Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We used to call that a hatchet job but maybe that’s politically incorrect in this case.  The article sounds silly and anything but objective right from the getgo.

Is it silly his now ex wife bought the newspaper in Alaska and used it to promote her preferred candidate or not? Than that candidate carried out her wishes? 

Unfortunately we have little to no objective and independent media left in the world. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think this news is leaking because it's real. This thread is a low-key way to announce a major celebration.

I remember thinking the same thing when Snyder announced he was essentially looking to sell the team. It wasn't this definitive bombshell that a sale would happen. People speculated about his motives a million different ways, but in the end the truth was right there to see. His reign was over.

I think the Angelos reign is similarly over.

I certainly think the news is real, yes. Do I have confidence that Rubenstein won't breathe the wrong way during a negotiation and Angelos takes offense and nukes the whole thing? No, no I do not. 

Jokes aside, I hope it happens. But I will not be getting prematurely excited, nor do I discount the fact that things could get worse. Things can always get worse, as the ever-joyful CoC likes to remind us. 

So... let's just see what happens. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, I just think it's weird that, after 30 years of mostly terrible ownership, the Angelos family could be looking to sell and your first thought is "Jeez, that guy is old, it would suck to have to go through this again in 10 years."

I mean, if that's your reality, that's cool.  I think most of us would just be thrilled to get Angelos gone.

I think Rubenstein plans to live to be 94+ as well. 

As am I. 😆

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Is it silly his now ex wife bought the newspaper in Alaska and used it to promote her preferred candidate or not? Than that candidate carried out her wishes? 

Unfortunately we have little to no objective and independent media left in the world. 

No kidding.  You’re depending on the NY Post. Lol

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I don't like this dude for a number of reasons, and yes, I've heard of him before a week ago.

But I will say this: How these billionaires make their money can you tell a lot about how they're going to run their organizations.

Peter Angelos made his money as a trial lawyer and he ran his baseball team as one.  It was disastrous on a numbrer of levels.

Steve Bisciotti made his money in personnel, and he's ran his football team as such.  And it's been very successful.

Rubenstein is a lawyer and investment capitalist, who seems to have made his money largely because of a lot of friendly relationships with people inside the Beltway.

That doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Is that much different than Steve Cohen?