Infield alignment

RZNJ

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't describe his tone as adamant or in any way suggestive he might become disgruntled playing 3B. 

I probably should of said consistent or unwavering instead of adamant. He is always polite when interviewed, but trying to read between the lines given his competitive spirit. I just don't believe he is going to give up the SS position without a fight. I don't think that's a bad thing either.

I still want to see Mayo get max reps in a corner outfield, preferably right field.  I think Basallo will ultimately be at 1B.  Having 1B Basallo, 2B Holliday, SS Henderson, 3B Westburg, C Rutschman, RF Mayo, CF Bradfield , LF Cowser, and DH Kjerstad would be pretty awesome.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I still want to see Mayo get max reps in a corner outfield, preferably right field.  I think Basallo will ultimately be at 1B.  Having 1B Basallo, 2B Holliday, SS Henderson, 3B Westburg, C Rutschman, RF Mayo, CF Bradfield , LF Cowser, and DH Kjerstad would be pretty awesome.

I think that if you can keep that bat at Catcher you keep that bat at Catcher.

I just pray we don't sign another veteran leadership infielder.  Adley and McCann are leaders.  Cedric and Hays are leaders.  Means is a leader.  We don't need to waste a roster spot on a minimally productive infielder like Frazier or Odor at this point.

A quality starting pitcher and high leverage bullpen arm should be the priorities.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As long as Soto isn't clogging up DH I don't see an issue for the year or so they will overlap.

Keep in mind, it looks like Elias is no longer slow playing prospects.  Basallo might move faster than we think now that he's at Bowie.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I ain't moving him of Catcher unless I have to.

That would be the case if he was ready in April.

Trying to optimize the value of a nine player lineup vs. one particular position.  But, I can recognize there are lots of options for doing that, including trading any of those players if an opportunity to improve the team or system arise.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I still think the most likely outcome is Holliday at SS, Henderson at third, Mayo at first and Westburg or Ortiz at second.

Would love to see this.    Either Westburg or Ortiz can be the backup infielder who likely plays a few times a week.  

Chicken/egg question:  Does the Rookie Integration Plan set the pace for top-of-the-deck trading?  Or does roster stability limit the RIPing in 2024? 

Sure, both are possible.  But which side do you weigh more?

I lean toward the RIPing the band-aid off in 2024.  

I  don't what Holliday will be at 20, but at 19 his arm was not as strong as Gunnar's is now.   That to me puts Gunnar at SS.  Holliday at 2B when he is promoted.

Mayo is going to take a while to develop defensively at 3B, but they will want his bat in the majors as soon as possible.  I think playing 1B gets him to the majors sometime next season.   But he still practices a 3B trying to get better.

I like Ortiz at 3B for his quickness.  Urias was very quick at 3B in 2022 and it won him a GG.   I think Ortiz can do that and hit well.   I don't see that quickness in Westburg when he plays 3B.  He is better at  2B but Holliday is probably a better hitter at 2B.   That makes Westburg a utility player IMO and I think Westburg could also play the OF with a little practice.  I called Westburg "Mr Everywhere"  last off season and I still think that is where he is headed.