MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

19 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

https://twitter.com/EvanandTikiWFAN/status/1760856472143925674?cxt=HBwW1Mawqbno6O8wAAAA&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email

Evan and Tiki

@EvanandTikiWFAN

Marty Mush says Blake Snell to the Yanks is all but a done deal.

Must be nice to have unlimited money to throw around.   Let's see how it works out for them.

1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

https://twitter.com/EvanandTikiWFAN/status/1760856472143925674?cxt=HBwW1Mawqbno6O8wAAAA&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email

Evan and Tiki

@EvanandTikiWFAN

Marty Mush says Blake Snell to the Yanks is all but a done deal.

If this happens and if Rodon and Snell can stay healthy, that stuff could be the Os kryptonite.

5 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

The Yankees have always been the thorn on the O's side.  The O's need to spend on Montgomery to keep up.

Not if it's a long term contract. Montgomery is a good player, but not a great one. With Boras as his agent he's more than likely going to get someone to overpay and overcommit to him. The only players the Orioles should even be considering giving long term contracts to are the young core players on their own team. 

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If this happens and if Rodon and Snell can stay healthy, that stuff could be the Os kryptonite.

If pigs could fly...

Not convinced by Snell. 5 inning pitcher with an absurdly high walk rate in a pitchers park. He deserved the CYA, but it's not like there was much competition last year.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Not if it's a long term contract. Montgomery is a good player, but not a great one. With Boras as his agent he's more than likely going to get someone to overpay and overcommit to him. The only players the Orioles should even be considering giving long term contracts to are the young core players on their own team. 

I'd take Montgomery over Snell. Not getting either one though.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think a reliable 30 year old lefty who's averaged 175 innings and a 121 ERA+ for the last three seasons, with solid playoff and AL East experience, actually makes sense as a pretty worthy investment.

What's disappointing to me is we've periodically heard about the O's checking in on these high priced guys for the last two off-seasons, just in case their price for whatever reason might fall, and here we are almost certainly looking at that scenario right now. I'm sure the lack of movement by the O's is tied to any number of reasons, whether it's that they don't like him too much, the ownership transition situation, or they're just never going to invest multiple years in FA SPs.

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think a reliable 30 year old lefty who's averaged 175 innings and a 121 ERA+ for the last three seasons, with solid playoff and AL East experience, actually makes sense as a pretty worthy investment.

What's disappointing to me is we've periodically heard about the O's checking in on these high priced guys for the last two off-seasons, just in case their price for whatever reason might fall, and here we are almost certainly looking at that scenario right now. I'm sure the lack of movement by the O's is tied to any number of reasons, whether it's that they don't like him too much, the ownership transition situation, or they're just never going to invest multiple years in FA SPs.

He’s a good sign if you aren’t signing him for 5+ years at 30+M a year.

I would take sign him for 3-4 years or something like 2/60 with an opt out after year one 1 but he’s not a break the bank, sign long term type guy. 

I am not scared of Blake Snell, and would only be bothered if some competitor got a sweetheart short-term situation.

Lightning has never struck, but over the years there has been buzz the Rays have been quietly in on guys like Freddie Freeman.    In this particular instance, I don't believe Blake Snell wants much to do with their distinctive philosophy.

Now is the moment for Blake Snell to sell a large amount of guaranteed years - if he can't get more than a 1-year pillow, its the Clubs generally putting him towards a spot Trevor Bauer once spoke about wanting to occupy taking short contracts frequently.

Snell to Yankees on Rodon-like terms would I think help the Orioles in the long run.