What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

Frobby

What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

• Couldn’t be happier - great pitcher, would have been willing to give up more if needed
    • Love it - great pitcher, price is fair and reasonable
    • Like it a lot -great pitcher, but the price was a bit steep
    • Okay with it but nervous - putting a lot of eggs in one-year basket for two good cost-controlled players and a pick
    • Don’t really like it

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/24 at 09:23

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Burnes has confirmed he is testing the market unless he gets totally blown away. I don't think it's likely we extend him. But that's ok!

It'll be good sport watching the contrast in workload strain permitted on Corbin Burnes in contrast to Grayson Rodriguez and Kyle Bradish in 2024.

Go get 'em, big dog!

It’s a great trade. And yet — something about all of these amazing young players the O’s have accumulated, I kind of wanted to keep them all and see how they developed. Loved that live arm of Hall, and I didn’t get to see enough of Ortiz. 

I think I may get over my reservations if Burnes has a solid year and we find a way to keep him.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, interloper said:

Burnes has confirmed he is testing the market unless he gets totally blown away. I don't think it's likely we extend him. But that's ok!

I realize what Burnes said last summer but my statement speaks more to the future relationships established between our ownership, our front office and his agent. 

FWIW: Burnes already updated his X profile to Orioles as employer and Baltimore as his location.  Means nothing but feels good.

I love it, but for me it's a bit bittersweet.  I'm a huge Ortiz fan and really wanted to see him get a fair chance in Baltimore, and would have much rather seen him playing last year over Frazier/Mateo/Urias and was hoping to see him this year instead of much of Mateo or Urias.  Now I'm afraid we are stuck seeing more of Mateo and Urias than we should until they are ready/willing to bring up Mayo (depending on position) and Holiday (who knows when that will be).  Hall has tremendous talent, but I don't know if he will ever put it all together.  The picks are a wash as I expect to get the comp pick when he declines the QO.  

I think it's a great trade, I think the price was fair, and I like it much more than Cease as I trust Burnes will be much better than Cease.  I hope Ortiz goes on and becomes a great player.  He was never going to get a chance here as we have so much talent coming up.  I usually don't really care what happens to players after they leave the Os organization, but I'll be watching Ortiz.  

Great couple of days to be an Os fan.  New ownership and a great trade.  Very happy and excited for the season.  

I like the trade, and voted "the steep price" option. I don't think the price was steep in the context of trading 2 players for 1 year, but steep in losing Hall.

It's a bit unfair to Ortiz because his position has so much redundancy in the ML level and MiL's. The reality is though, he could go on to have a much better career than Hall but losing Hall as a pitcher with a live arm stings. Either way, we all know that there's a price for trying to get that extra "bump" and keep stacking the odds for the playoffs. In the end, I think the trade was reasonable. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

In the end, it’s giving up Hall that we could regret.  Ortiz was not going to get much opportunity in Baltimore, and now he’ll get the chance to shine that he deserves, and I’ll be really happy for Ortiz if he goes on to be a good major league regular.  I won’t really rue his departure.   But I will rue Hall’s departure if he becomes either a good starter or a Hader-like reliever.  And, the fact that I’ve been following him for 7 years and won’t get the payoff will sting.  It’ll be worth it if Burnes shines and gets us deep into the postseason, but I could end up hating it if Burnes is one and done and his presence doesn’t get us any further than last year. 

I don’t sweat the pick, which we’ll get back if Burnes has a healthy year and turns down a QO.

This, basically. 

Losing Hall hurts, IMO. I kinda would've rather seen say, Johnson and Povich go. Or Johnson / Povich and Norby. But who knows if Milwaukee would've accepted that, it might be that they really wanted Hall. In which case, is kinda scary, given Milwaukee's record with pitchers. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think we probably lost this trade. 6 years of Hall for 1 of Burnes, I just don't know...and I don't think we have arms the upside of Hall (hopefully this means they really rate McDermott? He's one who might have a similar upside, I guess...besides De Leon who is a long way off, of course). Hopefully this is just Arrieta-itis on my part, but as a big fan of Arrieta who hated to see him go, a pitcher who had similar problems to Hall and a similar upside, I really worry about Milwaukee fixing him and him becoming a top starter. 

Taking the devil's advocate to my opinion, I can see an analytical approach with Hall saying: between the fluctuations in velocity we've already seen due to injury, the injury issues in general, and the issues already present as a starter even when fully healthy, we're talking a small possibility that it works out for him. I'm guessing that's why they made the trade. 

Edited by Flash- bd
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

This, basically. 

Losing Hall hurts, IMO. I kinda would've rather seen say, Johnson and Povich go. Or Johnson / Povich and Norby. But who knows if Milwaukee would've accepted that, it might be that they really wanted Hall. In which case, is kinda scary, given Milwaukee's record with pitchers. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think we probably lost this trade. 6 years of Hall for 1 of Burnes, I just don't know...and I don't think we have arms the upside of Hall (hopefully this means they really rate McDermott? He's one who might have a similar upside, I guess...besides De Leon who is a long way off, of course). Hopefully this is just Arrieta-itis on my part, but as a big fan of Arrieta who hated to see him go, a pitcher who had similar problems to Hall and a similar upside, I really worry about Milwaukee fixing him and him becoming a top starter. 

Taking the devil's advocate to my opinion, I can see an analytical approach with Hall saying: between the fluctuations in velocity we've already seen due to injury, the injury issues in general, and the issues already present as a starter even when fully healthy, we're talking a small possibility that it works out for him. I'm guessing that's why they made the trade. 

I don't think that this is a trade that has any losers.  For them, they get two guys who may shape up into big contributors for them, who had limited opportunities in our structure and needed new space to take their next steps. 

And for us, we get one of the best starters in baseball to join what is now a complete and deadly rotation. 

And this one isn't going to hurt as bad as, say, the Andrew Miller trade, where we lost a not-well-replaced, decent young starting pitcher for five seasons, to obtain a guy who threw fewer than 30 innings for us and barely moved the needle.  These days, we have a stacked minor league system, a player development team that has most guys performing at max level, and now an owner who likely won't cheap out on us doing the things needed to absorb trades like this and stay healthy.  This is a dream time to be a fan, and I'm hoping no one wakes me up.

• Upvote 3

I’m somewhere between 2 and 3. I wouldn’t say the price was steep, I just think Hall could be somebody and I hate giving him away for a one year rental. 

The best option for a team with such minimal payroll commitments would be free agency. I guess we have to try to evaluate the trade under the details of new ownership, we just don’t know what those parameters will be. If you can spend to make up for the loss of someone like Hall, or can even extend Burnes, it looks a lot better. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

One final positive is that we don’t have to hear this crap about how Elias can’t pull off a major trade.  This one’s huge and we can put that BS to bed.  

Hey now.  It was correct to say that Elias hadn't pulled off a major trade and question if he would be able to.

When your trade deadline acquisitions are Fuji and Flaherty it opens yourself up to questions.

Would be a lot harder to make that argument now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hey now.  It was correct to say that Elias hadn't pulled off a major trade and question if he would be able to.

When your trade deadline acquisitions are Fuji and Flaherty it opens yourself up to questions.

Would be a lot harder to make that argument now.

Seems more likely to have been the constraints of ownership based on how things have unfolded. I wonder how aggressive Elias will be in trades now. 

• Upvote 1