Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get the ERod fascination. 

The thought seems to be that he is a lefty…but lefties have been more successful vs him than righties.

Ed Rod only because he’s at least been rumored to actually want to play for us.

I think we’ve talked about that Jorge Soler could be this year’s Adam Frazier. A FA that none of us saw coming. Power RH bat. If we get him to agree to our contract then he’d pair well with Cowser/Kjerstad. Insurance for trading Santa. 

Stephenson or a SP is all I want. Could Elias spend big bucks and we bring in Stephenson and one of Kimbrel/Robertson?  The double dip. 

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get the ERod fascination. 

The thought seems to be that he is a lefty…but lefties have been more successful vs him than righties.

He seems somewhat obtainable. Wants to stay on the east coast, won’t command a crazy contract, and is a solid mid to top of the rotation SP. Also, he only costs money. You don’t have to give up any prospects to get him. I don’t see any fascination. It’s not like there’s a 62 page thread about him or anything. 

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He seems somewhat obtainable. Wants to stay on the east coast, won’t command a crazy contract, and is a solid mid to top of the rotation SP. Also, he only costs money. You don’t have to give up any prospects to get him. I don’t see any fascination. It’s not like there’s a 62 page thread about him or anything. 

Highly unlikely that’s he’s obtainable for the Os (although I agree he should be), which is there isn’t a thread about him…because everyone knows JA isn’t going to spend the money to get him

He is someone I frequently see mentioned by Os fans as a target. He isn’t missing bats at even a league average rate the last few years.  His statcast numbers are mediocre. 

He’s fine and generally speaking, I prefer to just spend over trading prospects as well but the Os do need to make some trades and they just aren’t going to go 4-5 years at 17-22M a year. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Highly unlikely that’s he’s obtainable for the Os (although I agree he should be), which is there isn’t a thread about him…because everyone knows JA isn’t going to spend the money to get him

He is someone I frequently see mentioned by Os fans as a target. He isn’t missing bats at even a league average rate the last few years.  His statcast numbers are mediocre. 

He’s fine and generally speaking, I prefer to just spend over trading prospects as well but the Os do need to make some trades and they just aren’t going to go 4-5 years at 17-22M a year. 

If Elias is to be believed, they were in on Bassitt last year. So, they’ve shown a willingness to approach that yearly salary. This would just be adding one more year on to his contract. I hear you on the missing bats aspect with EdRod, and it’s cause for concern, but he has been able to consistently induce weak contact. 

I don’t really agree that we’ve got prospects burning a hole in our pocket and we have to spend them. I think we have to move people like Santander, Hays, Urias, and Mateo. But I don’t see why we need to move their replacements. 

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If Elias is to be believed, they were in on Bassitt last year. So, they’ve shown a willingness to approach that yearly salary. This would just be adding one more year on to his contract. I hear you on the missing bats aspect with EdRod, and it’s cause for concern, but he has been able to consistently induce weak contact. 

I don’t really agree that we’ve got prospects burning a hole in our pocket and we have to spend them. I think we have to move people like Santander, Hays, Urias, and Mateo. But I don’t see why we need to move their replacements. 

His hard hit/exit velo/barrel numbers the last 2 seasons have been anywhere from below average to barely above average. He isn’t anything special at eliminating hard contact.

We have absolutely zero idea how much they were in on Bassitt or any other FA last year.

They absolutely have prospects that don’t have a future in Baltimore even if you move some of the vets.

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

So far nobody done anything yet, other than the Cardinals and Phillies. 

Braves made the trade for Kelenic just before the meetings. Wade Miley should sign with the Brewers today. 

Things should start popping off this afternoon. 

Edited by interloper

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/winter-meetings-are-starting-and-orioles-still-seek-pitching

Lots of good stuff in here.

This Nola line jumped out to me:

In similar fashion, expressing interest in a starter like Aaron Nola isn’t an indication that they would have spent in the neighborhood of $172 million for him.

So, in essence, they could "express interest" in every free agent.   

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/winter-meetings-are-starting-and-orioles-still-seek-pitching

In similar fashion, expressing interest in a starter like Aaron Nola isn’t an indication that they would have spent in the neighborhood of $172 million for him.

I honestly never know when Roch is spitting back something he’s heard from the org and when he’s just spitballing the same way that you and I do.   I don’t have the impression that he spends a lot of time digging.  

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would argue there is nothing of interest in this blog. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I honestly never know when Roch is spitting back something he’s heard from the org and when he’s just spitballing the same way that you and I do.   I don’t have the impression that he spends a lot of time digging.  

I feel like the Elias regime gives him absolutely nothing to work with and he has no choice but to just put vanilla conjecture out there. Not sure there’s anything he can do about it.