Hall believes he will be in 2024 rotation.

Sports Guy

• Sports Guy changed the title to Hall believes he will be in 2024 rotation.

A little misleading tweet.

”Whichever way they wanna go…..I’m gonna plan on trying to be a starter.” 

Not exactly the same as saying you plan on/expect to be in the starting rotation.

I don’t have a huge interest in stretching DL Hall out at this point.  I think that ship has sailed. He’s proven he can be a weapon out of the bullpen, so let’s roll with him there. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 2

Yep, Nothingburger with a side of No-News Fries.

I think the best plan if action is to stretch him out and start him in spring training because long tetm organizational plan/hope has always been for him to be a starter. Plus we need nother LHP starter.

Then see how it goes once he gets some starts under his belt. If he struggles as a starter, move him to the bullpen back in a role he has experienc with.

I see Hall's progression very similar to how the Braves brought along Spencer Strider. Strider began his MLB career in the bullpen before moving into the starting rotation after gaining that Big League experience.

Either way it turns out, DL Hall can be a helpful contributor to the 26 man Major League roster.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I hope Irvin, Wells and McDermott feel exactly the same way.

I would make a bet that all 3 of them will get starts this season.  Wells is a likely member of the Opening Day rotation.  The O's were very lucky with their rotation last year.  No one had a year ending injury, and the O's actually got a starter back late in the year from previous year's injury (Means).  In contrast, the Rays must have used a dozen or more starters and I'm not even counting bullpen games. 

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with the young man wanting to still be a starter, afterall, the big money is about being a starting pitcher. 

He's got the stuff to compete as a starter for sure, but his health, command record, and ability to get a ground ball continues to scream out reliever. 

Would be the worse thing in the world to have him stretch out as a starter once again this spring? Probably not, but I still think his best role at the big league level will be as a high leverage reliever. He could very well be the closer next year at some point.

I’d love for Hall to make it as a starter. Command, high pitch counts, health history, all work against him. He could be a major weapon out of the bullpen though. And his effectiveness against righties and lefties as a left hander in the post-loogy era gives him a little extra value. I’m all for giving him a shot as starter in spring training. If he stays healthy and becomes more efficient with pitch counts, he’s got a really high ceiling. One way or another he’ll be good for us. I don’t dislike the idea of him and Bautista shortening our games by two innings. 

Edited by UMDTerrapins

1 minute ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I’d love for Hall to make it as a starter. Command, high pitch counts, health history, all work against him. He could be a major weapon out of the bullpen though. And his effectiveness against righties and lefties as a left hander in the post-loogy era gives him a little extra value. I’m all for giving him a shot as starter in spring training. If he stays healthy and becomes more efficient with pitch counts, he’s got a really high ceiling. One way or another he’ll be good for us. I don’t dislike the idea of him and Bautista shortening our games by two innings. 

The first part of your post could also be said for Snell. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

A little misleading tweet.

”Whichever way they wanna go…..I’m gonna plan on trying to be a starter.” 

Not exactly the same as saying you plan on/expect to be in the starting rotation.

I don’t have a huge interest in stretching DL Hall out at this point.  I think that ship has sailed. He’s proven he can be a weapon out of the bullpen, so let’s roll with him there. 

For someone who got on my case about a thread title (I changed the title) this is just ironic and par for the course.  “Do as I say, not as I do”.  Lol

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Nothing wrong with the young man wanting to still be a starter, afterall, the big money is about being a starting pitcher. 

He's got the stuff to compete as a starter for sure, but his health, command record, and ability to get a ground ball continues to scream out reliever. 

Would be the worse thing in the world to have him stretch out as a starter once again this spring? Probably not, but I still think his best role at the big league level will be as a high leverage reliever. He could very well be the closer next year at some point.

This.  If he could be a high leverage with closer potential that would be huge - we need as close to a shutdown bullpen as possible.  Spending tens of millions on SP is fine (and recommended) but when a SP gets through their 5-6 innings then what...