Remember the drama around the Bedard/Adam Jones deal in early 2008?

Tony-OH

• Tony-OH changed the title to Remember the drama around the Bedard/Adam Jones deal in early 2008?
12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Here were my thoughts after the trade was finalized!

https://web.archive.org/web/20090115120624/http://www.orioleshangout.com/ttakeArticle.asp?ID=1312&page=ttake

I almost forgot about Tony Butler. Either way, the fact MacPhail got both Jones and Tillman for Bedard made this trade an absolute steal.

Tony Butler actually became an OH member at the time.  He was a solid prospect, but injuries wrecked him.  And let’s not forget the veteran Sherrill.  He did a solid job as our closer for 1.6 seasons before he was traded.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tony Butler actually became an OH member at the time.  He was a solid prospect, but injuries wrecked him.  And let’s not forget the veteran Sherrill.  He did a solid job as our closer for 1.6 seasons before he was traded.  

Sherrill was icing on the cake for sure. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

With the benefit of hindsight that is probably the 2nd best trade in Orioles History.

I am not sure.  It is definitely up there as one of the best.  Definitely debatable though.  Cuellar trade, Boddicker for Anderson and Schilling, mega trade with Yankees that brought in Scott McGregor and Tippy Martinez etc, McNally for Ken Singleton and Mike Torrez are certainly up there.  None of these top Frank Robinson trade though. 

• Upvote 1

One of the most hilarious "insider information" stories I ever heard of came out regarding this deal.  On a Mariners fan site a guy broke the news and posted that the deal was about to happen.  He heard this from his mother!  She was a travel agent that the Mariners called to book a flight for Jones from Venezuela, where he was playing in a winter league, to Baltimore - apparently for his physical.  Amazingly, the story ended up being true!  LOL.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Here were my thoughts after the trade was finalized!

https://web.archive.org/web/20090115120624/http://www.orioleshangout.com/ttakeArticle.asp?ID=1312&page=ttake

I almost forgot about Tony Butler. Either way, the fact MacPhail got both Jones and Tillman for Bedard made this trade an absolute steal.

"Everyone I talk to about Jones really likes him and believes he could easily become a Torii Hunter or Vernon Wells type center fielders." These turned into pretty accurate comps. Jones' career turned out a bit better than Wells, and not quite as good as Hunter's. The three of them had very similar peaks. The separator in a lot of their career numbers is that Wells dropped off the hardest, Jones had a pretty standard fade-out, and Hunter managed to stay in the league and perform decently until age 39. 

On the other hand, I could neg rep you for reminding me of the existence of Dennis Sarfate.

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

With the benefit of hindsight that is probably the 2nd best trade in Orioles History.

I think I’d rank it 3rd, but it’s close.  

1.  Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas and others.  

2. Scott McGregor, Rick Dempsey, Tippy Martinez, Rudy May and Dave Pagan for Ken Holtzman, Doyle Alexander, Grant Jackson, Elrod Hendricks and Jimmy Freeman.

3.  Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, George Sherrill, Kam Mickolio and Tony Butler for Erik Bedard.

I think the Bedard trade was the most lopsided, but the return in the McGregor et al. trade was really a key to our ‘79 and ‘83 World Series teams.

• Upvote 4