Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

25 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I don't get the focus on MASN. They're owned by the team. They're not going to say anything until things are official. That's obvious.

Yeah, I get what you're saying (chain of command, etc.).  They probably don't want to overstep any type of boss/legal boundaries...  But they should at least have the autonomy to just report the news though.  Even if it's "according to Puck...  Due to the nature of the news, we can't report/don't know any more."  Whatever the reason they haven't be able to address it even at the highest/most generic level so far is the actual point of contention.

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Yeah, I get what you're saying (chain of command, etc.).  They probably don't want to overstep any type of boss/legal boundaries...  But they should at least have the autonomy to just report the news though.  Even if it's "according to Puck...  Due to the nature of the news, we can't report/don't know any more."  Whatever the reason they haven't be able to address it even at the highest/most generic level so far is the actual point of contention.

Their behavior is VERY consistent with the mode that MASN has ALWAYS operated. It's always been run like "state news". 

Ya'll are drunk to think Adley is even a remote possibility with 4 years left til FA. I didn't realize he was that far away. We need to start looking at who is closest to FA, not who is furthest away for extensions. That's seems to be almost none of the young guys. Even adding just 2 yrs for Adley you take him to age 30 which could very well completely eliminate his huge payday as a catcher at that age on the next contract. He isn't going for that unless the offer is crazy good (not that I would be opposed). Same with Gunnar these guys are just not going to want to throw away FA years that far off in the distance. 

But going over the list now no young guy is even close to FA which is a huge problem (correct me if I am wrong), you might need to look at trades instead. Yeah those type of early deals "happen" but how often? Rarely. 

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

Ya'll are drunk to think Adley is even a remote possibility with 4 years left til FA. I didn't realize he was that far away. We need to start looking at who is closest to FA, not who is furthest away for extensions. That's seems to be almost none of the young guys. Even adding just 2 yrs for Adley you take him to age 30 which could very well completely eliminate his huge payday as a catcher at that age on the next contract. He isn't going for that unless the offer is crazy good (not that I would be opposed). Same with Gunnar these guys are just not going to want to throw away FA years that far off in the distance. 

But going over the list now no young guy is even close to FA which is a huge problem (correct me if I am wrong), you might need to look at trades instead. Yeah those type of early deals "happen" but how often? Rarely. 

We don't know what makes Adley tick, what he might or might not do.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’d settle for one quality starting pitcher. The contract extensions can be worked out over spring training. 

I'd be shocked if ownership was in place to make any significant additions before the season begins.  We only have two months (and realistically one month) before all of the leftover FAs will have signed with a team. 

The ability to make a trade for a player and taking on significant salary that current ownership might not take on, cannot be discounted. But again, I'd be very surprised if we see anything major go down that wouldn't have materialized otherwise over the next two months.  Have to wait until FY25. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't know what makes Adley tick, what he might or might not do.

I don't need to be inside someone's brain to see what makes financial sense at his position. FA at 28 signing a 5 yr mega deal (or extended a year early at 27 for same type deal), or FA at 30 being looked at in a completely different way by the market? 

The Braves' publicly traded ownership structure is part of what makes them a neat comp to Rubenstein's drive for profits in his private equity background.  And I guess it's pretty attractive too if Buffett is an investor.

All of this goes back to when Elias was hired.  Goldman was hired for org valuation.  Elias was brought in to revamp our infrastructure to at least meet (probably exceed) industry standards.  That has led to the product and R&D being competitive in the market.  The facilities are locked down for years to come.  A standard PE model was followed, but before the sale was made...

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Adley, Gunnar, Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, Rodriguez, Bradish...and Elias.

In a perfect world, even with rich owners, do we really think the O's will be able to extend them all? The Braves kind of did, but their future payrolls are really high. 

Not to mention the new talent acquired through trades or free agency. Two days ago I had no interest in Woodruff. One year deals aren't for me. Now I could see a Glasnow type of trade/sign deal. Suddenly there's more options than Cease, or we could do a Glasnow type of deal with him.

For the first time in years, the O's will be open for real business. This will be fun.

Personally, I'd priortize Adley, Gunnar, and Basallo first. For Basallo, I'd try to extend him now before he plays a day in the majors. I like Bradish, but I think I'd be fine with him walking as long as we have other pitchers in the pipeline at that point. For G-Rod, I need to see more from him first before I commit to him long term. Holliday's a bit of a wildcard, since I don't think his father would ever advise him to sign a team friendly extension prior to promotion. So we're probably just going to have see how things play out with him. 

So to answer your question, I think some of these situations will work themselves out over the next few years and I don't expect them to extend all of the players you listed. 

I'd love to see a list of all the premier players who signed extensions with 4 years (plus) left on rookie deals, it can't be many. And for guys that haven't even played in the majors yet? Come on why are we even talking about those guys. Adley situation is complicated even more by how old he is. Honestly if we are being serious the play is probably to not pay him at all and ride that horse for everything we can get out of him. But PR wise that probably is not an option, unless he makes it clear he won't sign until FA. 

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Personally, I'd priortize Adley, Gunnar, and Basallo first. For Basallo, I'd try to extend him now before he plays a day in the majors. I like Bradish, but I think I'd be fine with him walking as long as we have other pitchers in the pipeline at that point. For G-Rod, I need to see more from him first before I commit to him long term. Holliday's a bit of a wildcard, since I don't think his father would ever advise him to sign a team friendly extension prior to promotion. So we're probably just going to have see how things play out with him. 

So to answer your question, I think some of these situations will work themselves out over the next few years and I don't expect them to extend all of the players you listed. 

I don't see Adley, Gunnar, or Holliday doing anything this early. In Adley's case, I wouldn't want to anyway, I'd rather see how he holds up over the next couple of years. If there's an extension with any of them, I'd expect it to play out like Stephen Strasburg (another Boras client), where it's not done until the last year before free agency. It wouldn't be at a discount, but it would avoid open-market bidding. Depends on what the players want though.

Basallo is a good idea, although I might wait until a few months in this year to offer that, just to see how it goes. I don't know if he's can't miss enough to extend without even seeing him in AAA. There's no rush.

8 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

I don't need to be inside someone's brain to see what makes financial sense at his position. FA at 28 signing a 5 yr mega deal (or extended a year early at 27 for same type deal), or FA at 30 being looked at in a completely different way by the market? 

You need to be in his head to see if that is something he cares about.

You know what you would do, you don't know what motivates him.

Let's be honest, he's set for life either way.

3 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

I'd love to see a list of all the premier players who signed extensions with 4 years (plus) left on rookie deals, it can't be many. And for guys that haven't even played in the majors yet? Come on why are we even talking about those guys. Adley situation is complicated even more by how old he is. Honestly if we are being serious the play is probably to not pay him at all and ride that horse for everything we can get out of him. But PR wise that probably is not an option, unless he makes it clear he won't sign until FA. 

You do know that teams are signing guys these days who haven't debuted in the Majors. The Tigers just did that what last week?

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's wild to me how many people are out here - as Orioles fans having lived through Orioles things - assuming a) this sale will be quick, b) it will have an impact on this offseason, c) it means players will get extended, d) it means the payroll is going back to the $150 range, etc. 

Maybe all those things happen and we all live happily ever after. But come on folks. I'm surprised at how many of us are willingly setting ourselves up for disappointment at this early stage. Before we even know anything, really. 

If this somehow gets done before the end of ST then I could see Holliday extending. He’s got the incentive to. He just got married. Wants to buy his own big house and such. An extension would mean that he gets to start the year in the MLB.