Remember the drama around the Bedard/Adam Jones deal in early 2008?

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Just poking around leaderboards, it seems clear Pappas was the #1 on those early 60's Orioles teams.      Across his age 24-26 seasons, he was ~Top 20 MLB-wide in ERA and fWAR.      He maintained that level for '66-'67 Reds.

Maybe something like if we traded Bradish for Machado after another good year or two (and Machado would play at reserve clause salaries as long as Angelos wanted).

Yeah, I remember not being real happy as a 12-year-old when that trade happened.  Of course, Frank hit a home run completely out of Memorial Stadium early on in the season, and I forgot all about Milt Pappas.  🙂

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yeah, I remember not being real happy as a 12-year-old when that trade happened.  Of course, Frank hit a home run completely out of Memorial Stadium early on in the season, and I forgot all about Milt Pappas.  🙂

That's probably about as long as it will take for Juan Soto to make Yankees fans forget about Michael King!

But only for one year, let's hope!     The '24 Orioles showing the Soto-enhanced '24 Yankees still who is boss could help Soto see not to commit most of his baseball life to NYY.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree Pappas was a very good pitcher and that trade wasn’t as lopsided as many think.  However, the O’s had a very good, deep, young pitching staff but desperately needed a middle of the order bat, which Frank was and then some.  The leadership he provided also was transformative for the team, something WAR can never measure.  Therefore, it easily ranks as the best trade in Orioles history even if not the most lopsided.  

Exactly.. i agree completely.  Milt was then traded by Reds to Braves for Tony Cloninger, Clay Carroll and Woody Woodward.. all key members of Big Red Machine 

7 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

If memory serves it was Jay Bruce, who was a mega prospect at the time.  But that ended up being a red herring someone in the warehouse floated to expose one of the "insiders" posting info on here.

What a time to be alive haha.

It seemed really plausible, because the Orioles wanted to draft Bruce badly and would have if he fell to them, but the Reds took him with the pick right before.

So we got Brandon Snyder instead...

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Something tells me Josh Hamilton's drug addiction and Baltimore would not have been a good match.  I think Bailey was never on the table for Bedard.

At the time, Hamilton had climbed out of a drug addiction hole and had his first good season.  His name was tossed around in Bedard trade rumors early that winter but he was traded to the Rangers on Dec. 21 while Andy was still percolating.

• Upvote 1