Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias and Boras are already cozy, IMO.   We just don’t buy his guy but I think Boras likes and respects Mike.

That’s a good point, we definitely don’t have an issue signing Boras guys in the draft. And Boras has said that Elias asks him constantly about extensions. But it remains to be seen how Elias will want to spend once given the capacity. 

We’re in a weird spot where the only thing the team really needs is SP, but big deals for Snell or Montgomery may not be the most wise use of resources on a pure projected $/WAR basis, and 5+ year deals would run into the period when the core starts to get more expensive. They are not the “Astroball” formula. The formula is probably more to accumulate prospects and trade for cost controlled pitching, but they’ve been trying to do that already and haven’t been able to, and that’s not leveraging the potential sudden ability to increase payroll right now.

Adley, Gunnar and Holliday may not be willing to sign extensions, and even if they are that also doesn’t do anything to improve the team now or take advantage of more 2024 payroll. 

So even if Rubenstein comes in and says let’s spend some money to make our team better right now, what exactly are they going to do? Can only be a good thing but I’m unsure exactly how it’s going to unfold, and on what timeline. 

The biggest immediate factor may be that the potential for running higher payrolls allows Elias to loosen his grip on some prospects in trades, given he may no longer need to prepare for essentially being required to fill every position on the team with pre-arb and arb players in future years. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I didn't know Adley was a Boras client.  This makes all the extensions we are hoping for way less likely.  Reasonable extensions for Boras clients are also known as record setting extensions.

I've not seen anything credible that says he is.

15 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

100% agree…lock up homegrown studs and subsidize as needed.

Right…no one should expecting this team to all of a sudden spend 150-200M on the payroll but sensible things like extensions and smart FA signings should be more likely. 

5 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Lots of love on MLB Network radio this morning. Lots of excitment 

I only listened to MLB radio for about 10 min this morning on my drive in and they were def showing a lot of love.  Saying that this would cause absurd shockwaves through the MLB.  Touting the flexibility, the really good farm system, the low payroll and the fact that Robenstein is in his 70's and will most likely will be pushing hard to bring championships home.  They were really gushing that it was a game changer for the league. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I didn't know Adley was a Boras client.  This makes all the extensions we are hoping for way less likely.  Reasonable extensions for Boras clients are also known as record setting extensions.

Scott Boras is 71 years old. He has as much to benefit from his guys signing early extensions as his clients and the teams do.

5 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I only listened to MLB radio for about 10 min this morning on my drive in and they were def showing a lot of love.  Saying that this would cause absurd shockwaves through the MLB.  Touting the flexibility, the really good farm system, the low payroll and the fact that Robenstein is in his 70's and will most likely will be pushing hard to bring championships home.  They were really gushing that it was a game changer for the league. 

My hope is that the new ownership gives Elias a nice budget amount and lets him do his stuff.   There's no reason why this team can't have a payroll around $125M and continue it's developmental success.  I would just like to see them have the ability to get that one or two pieces of the puzzle that could put them over the top.   

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Did you read throughout the thread, or did you just see my post and respond? 

There have been people calling for $150-180 million. There's been people saying they should extend Adley and Gunnar before ST.

There's a lot of ways to improve what is already a great team, but I don't think doubling the payroll will be one of them...at least not in the next couple of years. Once again, everything I post is my opinion, but I don't think a group of billionaires bought the team to waste money. 

No I just responded to your post. To be honest until yesterday I have kind of been in hibernation mode with the O's offseason because the inactivity was too frustrating. And combined with the blunder of last season's trade deadline, I just didn't have the interest in anymore of Angelos shenanigans. That's why I was asking the question.

A $120 million dollar payroll could probably get us Snell, Cease, and an extension for 1 of Adley/Gunnar/Holliday. $150 can probably net us the former (the two pitchers) along with 2 of the later (extending our own young stars).

I didn't know Adley was a Boras client.  This makes all the extensions we are hoping for way less likely.  Reasonable extensions for Boras clients are also known as record setting extensions.

I've not seen anything credible that says he is.

Upvote

Adley is not represented by Boras.

21 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

That’s a good point, we definitely don’t have an issue signing Boras guys in the draft. And Boras has said that Elias asks him constantly about extensions. But it remains to be seen how Elias will want to spend once given the capacity. 

We’re in a weird spot where the only thing the team really needs is SP, but big deals for Snell or Montgomery may not be the most wise use of resources on a pure projected $/WAR basis, and 5+ year deals would run into the period when the core starts to get more expensive. They are not the “Astroball” formula. The formula is probably more to accumulate prospects and trade for cost controlled pitching, but they’ve been trying to do that already and haven’t been able to, and that’s not leveraging the potential sudden ability to increase payroll right now.

Adley, Gunnar and Holliday may not be willing to sign extensions, and even if they are that also doesn’t do anything to improve the team now or take advantage of more 2024 payroll. 

So even if Rubenstein comes in and says let’s spend some money to make our team better right now, what exactly are they going to do? Can only be a good thing but I’m unsure exactly how it’s going to unfold, and on what timeline. 

The biggest immediate factor may be that the potential for running higher payrolls allows Elias to loosen his grip on some prospects in trades, given he may no longer need to prepare for essentially being required to fill every position on the team with pre-arb and arb players in future years. 

IMO with the new influx of cash/ability to spend on an average MLB level, which is more than double our current payroll, along with the amount of positional prospects that we currently posses; it should not matter whether we acquire pitching talent through FA or trade. Honestly, I would like us to do both.

But what I do know is that we do not CURRENTLY have the requisite pitching talent to contend. Like our borderline acceptable rotation is worse AND we do not have Felix this year. I get that Elias is a very patient person, but we just can't afford to operate any longer in a holding pattern given that it is go time and we have a 101 win team who has legit World Series aspirations with the right starting pitching moves. It is an absolute must that we do something meaningful in order to win because right now we do not have enough/the right pieces to complete a championship puzzle. - Too many redundant positional prospects, not enough Major League impactful starting pitchers.

2 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Just heard this got expedited to be done before opening day,   They upped the offer to get it done.  Should get the rest of the MLB owners approval next week.     

Like I mentioned before,  there “appears” to be the desire to spend to win.  They know the window we have…   Take it fwiw.    Flame away..

Yea my only worry is that it holds up any thing the O's can do for the rest of this offseason

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

By Spotrac the Orioles 2024 payroll is just over $80M. The median is $147M between Arizona and Colorado. Even if the Orioles just return to the 2012-2018 late Peter Angelos, post-Nats days of spending and are middle of the pack, there’s capacity to nearly double the payroll.

Will be very interesting to see what timetable this deal gets approved on and if it affects the rest of this offseason. Every single player the Orioles have the opportunity to drop big money on now - Gunnar, Adley and Holliday as extensions, Snell and Montgomery as FAs, and Cease as trade & extend - are Boras clients. I imagine it’s going to be very hard to find deals that Boras will agree to that Elias/Sig will run through the computer as positive value. 

If Rubenstein comes in the door wanting to make a splash he’s going to have to get cozy with Boras right away, and that could end up testing Elias’ better judgment. But the Orioles still have many years before their core starts to get expensive and now is the time to start spending. 

Hi Cap-

I think middle of the pack in payroll is a good goal-don't forget that revenue is up 40-50% from that period depending on how you take the snapshot.  

I don't think the owners can move on this by the upcoming owners meetings-new ownership has to be vetted and approved-unless it is fast-tracked to get rid of the Angelos family.

I personally think ME has known about this for some time and has been able to plan accordingly-that's the reason he hasn't left for a better opportunity.  I'm not sure how they would handle FA signings as any large signing bonuses or payments would likely be delayed.  The WFT ran into a similar issue where singing bonuses were delayed by a couple months.