Is Luzardo a realistic target?

Frobby

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Is James McCann one of the 30 best catchers in the world this year?

If so the market would be more efficient if he went to Miami to start.

The 2023 Marlins are also coming off a year using Joey Wendle as their primary shortstop.     He had a 47 wRC+ twenty points worse than Jorge Mateo.

What all does it take to get Tanner Scott back?

They have journeyman Jon Bertí at SS who actually did a pretty good job there.  I’m sure they’d like a prospect there but not as desperate as you think.

The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that they actually pull the trigger on a Luzardo trade. With Alcantara out for 2024, they kind of need him to anchor their rotation.

Trevor Rogers (3 years of control) and Edward Cabrera (5 years) should be available though, especially for immediate (and controllable) help since they plan to contend in 2024. Maybe Hays, Ortiz, and a pitching prospect or two for one of those guys? It instantly upgrades their lineup in 2 spots and adds an arm or two back into the pipeline while we get a controllable young high ceiling SP and clear a spot in the OF for Kjerstad, Cowser, or Stowers to claim in ST.

That seems like a much better option from a long-term organizational health perspective than overpaying for 2 years of Cease.

14 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that they actually pull the trigger on a Luzardo trade. With Alcantara out for 2024, they kind of need him to anchor their rotation.

Trevor Rogers (3 years of control) and Edward Cabrera (5 years) should be available though, especially for immediate (and controllable) help since they plan to contend in 2024. Maybe Hays, Ortiz, and a pitching prospect or two for one of those guys? It instantly upgrades their lineup in 2 spots and adds an arm or two back into the pipeline while we get a controllable young high ceiling SP and clear a spot in the OF for Kjerstad, Cowser, or Stowers to claim in ST.

That seems like a much better option from a long-term organizational health perspective than overpaying for 2 years of Cease.

Cabrera isn’t worth all of that and I’m a big fan of acquiring him.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Cabrera isn’t worth all of that and I’m a big fan of acquiring him.

I dunno, man- he's put up a 6.6 H/9 and 10.1 K/9 in 197.2 career IP, and he's still got 5 years of control, AND he's still just 25 years old.

Like, yeah, I know the walks are problematic and he needs some finishing work, but I think I would be cool with giving up Hays' arb 2 and 3 years, Joey Ortiz, and maybe like Juan Nunez to add that kind of arm to our organization.

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I dunno, man- he's put up a 6.6 H/9 and 10.1 K/9 in 197.2 career IP, and he's still got 5 years of control, AND he's still just 25 years old.

Like, yeah, I know the walks are problematic and he needs some finishing work, but I think I would be cool with giving up Hays' arb 2 and 3 years, Joey Ortiz, and maybe like Juan Nunez to add that kind of arm to our organization.

Well you said a pitching prospect or 2…and I thought you meant a real pitching prospect.

So sure, I would do that although the MLer I want to trade is either Santander or Mountcastle and they could work too.

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He’s got a great looking statcast page.  All red EXCEPT for the 1% in walks.  Lots of upside but I don’t think the O’s trade for a human experiment to plug into the rotation.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well you said a pitching prospect or 2…and I thought you meant a real pitching prospect.

So sure, I would do that although the MLer I want to trade is either Santander or Mountcastle and they could work too.

Not a top org pitching prospect or anything, no, just a young arm or two that has some upside that they like. Hays and Ortiz would be doing the heavy lifting value-wise in my proposal.

I'm not ready to give up on Mountcastle just yet, mostly because his ridiculous Statcast numbers have to translate sooner or later, right? I also think Santander is more integral to our 2024 success than Hays is. I think Cowser can replicate most of Hays' offense, but if Kjerstad doesn't hit the ground running, Santander's reliable 30ish HR power may be sorely missed.

I would trade any of the 3 under the right circumstances though.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s got a great looking statcast page.  All red EXCEPT for the 1% in walks.  Lots of upside but I don’t think the O’s trade for a human experiment to plug into the rotation.

Thought about that too, if he has options remaining, I would be cool with starting him in Norfolk while the braintrust tries to fix him up.

We'd still kind of need another pitcher to round out the OD MLB rotation in that case, so maybe you also trade for Bieber's final arb year or sign Stroman or Clevinger in that scenario.

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Not a top org pitching prospect or anything, no, just a young arm or two that has some upside that they like. Hays and Ortiz would be doing the heavy lifting value-wise in my proposal.

I'm not ready to give up on Mountcastle just yet, mostly because his ridiculous Statcast numbers have to translate sooner or later, right? I also think Santander is more integral to our 2024 success than Hays is. I think Cowser can replicate most of Hays' offense, but if Kjerstad doesn't hit the ground running, Santander's reliable 30ish HR power may be sorely missed.

I would trade any of the 3 under the right circumstances though.

I wanted ECab last year.  I’m a big fan. The command and control issues are real but I’ll take my chances with that arm in our organization.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Thought about that too, if he has options remaining, I would be cool with starting him in Norfolk while the braintrust tries to fix him up.

We'd still kind of need another pitcher to round out the OD MLB rotation in that case, so maybe you also trade for Bieber's final arb year or sign Stroman or Clevinger in that scenario.

That’s been my scenario..get that young arm and get a better guy than Kremer.

I doubt we add 2 starters though.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s been my scenario..get that young arm and get a better guy than Kremer.

I doubt we add 2 starters though.

I would be fine with Clevinger as the OD #3 if we also added a tantalizing arm like Cabrera to our long-term picture. Along with Kimbrel, that would be a very satisfactory offseason.

Of course, cutting out all of the extra steps and just signing Sonny Gray to slot right in as our clear #1 would have been the finest outcome of all, but it's clearly not reasonable to expect Orioles ownership to invest meaningfully in a team that just won 101 games with a bottom 3 payroll and only really lacks a clear rotation anchor.

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I'm a big fan of adding Cease, but the WS demands seem unrealistic.  I would prefer adding a young arm like Cabrera to signing a 1 year inning eater or trading for a pitcher w/ 1 year before free agency. 

8 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Trevor Rogers pitched 18 innings, who is going to give them any value for him. Cabrera pitched 99 innings of 4.25 ERA with a WHIP of nearly 1.5. They aren’t an upgrade over Gibson.