Tender Day Deadline

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

I actually don’t think he is much insurance at this point. With Gunnar and Ortiz and Jackson coming as well, I feel like he will be traded. 

Holliday isn’t starting on the OD roster and there’s a good chance one of Ortiz or Westburg is traded.  He is insurance for that.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Holliday isn’t starting on the OD roster and there’s a good chance one of Ortiz or Westburg is traded.  He is insurance for that.

Yeah that is true. I guess my point is that I expect Ortiz and Westburg to stay and Urias and Mateo to go.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Real life is a lot different than video games. Most real life GMs won't make a deal with a player just to trade them 3 weeks later.

These guys signed their offer with the Orioles under Mike Elias, so I don't see Elias jettisoning them until at least the conclusion of Spring Training. This is real life, not video games.

Nov 15 2022 - Ryan O’Hearn agrees to one-year deal worth $1.4 million with Kansas City Royals at non-tender deadline, allowing both sides to avoid arbitration 

Dec 28 2022 - Kansas City Royals designate Ryan O’Hearn for assignment to create roster space for Jordan Lyles

Jan 3 2023 - Kansas City Royals trade Ryan O’Hearn to Baltimore Orioles for cash considerations

Real life is a lot different than video games. Most real life GMs won't make a deal with a player just to trade them 3 weeks later.

These guys signed their offer with the Orioles under Mike Elias, so I don't see Elias jettisoning them until at least the conclusion of Spring Training. This is real life, not video games.

Huh?  This happens quite often.

Teams don’t want to lose players that have some level of value for nothing. So they tender them a deal to make sure they have their rights and then they can trade them, keep them, whatever.

What do we think is the over/under for the number of players who got contracts or arbitration today? You think zero?

14 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Calling it now, an opening day infield with Mateo, Urias and whatever scrub left handed infielder they sign again to be in the bench, while Westburg gets kicked to AAA and Ortiz and Westburg stuck their until July and Holliday not coming up until September. 

It would be cool if they won 100+ games again though.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It would be cool if they won 100+ games again though.

It would be nice to have an unsustainable 1 run game record and unsustainable batting average with runners in scoring position again to help us get there too. 

I think people have to be pretty crazy to think they could just do nothing and win 100 games again...

Edited by Orioles0615
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

Calling it now, an opening day infield with Mateo, Urias and whatever scrub left handed infielder they sign again to be in the bench, while Westburg gets kicked to AAA and Ortiz and Westburg stuck their until July and Holliday not coming up until September. 

This is honestly my fear too.  That's one reason I wanted some of them non-tendered, to remove that possibility. 

One thing I'll say about McKenna is that he has improved every year. I'm sure you can make the case that the amount of at-bats he gets every season (~150-200) isn't enough to draw conclusions from. But:

2021: .183/.292/.266, 37.6% K rate, .083 ISO

2022: .237/.294/.340, 32% K rate, .103 ISO

2023: .254/.316/.361, 28.8% K rate, .107 ISO

The first couple years and the dropped flyball could leave a sour taste in people's mouths. 

It's not really a big deal if he's the last guy on the roster or not. But if he takes one more step forward? 

Side note 17 homers in 50 AAA games is insane. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

It would be nice to have an unsustainable 1 run game record and unsustainable batting average with runners in scoring position again to help us get there too. 

I think people have to be pretty crazy to think they could just do nothing and win 100 games again...

I don’t think that, but I do think that on balance the young players on the team are going to keep improving and other young guys who either had limited or no major league exposure last year will make meaningful contributions in 2024. In other words, even if our one-run game performance and RISP hitting decline, internal improvement can make up a good bit of the difference.  That said, the team will need some external help too.  

8 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

I actually don’t think he is much insurance at this point. With Gunnar and Ortiz and Jackson coming as well, I feel like he will be traded. 

I feel much better about Urias being the O's utility fielder than I do about Mateo.  Not wanting to have to plug in Mateo's bat into a lineup spot for a month due to injury.  (Yeah I know we did that for 2022 and a good part of 2023).