Why Ryan O’Hearn Must Go (Sorry, Ryan)

RZNJ

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well, the important thing on that chart is that it shows that a 25% chance play gets 5 stars, not 2.   So if Tony is right that it had a 25% catch probability, it’s a 5-star play (that wasn’t made).   

But honestly, that shouldn’t be rated a 5-star play IMO.   I’ve mentioned that I don’t think they’ve really solved the problem of balls near the wall, though I know they’ve tried.   

I think we can agree that it wasn’t an easy/routine catch by any means and certainly no slam dunk that Santander makes the catch.  Maybe he doesn’t even get as close as O’Hearn did.   I think O’Hearn is below average in RF, not terrible, and was unfairly maligned by many on that play.  And don’t argue with me because you know I’m one of those people who doesn’t know when to walk away from an argument.  😆

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, the important thing on that chart is that it shows that a 25% chance play gets 5 stars, not 2.   So if Tony is right that it had a 25% catch probability, it’s a 5-star play (that wasn’t made).   

But honestly, that shouldn’t be rated a 5-star play IMO.   I’ve mentioned that I don’t think they’ve really solved the problem of balls near the wall, though I know they’ve tried.   

I definitely think the catch probability is off and the chart is right. You are absolutely right that a 25% chance of catching that ball should be a 5-star catch. There is no way that was a 5-star catch in my mind. O'Hearn almost caught that it was only because he got worried about the wall that he didn't. You catch tell me Santander would not have caught that ball. 

Even the chart contradicts itself with catch probability, which I've seen before and not understood. 

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I definitely think the catch probability is off and the chart is right. You are absolutely right that a 25% chance of catching that ball should be a 5-star catch. There is no way that was a 5-star catch in my mind. O'Hearn almost caught that it was only because he got worried about the wall that he didn't. You catch tell me Santander would not have caught that ball. 

Even the chart contradicts itself with catch probability, which I've seen before and not understood. 

Are you saying that you think it’s likely Santander makes that catch?

56 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I just noticed Colton Cowser has one of the six 5-star catches the system has given out so far this season.   

And yet, I don’t see one on his player page, same as O’Hearn.   I’d say Savant has some data  clean-up to do.

O’Hearn continues to have some of the best ABs on the team this year.  A bloop hit, a walk, and a laser to CF for an out.   4 walks and 2 strikeouts in 28 PA.   O’Hearn deserves a shout out and this is it.   Go Ryan!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

O’Hearn continues to have some of the best ABs on the team this year.  A bloop hit, a walk, and a laser to CF for an out.   4 walks and 2 strikeouts in 28 PA.   O’Hearn deserves a shout out and this is it.   Go Ryan!

Seems like everytime he is up he gives a professional at bat. Should’ve walked with the bases loaded too, if not for the ump. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Lot of MLB Network pregame from Fenway this hour with a very light MLB schedule tonight, and Jon Morosi just shared an anecdote George Brett loved him when they were in KC together.

Should thread title go to Ryan O'Hearn 2024?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He’s off to a good start. I’d still prefer Kjerstad in his role, but maybe we can move OHearn for RP help down the line. 

Just now, Just Regular said:

Lot of MLB Network pregame from Fenway this hour with a very light MLB schedule tonight, and Jon Morosi just shared an anecdote George Brett loved him when they were in KC together.

Should thread title go to Ryan O'Hearn 2024?

No.  I think the title is still appropriate.  It might be incorrect but it’s something that will be continue to be debated.   I’m glad I put the “Sorry” in the title.  Lol

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Had to bump this....to the thread title....No, he doesn't.

Our AAA guys have seemingly come back to earth, my friends.

Don’t worry, he’ll come back down to earth in no time. The Orioles didn’t actually fix his swing, that was just a fairy tale. 

Like all players, O’Hearn will go through his hot and cold stretches. Right now he is on a heater.

However, he has been one of our most consistent hitters since joining the team early last season. He is cheap and performs very well. That is not the kind of player who you give away to make room for a lesser known quantity/player.

He has real value as a consistent MOO bat who happens to be LH, which is a greater asset in our park.