Mewleski: The infield depth seems to be leading to one conclusion – a trade is coming.

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

We're not going to manifest a Santander and/or Mountcastle for Luzardo trade. It would take much more. Mountcastle + a lower level prospect for Cabrera or Rogers might have some legs though.

Santander has little or no trade value because of his age and expiring contract. The sooner we as a collective fan base come to terms with that the better. 

Part of me wants to trade Urias and Mateo for even marginal value to open up spots/roles for the prospects. Maybe give more opportunities for guys like Westburg, Norby and even Mayo to play in the outfield. 

That wouldn't address the team's pitching needs though. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Unfortunately, I think other teams want pitching, which is not a part of the O's organizational depth. 

I believe this will lead to a 3 team trade for a good starting pitcher.  I believe another team deeper on pitching prospects may be able to jump in if they can grab some position prospect talent from the Orioles

4 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

We're not going to manifest a Santander and/or Mountcastle for Luzardo trade. It would take much more. Mountcastle + a lower level prospect for Cabrera or Rogers might have some legs though.

Santander has little or no trade value because of his age and expiring contract. The sooner we as a collective fan base come to terms with that the better. 

I don’t believe I made any claims about his individual value. You act like he’s 35, but he’s 29. And his contract is only 12.7 million. He was a 3 WAR player there is some surplus value. Is a win still valued at 12 million? Any deal for him that’s not prospects would need to include some other pieces.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t believe I made any claims about his individual value. You act like he’s 35, but he’s 29. And his contract is only 12.7 million. He was a 3 WAR player there is some surplus value. Is a win still valued at 12 million? Any deal for him that’s not prospects would need to include some other pieces.

1 WAR has never been worth $12 mm. It’s been steady at $8 mm for about the last decade.  

We’ve been through this a few times, but a good comp for Santander is last year’s version of Teoscar Hernandez, who had one year of service time remaining and was traded to Seattle for a good reliever who had three years of service time remaining, Erik Swanson.  Plus a throw-in.  

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1 WAR has never been worth $12 mm. It’s been steady at $8 mm for about the last decade.  

We’ve been through this a few times, but a good comp for Santander is last year’s version of Teoscar Hernandez, who had one year of service time remaining and was traded to Seattle for a good reliever who had three years of service time remaining, Erik Swanson.  Plus a throw-in.  

Thanks … I don’t know what we can get for Santander. If it’s a 3 year reliever or a couple of prospects that’s fine. Acting like he has none is naive. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'd even argue that Hernandez was slightly more valuable, at the time, because of his ability to steal bases, which has never been a part of Santander's game. A solid bullpen arm seems about the best possible scenario for Santander. There's no chance he's headlining a deal for a young, starting controllable pitcher. Honestly, given his lack of trade value I think the team is probably just better off  keeping him. Then the can revisit trading him at the deadline if they for some reason fall out of contention or just let him walk. 

28 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I'd even argue that Hernandez was slightly more valuable, at the time, because of his ability to steal bases, which has never been a part of Santander's game. A solid bullpen arm seems about the best possible scenario for Santander. There's no chance he's headlining a deal for a young, starting controllable pitcher. Honestly, given his lack of trade value I think the team is probably just better off  keeping him. Then the can revisit trading him at the deadline if they for some reason fall out of contention or just let him walk. 

Did anyone imply that he would be a headliner? Seems like you’re jumping to conclusions. 

It would surprise me to see him go for prospects to clear a spot for Cowser. 

If he were involved in a deal for a SP,  he’d be going with a prospect/prospects or Another veteran and a prospect or two.

57 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Did anyone imply that he would be a headliner? Seems like you’re jumping to conclusions. 

It would surprise me to see him go for prospects to clear a spot for Cowser. 

If he were involved in a deal for a SP,  he’d be going with a prospect/prospects or Another veteran and a prospect or two.

You've been arguing that we've all been underestimating Santander's trade value for weeks / months so it was a pretty educated jump. I made my point in my first reply to your post about what I thought I realistic trade would be with the Marlins (i.e., Mounty + a lower level prospect for either Cabrera or Rogers).  I think the only way we'd be able to move Santander for anything of note is if we paired him with a "very good" prospect. Mountcastle would be a much more appealing trade piece for most teams because he's younger, cheaper, and under contract for three years as opposed to one.