Breaking down Holliday’s swing

Sports Guy

On 6/3/2024 at 8:43 AM, Aglets said:

It's Monday!   That means we get another update!

Finally he had a fantastic week.

.412/.546/.765   in the last 6 games with 1 hr and 4 total xbh.

Hope he has a bunch of weeks like this now.

Overall since being demoted he is hitting:

.265/.423/.444     (.867)

Here is your weekly update.

Not as good as last week but still respectable enough I guess.

.240/.367/.440  with 1 hr in his last week of games.  

.261/.413/.444 since returning to AAA overall.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Here is your weekly update.

Not as good as last week but still respectable enough I guess.

.240/.367/.440  with 1 hr in his last week of games.  

.261/.413/.444 since returning to AAA overall.

He has a .900 OPS which should make me ecstatic and yet I want to see the BA climb over .300.  I saw his first AB yesterday where he struck out on 3 pitches and waved helplessly at the 0-2 slider against a LHP.  Kjerstad proceeded to rock a double to LF, Billy Cook homered, and Daniel Johnson got a single.  So Holliday was the only LH hitter of 3 who looked helpless.  His stats against LHP are decent though.

I’m not going to feel really confident in him until he stops bailing out.  I think if he came back up now they’d, sooner or later, exploit him on the outer 1/3 of the plate.   When he does drive balls to LF it’s generally on pitches in the middle.  He really looks awkward on anything close to the outside corner.

He seems like a student of hitting so it’s confusing (to me) why he doesn’t correct it.  Others have said it’s not a problem.  He must agree.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He has a .900 OPS which should make me ecstatic and yet I want to see the BA climb over .300.  I saw his first AB yesterday where he struck out on 3 pitches and waved helplessly at the 0-2 slider against a LHP.  Kjerstad proceeded to rock a double to LF, Billy Cook homered, and Daniel Johnson got a single.  So Holliday was the only LH hitter of 3 who looked helpless.  His stats against LHP are decent though.

I’m not going to feel really confident in him until he stops bailing out.  I think if he came back up now they’d, sooner or later, exploit him on the outer 1/3 of the plate.   When he does drive balls to LF it’s generally on pitches in the middle.  He really looks awkward on anything close to the outside corner.

He seems like a student of hitting so it’s confusing (to me) why he doesn’t correct it.  Others have said it’s not a problem.  He must agree.

Nice recap. It seems like he needs to start focusing on hitting those outside pitches to left field but maybe has decided that he can't do  damage on them so he's waiting on more middle-in. The problem is if he doesn't show the ability to hurt pitchers throwing him away, that's all he's going to see in the big leagues. 

As he gets stronger, he'll be able to drive the ball more to the opposite field and that should help. If not, he's going to have to be willing to take that single to leftfield until he does it so well, they're going to have to start pitching him elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Nice recap. It seems like he needs to start focusing on hitting those outside pitches to left field but maybe has decided that he can't do  damage on them so he's waiting on more middle-in. The problem is if he doesn't show the ability to hurt pitchers throwing him away, that's all he's going to see in the big leagues. 

As he gets stronger, he'll be able to drive the ball more to the opposite field and that should help. If not, he's going to have to be willing to take that single to leftfield until he does it so well, they're going to have to start pitching him elsewhere. 

Tony, he has power the opposite way but, as you know, as soon as you start reaching, you lose all your power.  His front hip is taking everything with it, that he can’t even reach the outside corner with a normal swing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Tony, he has power the opposite way but, as you know, as soon as you start reaching, you lose all your power.  His front hip is taking everything with it, that he can’t even reach the outside corner with a normal swing.

He's been "stepping in the bucket" hitting his whole career, but what he was able to do against lower level pitching was keep his hands back and at least line the ball into left field for singles on outside pitches. Perhaps the quality of the pitching at the higher levels does not make that as feasible. 

I'm not a hitting mechanics experts, but I do know once it gets around how to get you out, you have to make the adjustments. He had not really failed for an extended amount of time (besides that stretch at Aberdeen) so perhaps some of this failure will encourage some adjustments.  

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's been "stepping in the bucket" hitting his whole career, but what he was able to do against lower level pitching was keep his hands back and at least line the ball into left field for singles on outside pitches. Perhaps the quality of the pitching at the higher levels does not make that as feasible. 

I'm not a hitting mechanics experts, but I do know once it gets around how to get you out, you have to make the adjustments. He had not really failed for an extended amount of time (besides that stretch at Aberdeen) so perhaps some of this failure will encourage some adjustments.  

The funny thing is, I’ve seen minor league highlights of him barely picking that front foot up and he’s so much more squared up to the pitcher and, to me, that’s a better version.

Edited by RZNJ