The Angelos appreciation thread

Moose Milligan

7 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Wait, Olney/ESPN wrote the 1996 Orioles made the World Series. I must have been living in an alternate reality, lol.

Yeah, which paralell time line did I land in when I tried to go back and tell security to remove Jeffrey Maier from his seat?

4 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Yeah, which paralell time line did I land in when I tried to go back and tell security to remove Jeffrey Maier from his seat?

Hopefully the one where Sinbad plays a genie in Shazaam and the Berenstein Bears are spelled the "correct" way and you can bring back proof

• Haha 2

I liked Peter Angelos in some ways.  Local Baltimore guy through and through with some interesting pro-labor roots for an owner (I personally admired his refusal to field replacement players and thought it was cool when he brought the Cuban baseball team in to Baltimore). Plus, he was willing to actually spend at times and he was in charge when we got Camden Yards.  Problem was, he meddled and the product on the field was always the worse for it as we all know.  Then on the other hand you've got John Angelos, who was basically an embarrassment, but who at least let Mike Elias build up the team into one of its most promising positions ever.

Edited by blid
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, blid said:

Plus, he was willing to actually spend at times and he was in charge when we got Camden Yards.  

Eli Jacobs was the owner when the team moved to Camden Yards.  He's the reason for "Oriole Park" at Camden Yards...

I most appreciate that he made a sincere effort to win a World Series in the 1990s. The Orioles had one of the highest payrolls in baseball in the late 1990s, and they got to back-to-back ALCS as a result. I also appreciate that he and his family had a genuine commitment to Baltimore and were willing at times to go against the other owners, such as during the 1994 strike. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SilentJames said:

Let's also remember that Denny Bautista - well, it wasnt much of a loss in the end. 

Trades should be judged based on the information as known at the time. Bautista had great stuff and a legitimate chance of being a valuable MLB player. He was BA's #59 overall prospect going into 2004. Grimsley was horrible, a 36-year-old reliever with a career ERA of 4.75.

Trading your #1 prospect for Jason Grimsley is like yelling at the top of your lungs that you can't tell a baseball player from a xylophone.

It would be like if last winter the O's had traded DL Hall straight up for Tommy Hunter. That's blindingly stupid, no matter how it works out later.

Hey, the guy got us Elias, and didn't meddle while he rebuilt the farm and got us into the playoffs.  That's worth something.

The fact that cynical me thinks he was trying to boost the club's value for sale still lurks in my brain, but I'll take it.

• Upvote 1