Witt Extension; Adley Comparison

Bahama O's Fan

I think the deal is a win for both sides. Witt Jr can still get to free agency at age 30. I would offer the same contract to Gunnar with one change. I would try to front load some of the money these first couple years with a signing bonus. We have payroll flexibility right now to offer 20 million per season over next 3 seasons.

22 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think the deal is a win for both sides. Witt Jr can still get to free agency at age 30. I would offer the same contract to Gunnar with one change. I would try to front load some of the money these first couple years with a signing bonus. We have payroll flexibility right now to offer 20 million per season over next 3 seasons.

Repeat after me future money is worth less than money today.

Makes no sense to front load.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure it does.  For the exact reason you state and for the very reason Rbiggs suggested it.  Let that compound interest get working for Gunnar right now.

ZiPS loves the deal:

“How good is this projection? ZiPS would happily throw another $100 million Witt’s way, meaning the Royals still have a lot of room for this deal to be absolutely fabulous from their point of view. Note that ZiPS isn’t even assuming Witt is a +10 defensive shortstop; 2023 was only enough for it to believe that he’s league average. If I tell ZiPS to assume he’s a -10 shortstop with the glove right now, it still thinks $240 million would be a fair deal. In other words, liking this contract from Kansas City’s perspective does not require you to abandon all skepticism about his defense.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/royals-sign-bobby-witt-jr-to-franchise-record-extension/

Interestingly, at least for the next three years, ZiPS likes Gunnar better than Witt.  

On 2/5/2024 at 12:31 PM, CaptainRedbeard said:

First impression is that this seems like a pretty bad deal for the Royals. They bought out 3 free agent years, but at $30-$35M each and the price was guaranteeing $140M in 4 consecutive opt out seasons for the player at $35M a year. That guaranteed money with 4 opt outs is massive value to the player.

I didn't read thru the entire thread so apologies if this was mentioned but Kansas City has a ballot referendum coming up to extend a sales tax for a new downtown Royals stadium (and new or improved Chiefs stadium). They're under deadline in the next couple of weeks to finalize the stadium site so I'd wager the timing of Witt's extension is intended to drum support for the vote. A $50M overpay for the face of the franchise is chump change compared to fleecing the state (2 states?) for $1 billion.

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2024 at 8:13 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Understood but right now we have salary flexibility. Between arbitration and extensions our payroll is going to increase dramatically. Being able to negate some of the effects now will be important in the back end. Between Adley, Gunnar, Jackson, Bradish and Grayson that’s 100 million dollars minimum.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 8:13 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Is it really wise to just assume that the US won't go into an extended deflationary period like we saw between the War of 1812 and the Civil War?  Sure, that's essentially unheard of since then, but maybe Elias knows things we don't. There's strong indications he's part of the Illuminati.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Is it really wise to just assume that the US won't go into an extended deflationary period like we saw between the War of 1812 and the Civil War?  Sure, that's essentially unheard of since then, but maybe Elias knows things we don't. There's strong indications he's part of the Illuminati.

Good.  Maybe part of the world domination will be O's domination.