like that we’re not talking about Baker. Flaherty would have probably been the best option. But I don’t think Grayson giving up 5 runs after being given a 2-0 lead can be overlooked. That was the number one problem with Game 2.

1 minute ago, dzorange said:

That’s fair, but if Grayson doesn’t have a bad start like that we’re not talking about Baker. Flaherty would have probably been the best option. But I don’t think Grayson giving up 5 runs after being given a 2-0 lead can be overlooked. That was the number one problem with Game 2.

I thought it was Mountcastle not hitting a sac fly?  😉