Breaking down Holliday’s swing

Sports Guy

.200 / .310 / 360 in the last week with 1 hr.   4 bb to 7 k's.

overall since being optioned back down to AAA :

.244/.398/.385    (98 PA)

Extremely impressive plate discipline but that is probably not enough to force a promotion.

6 hours ago, Aglets said:

.200 / .310 / 360 in the last week with 1 hr.   4 bb to 7 k's.

overall since being optioned back down to AAA :

.244/.398/.385    (98 PA)

Extremely impressive plate discipline but that is probably not enough to force a promotion.

Sometimes discipline is a product of swinging and missing a lot.  We saw it with Gunnar in the majors at the beginning of last year   

4 hours ago, Aglets said:

Weekly update:

In the last week Holliday hit .227/.414/.409 with 1 hr.   5 hits, 7 BBs, 9 K's.

Overall since returning to AAA:

.240 / .402 / .390

800 OPS in slumps is pretty good. Look at Druw Jones or Elijah Green. I believe he’s making some minor adjustments.

I was talking to a former minor leaguer.  He tells me "the league figures you out real fast".  Word gets out very quickly how to attack guys and get them out.  Clearly, the word has gotten out on how to get Holliday out.   

Now it's up to him (and the O's coaches) to make the adjustments....

Cowser too- they were pitching him very differently at the beginning of the year and he was crushing everything.  Now look at how they approach him...

Good hitters make the necessary adjustments, but it can take a long time and some can never do it...

15 minutes ago, doccat said:

I was talking to a former minor leaguer.  He tells me "the league figures you out real fast".  Word gets out very quickly how to attack guys and get them out.  Clearly, the word has gotten out on how to get Holliday out.   

Cowser too- they were pitching him very differently at the beginning of the year and he was crushing everything.  Now look at how they approach him...

Good hitters make the necessary adjustments, but it can take a long time and some can never do it...

Everyone knows Mike Trout has trouble with high located velocity. Just depends on the count whether you can dictate that to him.

53 minutes ago, doccat said:

The league didn’t have time to figure Holliday out.  He sucked and was gone before they had a chance to.   First they have to see what you can hit and what you can’t hit.  He didn’t hit, period.

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The league didn’t have time to figure Holliday out.  He sucked and was gone before they had a chance to.   First they have to see what you can hit and what you can’t hit.  He didn’t hit, period.

I read somewhere that due to the technology available in the minors now, teams have breakdowns of players strengths and weaknesses like they never had in the past.  The story documented how few players now come up from the minors  and make an impact like they did years past. 

Someone mentioned Cowser and how he got off to a hot start this year but then struggled after the league made adjustments and started throwing him more off speed.  Remember last year the word was he couldn't catch up to high velo.  He comes out this year after making swing adjustments this winter and was catching up to everything hard. 

So the cycle is Jackson will make the adjustments needed to catch up to high velo and once he does the league will adjust.  After that it is a back and forth but the best hitters end up with the least amount of holes in their swings.  Hopefully after this first adjustment by Jackson he will be well equipped to handle the next league adjustment.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

So the cycle is Jackson will make the adjustments needed to catch up to high velo and once he does the league will adjust.  After that it is a back and forth but the best hitters end up with the least amount of holes in their swings.  Hopefully after this first adjustment by Jackson he will be well equipped to handle the next league adjustment.

Not that I disagree with your post, but the batting average alone would indicate that Holliday hasn't fixed enough to really flourish in AAA, not to mention the majors. Note, I'm assuming he doesn't have some ridiculously low BABIP even with good LD%, for example.

I don't doubt that the kid will eventually be a really good ball player, but I'm starting to wonder how much of that will happen this season. 

It's Monday!   That means we get another update!

Finally he had a fantastic week.

.412/.546/.765   in the last 6 games with 1 hr and 4 total xbh.

Hope he has a bunch of weeks like this now.

Overall since being demoted he is hitting:

.265/.423/.444     (.867)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Aglets said:

It's Monday!   That means we get another update!

Finally he had a fantastic week.

.412/.546/.765   in the last 6 games with 1 hr and 4 total xbh.

Hope he has a bunch of weeks like this now.

Overall since being demoted he is hitting:

.265/.423/.444     (.867)

I saw a highlight of him drilling a line-drive double up the LCF gap, which is the sort of thing he was doing before he got called up and didn't do at all in the big leagues. Hopefully that's a good sign.

• Thanks 1